Re: [midatlanticretro] Read me :)

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 28, 2008
      Exactly. But I didn't "uncover" anything. It was right there for whoever wanted to read it! We didn't know what we didn't know.

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 11, 2008
        >>> suspected connection between Camp Evans and Mauchly / ENIAC in the early
        1940s

        An update on that research...

        I had some time this weekend to contact the historian's office at Fort
        Monmouth, and also the archives department of the U. of Penn. ... in both
        cases they seemed eager to help ... not that I had any doubts they would, as
        the Penn folks previously helped me with my own computer history research,
        and the Fort Monmouth historian has been very good to InfoAge itself.

        One of the Penn archivists wrote to me:

        >>> was able to find a reference to research performed at the Signal Corps
        Radar Laboratory in the microfilmed exhibits for the ENIAC trial collection.
        I have attached scans of the two pages.

        She's referring to (I'm 99% sure) the patent lawsuit in which Honeywell sued
        Sperry regarding the ENIAC patent. (The original Eckert-Mauchly Computer
        Company was acquired by Remington Rand, which was acquired by Sperry.) That
        was the famous case in which Honeywell put Atanasoff on the stand, and he
        claimed that Mauchly stole key ideas from him, pre-ENIAC. Mauchly's defense
        on behalf of Sperry was that he already had the ideas, and that whatever he
        saw from Atanasoff had no real impact on the development of ENIAC.

        Anyway, the attachments she sent me are two (of two) pages from a single
        document. It's labeled "Defendant's Trial Exhibit #449". (Therefore they
        were exhibit(s) used by Sperry/Mauchly in their defense.)

        The first page is dated April 4, 1942; it's a memo from "T.R. MacDougall,
        Signal Corps Radar Laboratory, Camp Evans, Belmar, New Jersey" -- it's typed
        on Camp Evans letterhead -- and MacDougall is cited as "Captain, Signal
        Corps Contracting Officer". It's addressed to "All contractors". It
        states:

        >>> Patent applications may not be filed on developments under classified
        government contracts unless the following conditions are fulfilled...<<<

        The $60,000 question is: how would this document have been relevant to
        Sperry/Mauchly's defense against claims from Honeywell/Atanasoff regarding
        prior art?

        I don't know the answer. That's going to require a lot more research, and
        I'm told that these documents are all located in (accessible to the public)
        federal archives in and around D.C. ... I knew Fred has been to those
        archives for other research, so he should be able to tell me how to go about
        that. I'm ready to go!

        My initial theory is that Sperry/Mauchly argued, "Of course we didn't file
        sooner for a patent; we weren't allowed to because of Army rules," OR maybe
        they argued, "Any other patents from Honeywell/Atanasoff are invalid because
        they BROKE those rules" -- like I said this will take some more research.

        Regardless, what we REALLY need to figure out is WHY there were any aspects
        of Camp Evans related to ENIAC patents in the first place. After all, it's
        common knowledge that Mauchly/Eckert wrote their proposal and obtained their
        funding via the Army's Ballistics Research Laboratory ... was there some
        secret funding and/or involvement from the Signal Corps research lab,
        specifically from Camp Evans!? (It is very possibly. We already know, for
        a fact, that Camp Evans helped fund Bell Labs' transistor research -- Camp
        Evans' investments were far and wide. Circumstantially, I wonder, "There
        MUST have been AT LEAST a financial connection, if not a technical
        connection, or why else would Mauchly/Eckert have had to obey Camp Evans'
        patent rules?)

        That is something to ponder!!

        The third attachment sent to me by the Penn folks is another federal
        archives citation, but without showing the citation's content. Part of the
        citation mentions:

        >>> Records of the Evans Signal Laboratory, including technical memorandums
        and reports, 1942-46; research and development project records, 1942-51; and
        decimal files, 1940-45.

        I have no clue what they mean by "decimal files" but the first two-third of
        that citation look VERY interesting. I'm going to ask Fred if these are
        records that he has already viewed. I assume that if he already saw these,
        then certainly he'd have recognized if there were ENIAC references,
        especially since he works in the IT industry. On the other hand -- duh! --
        it wouldn't have been called ENIAC in those records; it was only called
        "Project PX" in the early 1940s by military people. I feel just like
        Indiana Jones in "The Last Crusade" when he realized that Jehovah isn't
        spelled with a "J" in Latin. :)

[...]

        (especially those who work on marketing and fundraising) to emphasize the
        museum's history in computers on the same plane as they already emphasize
        for RADAR, etc. (and this is all in addition to the suspected connection
        between Camp Evans and Mauchly / ENIAC in the early 1940s).

        I'm going to sleep now, but it will be tough ... I'm too darn excited.

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 12, 2008
          Last email for tonight (or rather, this morning!)...

          I think it was last summmer that Fred gave me a copy of a 1947 contract
          between Ft. Monmouth / Signal Corps, and the Penn/Moore School, re: use of
          Penn's differential analyzer for Army purposes. (Someone else can look up
          the old email -- I remember putting a copy of the contract into our Yahoo
          page -- but I don't feel like looking it up right now.)

          I recall being not 100% sure that it was a Camp Evans contract specifically,
          vs. a Ft. Monmouth contract generally. The only possible clue is the
          reference to "EL" under "directive number".

          A few minutes ago, I stumbled on proof -- I found a page on the Penn
          archives web site -- in citing some reference box, it says, >>> Evans Signal
          Lab - Contract W-36-039-SC-34224

          And on the contract Fred gave us a while ago, it says, "Contract W 36-039
          sc-34224". :)

          See here: http://www.archives.upenn.edu/faids/upd/upd8_4invtry.pdf

          Of course this is the LEAST important of the three or four various Moore
          School / Camp Evans links that I'm researching, but it's still good to know.
          We can extract other clues from it -- for example if I find other documents
          that list "EL" in the "directive" box, then I'll know that is in fact a code
          for "Evans Lab", etc.

          And now, to snooze.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 13, 2008
            You may consider doing an oral history effort.
            Whereas I don't know what he's doing now, I worked for a man in
            the early eighties at Tracor in Southern Maryland who was a Navy
            yeoman worked on the ENIAC project for Grace Hooper. His name
            was Bouchillion and he's probably still down in Calvert or
            St. Mary's Cty if he did not move back to Louisiana.
            bs

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 13, 2008
              Thanks, I might check that out.