RE: [midatlanticretro] oscilloscope wanted

  • Chris M
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 28 11:32 PM
      Evan, have you been to the MIT flea market in recent
      times? It's been probably 7 or 8 years for me, and I
      was wondering if much vintage stuph shows up there.

      Yahoo! Sports
      http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 29 3:54 AM

        It is July 10th at the Sussex County fairgrounds in Augusta.

        You probably would find one there. It is a pretty big Hamfest.

        I'll be working the gate for tailgaters :-). Let me know if anyone needs
        directions.

        73 de Kelly
        KB2SYD
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 29 10:00 AM
          I used to go regularly, up to about a year ago, when I moved back to New Jersey.  There are typically a handful of people selling vintage things.  Mostly that is just PC junk, but once in a while, you find something really interesting.

          Of course, if people have never been to the swapmeet at all, then going for the first time is quite an experience.  This is MIT, remember, and sometimes the usual rules do not apply.   :)

          If enough people are interested, we could postpone the DC-area field trip plans, and focus on the New England instead -- the swapmeet, MIT museum, Rhode Island Computer Museum, and I think there is a Mark 1 at Harvard.  There is also a generic tour called "Innovation Odyssey" that covers computers and several other things around Boston/Cambridge.

          href="http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer">http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer -- you're sure
          > to find a decent used
          > oscilloscope there!
          >
          > Or check out my favorite shop, Greenbrook
          > Electronics, on Rt.
          22 East in
          > Dunnellen (Greenbrook?), NJ.  They aren't cheap
          but
          > the selection is good
          > and the staff is very
          knowledgeable.

          ________________________________

          > From:
          midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

          want to learn how to align disk drives with an
          > oscilloscope.
          >
          > Anyone looking to sell an oscilloscope (that works)
          > with
          probes?

          > There are a lot for sale on ebay, not sure what
          > need exactly, being
          > only a pseudo-engineer.  I don't
          want to over spend
          > and I don't need
          > anything new because I'll
          only be using the scope on
          > hardware older
          > than 20 years.
          Any suggestions? Thanks for you
          > time.
          >
          > Bill
          Degnan

          > on the web.

          *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 20, 2005
            Bill and all, I posted a message on electronics_101
            about an older HP 100 mhz scope I've been offered -
            wanted to get some feedback. Someone submitted that
            Tektronix 7000 series scopes are plentiful on Ebay
            say, and "reasonable", so you can always find parts or
            whatever. Keep in mind though that scopes need to be
            calibrated, and a roomful of test equipment is needed
            for that task. There's always people that can perform
            this service, believe me some people actually have
            loads of this stuph and are able to work from their
            spare bedroom or whatever. Not sure what something
            like that costs, haven't even touched a scope in
            years, but I was told that you can get them already
            calibrated on Ebay or wherever. It helps to have a
            certificate from a reputable lab though.
            There used to be hardware/software to turn puters
            into oscilloscopes/logic analyzers. There was even a
            program called SoftLa some years ago that didn't even
            employ any hardware I don't think that turned a 486 or
            whatever into a multi channel logic analyzer. And it
            was cheap.
            The reality is, there are always back doors. I
            remember reading on some site that to align a floppy
            drive, you need to move the head forward (or
            backward?). I was staring at a pc drive the other day
            and it seemed logical. The trick I guess is to do it
            reliably/repeatably, perhaps by utilizing a piece of
            precision screw and some kind of nut, like the way the
            lead screw on a lathe operates. I'm just rambling now,
            but there might be some sanity to such caterwauls.
            The truth is though, if a cheap scope found it's way
            into the arsenal of every vintage megalomaniac, it
            wouldnn't hurt at all. I'm sure an old 20mhz Tek could
            be found for next to nothing.
            I'll report any new findings as they're found :)

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 20, 2005
              Chris,

              Most any ham radio club will have one or more members who can calibrate a
              scope. The club that co-sponsors TCF might be a good place to start.

              Jim