InfoAge Donations

  • Bill Degnan
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 27, 2008
      FYI

      Donations to the MARCH collection at InfoAge should be limited to items in general older than 1985 with some newer items accepted on a case by case basis.  InfoAge is not the place to dump unwanted Pentiums, etc.

      One of the things I'd like to do this weekend is get rid of items that we don't need or cannot use.  I am not sure if we're going to sell them, give them away, or recycle them.  One idea is to take all of the less-desirable items and put them in a to-be-discarded pile off to the side and set a disposal date for some time in the near future.  This will give people the chance to pick through it first.

      Some items are old/historical but also so far trashed that they are unrestorable.  We will need to decide if they have value if they can be cleaned up and used as static display items.  Etc.  This is part of what we're going to be working out this weekend.

      Of the list of 386/486 items I offered to bring and give away (earlier post "stuff available"), *none* will be left at InfoAge except perhaps the IBM PS/2's for the OS/2 exhibit.  I am only planning to bring items that people will take with them because I don't want them and they're taking up space at my house.

      As a side tangent, what is the status of the OS/2 exhibit?  What is the plan?

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 27, 2008
        >>> One idea is to take all of the less-desirable items and put them in a
        to-be-discarded pile off to the side

        Maybe. Space is always an issue, and there are some things we can't just
        get rid of without checking with Fred (i.e. things that might have come to
        us via InfoAge that we don't own).

        >>> status of the OS/2 exhibit?

        We can (someday) have an exhibit devoted to operating systems. But for
        this weekend, we should concentrate ONLY on items for the first four
        exhibits (Evan sounding like a broken record: the first four exhibits are:
        computing of the military/Camp Evans; computing of the local region --
        anything between but not including Boston and DC; 70s/80s microcomputers;
        and "best of the rest of our collection".)

        I'll share more ideas tonight, right now I have to get back to my day job.
      • Kelly Leavitt
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 27, 2008
          The "Donations" that I'm bringing this weekend include:
          2 complete Osborn executives, with a metric butload of hardware, documentation and software.
          a complete VT103* with keyboard, and service manuals,
          several boxes of spare PDP 11 CPU/Memory/I/O cards.
          a DEC disk pack of some variety or another
          a Digital training course in servicing or selling PDP computers (VHS with workbooks)
          a spare DEC 5.25" floppy drive
          a timex sinclair 1000
          a NEC PC-8021

          Just about everything here meets the suggested criteria of Bill (which I agree with).

          I'm also brining some commodore stuff. A disk drive has been spoken for, but there will be a printer, a couple of plus 4s, and a couple of 64s. Bill has first pick if he wants them for his class, but the rest of these are up for grabs. The commie stuff I intend to take home and dispose of privately if there is no other need for it. I'm sure InfoAge has enough of these units. I can also bring 486 computers, but only if someone asks for one. I do not intend to leave those at InfoAge.

          Kelly

          *(yes 103, it's a 101 with a PDP11 of some sort and dual tape drives in it)

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 27, 2008
            Evan Koblentz wrote:
            > to-be-discarded pile off to the side
            >
            > Maybe. Space is always an issue, and there are some things we can't just
            > get rid of without checking with Fred (i.e. things that might have come to
            > us via InfoAge that we don't own).

            > We can (someday) have an exhibit devoted to operating systems. But for
            > this weekend, we should concentrate ONLY on items for the first four
            > exhibits (Evan sounding like a broken record: the first four exhibits are:
            > computing of the military/Camp Evans; computing of the local region --
            > anything between but not including Boston and DC; 70s/80s microcomputers;
            > and "best of the rest of our collection".)
            >
            > I'll share more ideas tonight, right now I have to get back to my day job.

            I have a few things to add to the OS/2 collection. I don't mind the stuff
            being stored for now, but I hope it will be reasonably secure. I can't
            come Saturday but I will try to make it on Sunday. I need to complete a
            listing of all the OS/2 items that are currently at InfoAge. As to the
            55SXs, though they would be useful in the future, right now I'd be happier
            to see the IBM monitors to go with some of the PS/2 equipment we already have.

            Mark

            --

            From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel

            http://www.warpstock.eu

            http://www.os2voice.org

            Investigation, 1938
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 27, 2008
              >>> I don't mind the stuff being stored for now, but I hope it will be
              reasonably secure.

              All of our rooms lock except one, and that one will soon be fixed. Also,
              the hallway where the rooms are located also locks at both ends.