Re: MARCH Exhibit Rooms at InfoAge - 11/20 exhibit

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 45 , Apr 3, 2008
      Among other things, Bill Degnan reported on some of the DEC equipment
      and how one of the two exhibit rooms might be used to exhibit it. He
      also mentioned my proposed "DEC exhibit". He seemed unclear about my
      exhibit plans. (Bill's report is exerpted at the end of my post here
      for reference.)

      I take his comments as a request for a report or reply from me. I'm
      working on the PDP-11/20 computer and its programming materials that
      MARCH recieved a few years ago. I"ve reported on that here in this
      mail list. The Web page I set up for the work in progress, is still on
      my Web site:

      http://www.retrotechnology.com/pdp11/

      Here's my response to Bill's report, specific to the DEC stuff.

      1) I'm only working on an 11/20 system exhibit. I only need a table or
      two and the wall behind them for space. The hardware and document
      content will be taken from the 11/20 system's inventory - see the Web
      page. I have some new content, several pages and photos, from the
      person who donated the 11/20. I'll add those to the Web page in less
      than a week. Now that MARCH has an exhibit date and I have some new
      materials, I can work on this again.

      There are no changes from my prior plans, which I put on that Web page
      for good reason.

      2) My responsiblities are limited to the 11/20. I very much hope that
      equipment and those materials have been kept intact and SEPERATE FROM
      THE REST OF THE DEC COLLECTION after the weekend's activities. It is,
      in my informed opinion, a uniquely complete set of items and should
      not be mixed up. Evan, Bill, please advise me as to the status of
      those 11/20 items today.

      3) MARCH's plans for the rest of the DEC equipment are up to MARCH -
      Bill Degnan being an officer of MARCH. There is no conflict between
      "my" exhibit and Bill's statements, but his plans are of larger scope
      and will required considerable work AND SKILL. I'm not volunteering to
      work on restoring PDP-11's or building a larger exhibit of them.
      That's outside what I offered to do, and have done.

      4) That said, some other items in the DEC collection should get some
      attention. The 11/05 system boxes are easy to show off, move around,
      just as they are.

      The PDP-11 system which was used for comuter graphics, acquired with
      many disk packs and specialized hardware, should be considered for a
      non-functional exhibit. Over time it could be considered for
      operational work. (A search of this mail list will find some
      discussion about that system. I have some photos of it, when I helped
      unload it at InfoAge.)

      But I think it will be VERY VERY DIFFICULT to make it or any of the
      larger PDP-11's "operational" as Bill suggests. These are not Altairs
      or Tandy's, my friends. I know the effort involved, I know how it is
      done, what it takes - and that's why I know I'm not the one to do it.

      5) Nothing I have said above is new.

      Herb Johnson

      Message 45 of 45 , Jun 16, 2008
        Yes -- thanks!

        Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2008 01:56:25 -0000
        From: billdeg <billdeg@...>
        To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [midatlanticretro] MARCH Exhibit Rooms at InfoAge

        We were inspired by the Radio exhibit down the hall, but they presented a
        lot of good ideas for how we can construct our room exhibits.

        There are two rooms we can use for exhibits. The plan is to complete the
        work for these two rooms by September 13.

        Space is an issue. To make the best of the space we have we cleared a lot
        of junk to other rooms. We replaced ceiling tiles, painted, etc.

        We need to move all MARCH display cases and/or shelving into these rooms.
        Available shelf/case space will dictate exactly how many systems we can
        display.

        As far as systems go, we will use only the best computers from our
        collection, working if possible. Wall space will be used for posters, ads,
        and pictures of systems we don't have room to include.

        ---ROOMS---

        Room 1
        A relatively large rectangular room with large windows that let in a lot of
        light. There are also two doors to this room from the hallway.

        +------[ door ]-------------[ door ]--------+
        | {2} |
        | |
        | |
        |{1} |
        | |
        | |
        | {3}|
        | |
        +---[ wind ]--[ wind ]--[ wind ]--[ wind ]--+

        {1} Camp Evans Exhibit (Evan)
        {2} Local History (team)
        {3} 70's and 80's micros (team)

        Camp Evans Exhibit
        Evan will assemble the content for this exhibit. This will be a wall
        exhibit, with a few artifacts. I anticipate that this exhibit will mesh
        into the Local History exhibit. You might find references to the
        ENIAC, UNIVAC and the earliest computer history.

        Local History (later)
        This exhibit will focus on computer manufacturers from the MidAtlantic area.
        Of this classification, the most complete and presentable system in our
        collection is our AT&T 3B2 computer. It works, we have manuals, etc. We
        will also include a wall exhibit and if room other computers such as our
        Commodore Amiga 1000. Do we have a Franklin? We will need more materials
        for the walls.

        70's and 80's micros.
        Altair 8800 (looking for a working serial terminal)
        IBM PC 5150 (the "A" version, very rare) - Bill restoring
        SWTPc 6800 - Bob Grieb restoring
        Commodore PET 2001-8 - Bryan Pope restoring
        Osborne 1 - needs testing
        TRS 80 Model 1 - needs testing
        Commodore 64 - works
        Apple ][ Plus or ][ e - works

        Room 2
        A square room with large windows that let in a lot of light. There is one
        door to this room from the hallway.

        | |
        | |
        | |