oscilloscope wanted

  • billdeg
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27 7:34 PM
      I am trying to save some old disk drives, including a Commodore SFD-
      1001 drive. I believe that it's worth spending some $$, I have enough
      dead drives to make it worth while. I have taken cleaning and
      diagnostic programs to the limit, it's time to try something else. I
      want to learn how to align disk drives with an oscilloscope.

      Anyone looking to sell an oscilloscope (that works) with probes?

      There are a lot for sale on ebay, not sure what I need exactly, being
      only a pseudo-engineer. I don't want to over spend and I don't need
      anything new because I'll only be using the scope on hardware older
      than 20 years. Any suggestions? Thanks for you time.

      Bill Degnan
    • Chris M
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 27 9:41 PM
        I am not knowledgeable of drive alignment, but
        generally I think you'll want to take whatever
        frequencies you'll be working with and double them.
        This will be the bandwidth of the scope you'll need. I
        can't possibly see how something in the 10-20mhz range
        won't suffice though. I was supposed to buy an older
        HP unit off of a guy in Staten Island, 100mhz for
        $100, and he had, at TCF, a 20mhz unit for $40. Not a
        terribly reputable name, but probably ok. I could call
        him up if you want, or give you his #. There's also
        this place in Belmar (NJ) that deals in used
        equipment, the name escapes me, but I could do some
        research. There's also that Ham shop right near you
        Bill if you want to search for leads that way.

        Yahoo! Sports
        http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com
      • cowfeemee
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 28 9:09 PM
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "billdeg" <billdeg@a...> wrote:
          > I am trying to save some old disk drives, including a Commodore SFD-
          > 1001 drive. I believe that it's worth spending some $$, I have enough
          > dead drives to make it worth while. I have taken cleaning and
          > diagnostic programs to the limit, it's time to try something else. I
          > want to learn how to align disk drives with an oscilloscope.
          >
          > Anyone looking to sell an oscilloscope (that works) with probes?
          >
          > There are a lot for sale on ebay, not sure what I need exactly, being
          > only a pseudo-engineer. I don't want to over spend and I don't need
          > anything new because I'll only be using the scope on hardware older
          > than 20 years. Any suggestions? Thanks for you time.
          >
          > Bill Degnan

          Hi there. You might want to try the Hamfest that comes in August to the
          Sussex county fairgrounds. I'm told that the one up there is a large
          one, probably the biggest in this area all year. Hamfests used to be
          very good sources of older equipment for very reasonable prices,
          particularly of HP and Tektronix scopes. They're not what they used to
          be, however, at least small local ones. I want some stuff these meets
          used to be good for, so I'll be going up there this year. Happy
          hunting. Oh yes, A good all round scope would be a 100MHz unit, though
          you should probably look into what the maximum frequency is you'll be
          looking at. Good Luck.
        • cowfeemee
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 28 9:10 PM
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "billdeg" <billdeg@a...> wrote:
            > I am trying to save some old disk drives, including a Commodore SFD-
            > 1001 drive. I believe that it's worth spending some $$, I have enough
            > dead drives to make it worth while. I have taken cleaning and
            > diagnostic programs to the limit, it's time to try something else. I
            > want to learn how to align disk drives with an oscilloscope.
            >
            > Anyone looking to sell an oscilloscope (that works) with probes?
            >
            > There are a lot for sale on ebay, not sure what I need exactly, being
            > only a pseudo-engineer. I don't want to over spend and I don't need
            > anything new because I'll only be using the scope on hardware older
            > than 20 years. Any suggestions? Thanks for you time.
            >
            > Bill Degnan

            Hi there. You might want to try the Hamfest that comes in August to the
            Sussex county fairgrounds. I'm told that the one up there is a large
            one, probably the biggest in this area all year. Hamfests used to be
            very good sources of older equipment for very reasonable prices,
            particularly of HP and Tektronix scopes. They're not what they used to
            be, however, at least small local ones. I want some stuff these meets
            used to be good for, so I'll be going up there this year. Happy
            hunting. Oh yes, A good all round scope would be a 100MHz unit, though
            you should probably look into what the maximum frequency is you'll be
            looking at. Good Luck.
          • chrism3667
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 28 9:50 PM
              Bill...there's also a yahoo group that's devoted to electronics and is
              very active. You're bound to get a dozen replies at least:
              and there's always cctech of course.
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 28 9:59 PM
                If you feel like driving, visit the Flea@MIT sometime:
                http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer -- you're sure to find a decent used
                oscilloscope there!

                Or check out my favorite shop, Greenbrook Electronics, on Rt. 22 East in
                Dunnellen (Greenbrook?), NJ. They aren't cheap but the selection is good
                and the staff is very knowledgeable.

                ________________________________

                <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

                ________________________________
              • billdeg@aol.com
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 28 10:48 PM
                  Thanks for all of your replies. I will let you know how it turns out.
                  Bill
                • Chris M
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 28 11:32 PM
                    Evan, have you been to the MIT flea market in recent
                    times? It's been probably 7 or 8 years for me, and I
                    was wondering if much vintage stuph shows up there.

                  • Kelly Leavitt
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 29 3:54 AM

                      It is July 10th at the Sussex County fairgrounds in Augusta.

                      You probably would find one there. It is a pretty big Hamfest.

                      I'll be working the gate for tailgaters :-). Let me know if anyone needs
                      directions.

                      73 de Kelly
                      KB2SYD
                    • Evan
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 29 10:00 AM
                        I used to go regularly, up to about a year ago, when I moved back to New Jersey.  There are typically a handful of people selling vintage things.  Mostly that is just PC junk, but once in a while, you find something really interesting.

                        Of course, if people have never been to the swapmeet at all, then going for the first time is quite an experience.  This is MIT, remember, and sometimes the usual rules do not apply.   :)

                        If enough people are interested, we could postpone the DC-area field trip plans, and focus on the New England instead -- the swapmeet, MIT museum, Rhode Island Computer Museum, and I think there is a Mark 1 at Harvard.  There is also a generic tour called "Innovation Odyssey" that covers computers and several other things around Boston/Cambridge.

                        href="http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer">http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/flyer -- you're sure
                        > to find a decent used
                        > oscilloscope there!
                        >
                        > Or check out my favorite shop, Greenbrook
                        > Electronics, on Rt.
                        22 East in
                        > Dunnellen (Greenbrook?), NJ.  They aren't cheap
                        but
                        > the selection is good
                        > and the staff is very
                        knowledgeable.

                        ________________________________

                        > From:
                        midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                        want to learn how to align disk drives with an
                        > oscilloscope.
                        >
                        > Anyone looking to sell an oscilloscope (that works)
                        > with
                        probes?

                        > There are a lot for sale on ebay, not sure what
                        > need exactly, being
                        > only a pseudo-engineer.  I don't
                        want to over spend
                        > and I don't need
                        > anything new because I'll
                        only be using the scope on
                        > hardware older
                        > than 20 years.
                        Any suggestions? Thanks for you
                        > time.
                        >
                        > Bill
                        Degnan

                        > on the web.

                        *      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 20, 2005
                          Bill and all, I posted a message on electronics_101
                          about an older HP 100 mhz scope I've been offered -
                          wanted to get some feedback. Someone submitted that
                          Tektronix 7000 series scopes are plentiful on Ebay
                          say, and "reasonable", so you can always find parts or
                          whatever. Keep in mind though that scopes need to be
                          calibrated, and a roomful of test equipment is needed
                          for that task. There's always people that can perform
                          this service, believe me some people actually have
                          loads of this stuph and are able to work from their
                          spare bedroom or whatever. Not sure what something
                          like that costs, haven't even touched a scope in
                          years, but I was told that you can get them already
                          calibrated on Ebay or wherever. It helps to have a
                          certificate from a reputable lab though.
                          There used to be hardware/software to turn puters
                          into oscilloscopes/logic analyzers. There was even a
                          program called SoftLa some years ago that didn't even
                          employ any hardware I don't think that turned a 486 or
                          whatever into a multi channel logic analyzer. And it
                          was cheap.
                          The reality is, there are always back doors. I
                          remember reading on some site that to align a floppy
                          drive, you need to move the head forward (or
                          backward?). I was staring at a pc drive the other day
                          and it seemed logical. The trick I guess is to do it
                          reliably/repeatably, perhaps by utilizing a piece of
                          precision screw and some kind of nut, like the way the
                          lead screw on a lathe operates. I'm just rambling now,
                          but there might be some sanity to such caterwauls.
                          The truth is though, if a cheap scope found it's way
                          into the arsenal of every vintage megalomaniac, it
                          wouldnn't hurt at all. I'm sure an old 20mhz Tek could
                          be found for next to nothing.
                          I'll report any new findings as they're found :)

                          http://mail.yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 20, 2005
                            Chris,

                            Most any ham radio club will have one or more members who can calibrate a
                            scope. The club that co-sponsors TCF might be a good place to start.

                            Jim