RE: [midatlanticretro] oscilloscope wanted

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 28, 2005
      If you feel like driving, visit the Flea@MIT sometime:
      http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer -- you're sure to find a decent used
      oscilloscope there!

      Or check out my favorite shop, Greenbrook Electronics, on Rt. 22 East in
      Dunnellen (Greenbrook?), NJ. They aren't cheap but the selection is good
      and the staff is very knowledgeable.

      ________________________________

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 28, 2005
        Thanks for all of your replies. I will let you know how it turns out.
        Bill
      • Chris M
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 28, 2005
          Evan, have you been to the MIT flea market in recent
          times? It's been probably 7 or 8 years for me, and I
          was wondering if much vintage stuph shows up there.

          Yahoo! Sports
          http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
        • Kelly Leavitt
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 29, 2005

            It is July 10th at the Sussex County fairgrounds in Augusta.

            You probably would find one there. It is a pretty big Hamfest.

            I'll be working the gate for tailgaters :-). Let me know if anyone needs
            directions.

            73 de Kelly
            KB2SYD
          • Evan
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 29, 2005
              I used to go regularly, up to about a year ago, when I moved back to New Jersey.  There are typically a handful of people selling vintage things.  Mostly that is just PC junk, but once in a while, you find something really interesting.

              Of course, if people have never been to the swapmeet at all, then going for the first time is quite an experience.  This is MIT, remember, and sometimes the usual rules do not apply.   :)

              If enough people are interested, we could postpone the DC-area field trip plans, and focus on the New England instead -- the swapmeet, MIT museum, Rhode Island Computer Museum, and I think there is a Mark 1 at Harvard.  There is also a generic tour called "Innovation Odyssey" that covers computers and several other things around Boston/Cambridge.

              href="http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer">http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer -- you're sure
              > to find a decent used
              > oscilloscope there!
              >
              > Or check out my favorite shop, Greenbrook
              > Electronics, on Rt.
              22 East in
              > Dunnellen (Greenbrook?), NJ.  They aren't cheap
              but
              > the selection is good
              > and the staff is very
              knowledgeable.

              ________________________________

              > From:
              midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

              want to learn how to align disk drives with an
              > oscilloscope.
              >
              > Anyone looking to sell an oscilloscope (that works)
              > with
              probes?

              > There are a lot for sale on ebay, not sure what
              > need exactly, being
              > only a pseudo-engineer.  I don't
              want to over spend
              > and I don't need
              > anything new because I'll
              only be using the scope on
              > hardware older
              > than 20 years.
              Any suggestions? Thanks for you
              > time.
              >
              > Bill
              Degnan

              > on the web.

              *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 20, 2005
                Bill and all, I posted a message on electronics_101
                about an older HP 100 mhz scope I've been offered -
                wanted to get some feedback. Someone submitted that
                Tektronix 7000 series scopes are plentiful on Ebay
                say, and "reasonable", so you can always find parts or
                whatever. Keep in mind though that scopes need to be
                calibrated, and a roomful of test equipment is needed
                for that task. There's always people that can perform
                this service, believe me some people actually have
                loads of this stuph and are able to work from their
                spare bedroom or whatever. Not sure what something
                like that costs, haven't even touched a scope in
                years, but I was told that you can get them already
                calibrated on Ebay or wherever. It helps to have a
                certificate from a reputable lab though.
                There used to be hardware/software to turn puters
                into oscilloscopes/logic analyzers. There was even a
                program called SoftLa some years ago that didn't even
                employ any hardware I don't think that turned a 486 or
                whatever into a multi channel logic analyzer. And it
                was cheap.
                The reality is, there are always back doors. I
                remember reading on some site that to align a floppy
                drive, you need to move the head forward (or
                backward?). I was staring at a pc drive the other day
                and it seemed logical. The trick I guess is to do it
                reliably/repeatably, perhaps by utilizing a piece of
                precision screw and some kind of nut, like the way the
                lead screw on a lathe operates. I'm just rambling now,
                but there might be some sanity to such caterwauls.
                The truth is though, if a cheap scope found it's way
                into the arsenal of every vintage megalomaniac, it
                wouldnn't hurt at all. I'm sure an old 20mhz Tek could
                be found for next to nothing.
                I'll report any new findings as they're found :)

                http://mail.yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 20, 2005
                  Chris,

                  Most any ham radio club will have one or more members who can calibrate a
                  scope. The club that co-sponsors TCF might be a good place to start.

                  Jim