This weekend - what to bring

    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
      All,

      Remember to bring your favorite tools, those that match what you plan to do
      while on site at InfoAge. You can check with Evan to see what's already
      available as well. It'd be silly to have to buy stuff if we have it at
      home. That includes paint? What do we need Evan?

      Restoration Committee:
      If anyone has a working television that can be used as a video monitor,
      that will be useful for testing machines that output to TV. Ideally bring
      the RF adapter. I noticed last time I was at InfoAge that there were few
      working drives, video, and display terminals. I don't even know if there
      are any working terminals on site, at least nothing that I know has been
      tested/paired up with a system. Bring diagnostic tools software such as
      boot disks if you have them.

      I plan to bring a terminal. I plan to bring a few useful working items
      (not sure what yet). In order to select items for restoration, we will
      have to do some analysis of the systems on-site. I know Evan that you want
      us to do renovations and inventory, but some of us will need time for
      kicking the tires of systems to select the best candidates for restorations
      too. We are going to need access to the preview room for testing
      purposes. Some items in the preview room need work anyway.

      If anyone is planning on bringing a system to be checked out by others in
      the group, let us know. If there is anything I can do to assist I
      will. My specialty is Commodore, IBM PC, and I am good with inspecting at
      least S-100, DEC, and other 70's gear. I always look forward to these
      meetings because they are an opportunity to learn more about hardware.

      I have 74L chips for Bob Grieb, the F-14 flight computer to donate to
      MARCH, MAC SE FD for Kelly. I am going to hold off on bringing the items
      from my earlier "stuff available" post, there was no apparent interest and
      most items are missing parts I have discovered. Not worth it.

      Bill
    • Joe Giliberti

        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
          InfoAge has plenty of tools but they could be scattered and inconsistent.
          So if anyone wants to bring some, that might be a good idea, as Bill said.
          Don't forget that we have full use of NJARC's repair shop in the basement.
          Steve G. built a nice set-up down there, including things like scopes and
          monitors. I have a key for when he's not around.

          I don't anticipate us doing any painting this weekend. If we need to,
          InfoAge will supply it and the necessary equipment.

          Nor do I think we'll do much inventorying. We'll just pick out systems that
          are good fits for our first four exhibits. As Bill noted, the selection
          process in some cases will involve technical analysis.

          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
            Message
            Hold off on any chemicals.  Steve G. (or Fred if he's around) will help us with a heat gun.  As I understand it, the purpose of the heat gun is to get the paint on our hallway doors to loosen and peel, so that it can be easily scraped or otherwise removed (I just wish they hadn't put on the most recent coat a few weeks ago) ... all we'll do with the current blinds is remove them; we'll figure out replacements some other time.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
              Heat gun is the route for the person who is afraid of cancer. We need us some carcinogens! They work best...

              Hold off on any chemicals.  Steve G. (or Fred if he's around) will help us with a heat gun.  As I understand it, the purpose of the heat gun is to get the paint on our hallway doors to loosen and peel, so that it can be easily scraped or otherwise removed (I just wish they hadn't put on the most recent coat a few weeks ago) ... all we'll do with the current blinds is remove them; we'll figure out replacements some other time.
              Are we going to need any tools, chemicals, etc, for working on the room? I know Evan mentioned stripping paint off of something and installing Venetian blinds.

              Joe

            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
                Joe Giliberti wrote:
                > Heat gun is the route for the person who is afraid of cancer. We need us
                > some carcinogens! They work best...

                My favorite is turpentine+heat gun. Burn that crap down!

                Peace... Sridhar
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
                  Just heat unless Fred says otherwise. Sorry.

                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
                    Evan Koblentz wrote:
                    > Just heat unless Fred says otherwise. Sorry.

                    I was being fecetious. Using turpentine or benzene with a heat gun in a
                    closed room is *very* dangerous.

                    Peace... Sridhar
                  • Kelly Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 28, 2008
                      I wish I had room to bring some tools. I just got done loading and my van is FULL!!!! That's after taking both seats out.

                      Kelly

                      Checked by AVG.