Re: [midatlanticretro] oscilloscope wanted

  • billdeg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 28 10:48 PM
      Thanks for all of your replies. I will let you know how it turns out.
      Bill
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 28 11:32 PM
        Evan, have you been to the MIT flea market in recent
        times? It's been probably 7 or 8 years for me, and I
        was wondering if much vintage stuph shows up there.

        Yahoo! Sports
        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
      • Kelly Leavitt
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 29 3:54 AM

          It is July 10th at the Sussex County fairgrounds in Augusta.

          You probably would find one there. It is a pretty big Hamfest.

          I'll be working the gate for tailgaters :-). Let me know if anyone needs
          directions.

          73 de Kelly
          KB2SYD
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 29 10:00 AM
            I used to go regularly, up to about a year ago, when I moved back to New Jersey.  There are typically a handful of people selling vintage things.  Mostly that is just PC junk, but once in a while, you find something really interesting.

            Of course, if people have never been to the swapmeet at all, then going for the first time is quite an experience.  This is MIT, remember, and sometimes the usual rules do not apply.   :)

            If enough people are interested, we could postpone the DC-area field trip plans, and focus on the New England instead -- the swapmeet, MIT museum, Rhode Island Computer Museum, and I think there is a Mark 1 at Harvard.  There is also a generic tour called "Innovation Odyssey" that covers computers and several other things around Boston/Cambridge.

            href="http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer">http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer -- you're sure
            > to find a decent used
            > oscilloscope there!
            >
            > Or check out my favorite shop, Greenbrook
            > Electronics, on Rt.
            22 East in
            > Dunnellen (Greenbrook?), NJ.  They aren't cheap
            but
            > the selection is good
            > and the staff is very
            knowledgeable.

            ________________________________

            > From:
            midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

            want to learn how to align disk drives with an
            > oscilloscope.
            >
            > Anyone looking to sell an oscilloscope (that works)
            > with
            probes?

            > There are a lot for sale on ebay, not sure what
            > need exactly, being
            > only a pseudo-engineer.  I don't
            want to over spend
            > and I don't need
            > anything new because I'll
            only be using the scope on
            > hardware older
            > than 20 years.
            Any suggestions? Thanks for you
            > time.
            >
            > Bill
            Degnan

            > on the web.

            *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 20, 2005
              Bill and all, I posted a message on electronics_101
              about an older HP 100 mhz scope I've been offered -
              wanted to get some feedback. Someone submitted that
              Tektronix 7000 series scopes are plentiful on Ebay
              say, and "reasonable", so you can always find parts or
              whatever. Keep in mind though that scopes need to be
              calibrated, and a roomful of test equipment is needed
              for that task. There's always people that can perform
              this service, believe me some people actually have
              loads of this stuph and are able to work from their
              spare bedroom or whatever. Not sure what something
              like that costs, haven't even touched a scope in
              years, but I was told that you can get them already
              calibrated on Ebay or wherever. It helps to have a
              certificate from a reputable lab though.
              There used to be hardware/software to turn puters
              into oscilloscopes/logic analyzers. There was even a
              program called SoftLa some years ago that didn't even
              employ any hardware I don't think that turned a 486 or
              whatever into a multi channel logic analyzer. And it
              was cheap.
              The reality is, there are always back doors. I
              remember reading on some site that to align a floppy
              drive, you need to move the head forward (or
              backward?). I was staring at a pc drive the other day
              and it seemed logical. The trick I guess is to do it
              reliably/repeatably, perhaps by utilizing a piece of
              precision screw and some kind of nut, like the way the
              lead screw on a lathe operates. I'm just rambling now,
              but there might be some sanity to such caterwauls.
              The truth is though, if a cheap scope found it's way
              into the arsenal of every vintage megalomaniac, it
              wouldnn't hurt at all. I'm sure an old 20mhz Tek could
              be found for next to nothing.
              I'll report any new findings as they're found :)

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 20, 2005
                Chris,

                Most any ham radio club will have one or more members who can calibrate a
                scope. The club that co-sponsors TCF might be a good place to start.

                Jim