Re: oscilloscope wanted

  • cowfeemee
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 28, 2005
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "billdeg" <billdeg@a...> wrote:
      > I am trying to save some old disk drives, including a Commodore SFD-
      > 1001 drive. I believe that it's worth spending some $$, I have enough
      > dead drives to make it worth while. I have taken cleaning and
      > diagnostic programs to the limit, it's time to try something else. I
      > want to learn how to align disk drives with an oscilloscope.
      >
      > Anyone looking to sell an oscilloscope (that works) with probes?
      >
      > There are a lot for sale on ebay, not sure what I need exactly, being
      > only a pseudo-engineer. I don't want to over spend and I don't need
      > anything new because I'll only be using the scope on hardware older
      > than 20 years. Any suggestions? Thanks for you time.
      >
      > Bill Degnan

      Hi there. You might want to try the Hamfest that comes in August to the
      Sussex county fairgrounds. I'm told that the one up there is a large
      one, probably the biggest in this area all year. Hamfests used to be
      very good sources of older equipment for very reasonable prices,
      particularly of HP and Tektronix scopes. They're not what they used to
      be, however, at least small local ones. I want some stuff these meets
      used to be good for, so I'll be going up there this year. Happy
      hunting. Oh yes, A good all round scope would be a 100MHz unit, though
      you should probably look into what the maximum frequency is you'll be
      looking at. Good Luck.
    • chrism3667
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 28, 2005
        Bill...there's also a yahoo group that's devoted to electronics and is
        very active. You're bound to get a dozen replies at least:
        and there's always cctech of course.
      • Evan
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 28, 2005
          If you feel like driving, visit the Flea@MIT sometime:
          http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer -- you're sure to find a decent used
          oscilloscope there!

          Or check out my favorite shop, Greenbrook Electronics, on Rt. 22 East in
          Dunnellen (Greenbrook?), NJ. They aren't cheap but the selection is good
          and the staff is very knowledgeable.

          ________________________________

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          ________________________________
        • billdeg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 28, 2005
            Thanks for all of your replies. I will let you know how it turns out.
            Bill
          • Chris M
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 28, 2005
              Evan, have you been to the MIT flea market in recent
              times? It's been probably 7 or 8 years for me, and I
              was wondering if much vintage stuph shows up there.

              Yahoo! Sports
              http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
            • Kelly Leavitt
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 29, 2005

                It is July 10th at the Sussex County fairgrounds in Augusta.

                You probably would find one there. It is a pretty big Hamfest.

                I'll be working the gate for tailgaters :-). Let me know if anyone needs
                directions.

                73 de Kelly
                KB2SYD
              • Evan
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 29, 2005
                  I used to go regularly, up to about a year ago, when I moved back to New Jersey.  There are typically a handful of people selling vintage things.  Mostly that is just PC junk, but once in a while, you find something really interesting.

                  Of course, if people have never been to the swapmeet at all, then going for the first time is quite an experience.  This is MIT, remember, and sometimes the usual rules do not apply.   :)

                  If enough people are interested, we could postpone the DC-area field trip plans, and focus on the New England instead -- the swapmeet, MIT museum, Rhode Island Computer Museum, and I think there is a Mark 1 at Harvard.  There is also a generic tour called "Innovation Odyssey" that covers computers and several other things around Boston/Cambridge.

                  href="http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer">http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer -- you're sure
                  > to find a decent used
                  > oscilloscope there!
                  >
                  > Or check out my favorite shop, Greenbrook
                  > Electronics, on Rt.
                  22 East in
                  > Dunnellen (Greenbrook?), NJ.  They aren't cheap
                  but
                  > the selection is good
                  > and the staff is very
                  knowledgeable.

                  ________________________________

                  > From:
                  midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                  want to learn how to align disk drives with an
                  > oscilloscope.
                  >
                  > Anyone looking to sell an oscilloscope (that works)
                  > with
                  probes?

                  > There are a lot for sale on ebay, not sure what
                  > need exactly, being
                  > only a pseudo-engineer.  I don't
                  want to over spend
                  > and I don't need
                  > anything new because I'll
                  only be using the scope on
                  > hardware older
                  > than 20 years.
                  Any suggestions? Thanks for you
                  > time.
                  >
                  > Bill
                  Degnan

                  > on the web.

                  *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 20, 2005
                    Bill and all, I posted a message on electronics_101
                    about an older HP 100 mhz scope I've been offered -
                    wanted to get some feedback. Someone submitted that
                    Tektronix 7000 series scopes are plentiful on Ebay
                    say, and "reasonable", so you can always find parts or
                    whatever. Keep in mind though that scopes need to be
                    calibrated, and a roomful of test equipment is needed
                    for that task. There's always people that can perform
                    this service, believe me some people actually have
                    loads of this stuph and are able to work from their
                    spare bedroom or whatever. Not sure what something
                    like that costs, haven't even touched a scope in
                    years, but I was told that you can get them already
                    calibrated on Ebay or wherever. It helps to have a
                    certificate from a reputable lab though.
                    There used to be hardware/software to turn puters
                    into oscilloscopes/logic analyzers. There was even a
                    program called SoftLa some years ago that didn't even
                    employ any hardware I don't think that turned a 486 or
                    whatever into a multi channel logic analyzer. And it
                    was cheap.
                    The reality is, there are always back doors. I
                    remember reading on some site that to align a floppy
                    drive, you need to move the head forward (or
                    backward?). I was staring at a pc drive the other day
                    and it seemed logical. The trick I guess is to do it
                    reliably/repeatably, perhaps by utilizing a piece of
                    precision screw and some kind of nut, like the way the
                    lead screw on a lathe operates. I'm just rambling now,
                    but there might be some sanity to such caterwauls.
                    The truth is though, if a cheap scope found it's way
                    into the arsenal of every vintage megalomaniac, it
                    wouldnn't hurt at all. I'm sure an old 20mhz Tek could
                    be found for next to nothing.
                    I'll report any new findings as they're found :)

                    http://mail.yahoo.com
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 20, 2005
                      Chris,

                      Most any ham radio club will have one or more members who can calibrate a
                      scope. The club that co-sponsors TCF might be a good place to start.

                      Jim