RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: oscilloscope wanted

  • Kelly Leavitt
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 29, 2005

      It is July 10th at the Sussex County fairgrounds in Augusta.

      You probably would find one there. It is a pretty big Hamfest.

      I'll be working the gate for tailgaters :-). Let me know if anyone needs
      directions.

      73 de Kelly
      KB2SYD
    • Evan
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 29, 2005
        I used to go regularly, up to about a year ago, when I moved back to New Jersey.  There are typically a handful of people selling vintage things.  Mostly that is just PC junk, but once in a while, you find something really interesting.

        Of course, if people have never been to the swapmeet at all, then going for the first time is quite an experience.  This is MIT, remember, and sometimes the usual rules do not apply.   :)

        If enough people are interested, we could postpone the DC-area field trip plans, and focus on the New England instead -- the swapmeet, MIT museum, Rhode Island Computer Museum, and I think there is a Mark 1 at Harvard.  There is also a generic tour called "Innovation Odyssey" that covers computers and several other things around Boston/Cambridge.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 20, 2005
          Bill and all, I posted a message on electronics_101
          about an older HP 100 mhz scope I've been offered -
          wanted to get some feedback. Someone submitted that
          Tektronix 7000 series scopes are plentiful on Ebay
          say, and "reasonable", so you can always find parts or
          whatever. Keep in mind though that scopes need to be
          calibrated, and a roomful of test equipment is needed
          for that task. There's always people that can perform
          this service, believe me some people actually have
          loads of this stuph and are able to work from their
          spare bedroom or whatever. Not sure what something
          like that costs, haven't even touched a scope in
          years, but I was told that you can get them already
          calibrated on Ebay or wherever. It helps to have a
          certificate from a reputable lab though.
          There used to be hardware/software to turn puters
          into oscilloscopes/logic analyzers. There was even a
          program called SoftLa some years ago that didn't even
          employ any hardware I don't think that turned a 486 or
          whatever into a multi channel logic analyzer. And it
          was cheap.
          The reality is, there are always back doors. I
          remember reading on some site that to align a floppy
          drive, you need to move the head forward (or
          backward?). I was staring at a pc drive the other day
          and it seemed logical. The trick I guess is to do it
          reliably/repeatably, perhaps by utilizing a piece of
          precision screw and some kind of nut, like the way the
          lead screw on a lathe operates. I'm just rambling now,
          but there might be some sanity to such caterwauls.
          The truth is though, if a cheap scope found it's way
          into the arsenal of every vintage megalomaniac, it
          wouldnn't hurt at all. I'm sure an old 20mhz Tek could
          be found for next to nothing.
          I'll report any new findings as they're found :)

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 20, 2005
            Chris,

            Most any ham radio club will have one or more members who can calibrate a
            scope. The club that co-sponsors TCF might be a good place to start.

            Jim