Read me :)

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 27 11:01 PM
      Tonight I re-read that article about the Army Signal Corps, mentioned a night or two ago ... I wanted to make sure that I fully understood it.

      Here is the bottom line:
      1. The biggest reasons why modern computers can share data is because of standards and compatibility.
      2. One of the first -- if not the very first -- serious research projects in computer data-sharing was called "Fieldata", performed by the Army Signal Corps from 1955-1962.
      3. The home of Fieldata was Fort Monmouth, New Jersey.
      4. Various labs of Fort Monmouth worked on various Fieldata tasks, but the major computing research happened at the Evans Signal Lab.
      5. Therefore, Camp Evans -- a.k.a. the modern InfoAge Science Center, where the MARCH museum is based -- is a VERY important but thus far unheralded location in the history of modern computing!!!

      We all know about Camp Evans' role in the history of RADAR and space communications. From now on, I'm going to URGE everyone at InfoAge (especially those who work on marketing and fundraising) to emphasize the museum's history in computers on the same plane as they already emphasize for RADAR, etc. (and this is all in addition to the suspected connection between Camp Evans and Mauchly / ENIAC in the early 1940s).

      I'm going to sleep now, but it will be tough ... I'm too darn excited.
    • Dan Roganti
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 28 4:34 AM

        This is undoubtedly an interesting piece of historical adventure you uncovered. Upon viewing this, I went and read some of documents in the search results regarding Fieldata at Army Signal Corps and it quite absorbing to see how much of the technology researched there is related to the development work that followed by the various companies later on.

        =Dan

        Evan wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Evan
        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 28 4:51 AM
          Exactly. But I didn't "uncover" anything. It was right there for whoever wanted to read it! We didn't know what we didn't know.

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 11, 2008
            >>> suspected connection between Camp Evans and Mauchly / ENIAC in the early
            1940s

            An update on that research...

            I had some time this weekend to contact the historian's office at Fort
            Monmouth, and also the archives department of the U. of Penn. ... in both
            cases they seemed eager to help ... not that I had any doubts they would, as
            the Penn folks previously helped me with my own computer history research,
            and the Fort Monmouth historian has been very good to InfoAge itself.

            One of the Penn archivists wrote to me:

            >>> was able to find a reference to research performed at the Signal Corps
            Radar Laboratory in the microfilmed exhibits for the ENIAC trial collection.
            I have attached scans of the two pages.

            She's referring to (I'm 99% sure) the patent lawsuit in which Honeywell sued
            Sperry regarding the ENIAC patent. (The original Eckert-Mauchly Computer
            Company was acquired by Remington Rand, which was acquired by Sperry.) That
            was the famous case in which Honeywell put Atanasoff on the stand, and he
            claimed that Mauchly stole key ideas from him, pre-ENIAC. Mauchly's defense
            on behalf of Sperry was that he already had the ideas, and that whatever he
            saw from Atanasoff had no real impact on the development of ENIAC.

            Anyway, the attachments she sent me are two (of two) pages from a single
            document. It's labeled "Defendant's Trial Exhibit #449". (Therefore they
            were exhibit(s) used by Sperry/Mauchly in their defense.)

            The first page is dated April 4, 1942; it's a memo from "T.R. MacDougall,
            Signal Corps Radar Laboratory, Camp Evans, Belmar, New Jersey" -- it's typed
            on Camp Evans letterhead -- and MacDougall is cited as "Captain, Signal
            Corps Contracting Officer". It's addressed to "All contractors". It
            states:

            >>> Patent applications may not be filed on developments under classified
            government contracts unless the following conditions are fulfilled...<<<

            The $60,000 question is: how would this document have been relevant to
            Sperry/Mauchly's defense against claims from Honeywell/Atanasoff regarding
            prior art?

            I don't know the answer. That's going to require a lot more research, and
            I'm told that these documents are all located in (accessible to the public)
            federal archives in and around D.C. ... I knew Fred has been to those
            archives for other research, so he should be able to tell me how to go about
            that. I'm ready to go!

            My initial theory is that Sperry/Mauchly argued, "Of course we didn't file
            sooner for a patent; we weren't allowed to because of Army rules," OR maybe
            they argued, "Any other patents from Honeywell/Atanasoff are invalid because
            they BROKE those rules" -- like I said this will take some more research.

            Regardless, what we REALLY need to figure out is WHY there were any aspects
            of Camp Evans related to ENIAC patents in the first place. After all, it's
            common knowledge that Mauchly/Eckert wrote their proposal and obtained their
            funding via the Army's Ballistics Research Laboratory ... was there some
            secret funding and/or involvement from the Signal Corps research lab,
            specifically from Camp Evans!? (It is very possibly. We already know, for
            a fact, that Camp Evans helped fund Bell Labs' transistor research -- Camp
            Evans' investments were far and wide. Circumstantially, I wonder, "There
            MUST have been AT LEAST a financial connection, if not a technical
            connection, or why else would Mauchly/Eckert have had to obey Camp Evans'
            patent rules?)

            That is something to ponder!!

            The third attachment sent to me by the Penn folks is another federal
            archives citation, but without showing the citation's content. Part of the
            citation mentions:

            >>> Records of the Evans Signal Laboratory, including technical memorandums
            and reports, 1942-46; research and development project records, 1942-51; and
            decimal files, 1940-45.

            I have no clue what they mean by "decimal files" but the first two-third of
            that citation look VERY interesting. I'm going to ask Fred if these are
            records that he has already viewed. I assume that if he already saw these,
            then certainly he'd have recognized if there were ENIAC references,
            especially since he works in the IT industry. On the other hand -- duh! --
            it wouldn't have been called ENIAC in those records; it was only called
            "Project PX" in the early 1940s by military people. I feel just like
            Indiana Jones in "The Last Crusade" when he realized that Jehovah isn't
            spelled with a "J" in Latin. :)

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 12, 2008
              Last email for tonight (or rather, this morning!)...

              I think it was last summmer that Fred gave me a copy of a 1947 contract
              between Ft. Monmouth / Signal Corps, and the Penn/Moore School, re: use of
              Penn's differential analyzer for Army purposes. (Someone else can look up
              the old email -- I remember putting a copy of the contract into our Yahoo
              page -- but I don't feel like looking it up right now.)

              I recall being not 100% sure that it was a Camp Evans contract specifically,
              vs. a Ft. Monmouth contract generally. The only possible clue is the
              reference to "EL" under "directive number".

              A few minutes ago, I stumbled on proof -- I found a page on the Penn
              archives web site -- in citing some reference box, it says, >>> Evans Signal
              Lab - Contract W-36-039-SC-34224

              And on the contract Fred gave us a while ago, it says, "Contract W 36-039
              sc-34224". :)

              See here: http://www.archives.upenn.edu/faids/upd/upd8_4invtry.pdf

              Of course this is the LEAST important of the three or four various Moore
              School / Camp Evans links that I'm researching, but it's still good to know.
              We can extract other clues from it -- for example if I find other documents
              that list "EL" in the "directive" box, then I'll know that is in fact a code
              for "Evans Lab", etc.

              And now, to snooze.

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 13, 2008
                You may consider doing an oral history effort.
                Whereas I don't know what he's doing now, I worked for a man in
                the early eighties at Tracor in Southern Maryland who was a Navy
                yeoman worked on the ENIAC project for Grace Hooper. His name
                was Bouchillion and he's probably still down in Calvert or
                St. Mary's Cty if he did not move back to Louisiana.
                bs

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 13, 2008
                  Thanks, I might check that out.