March 29/30

    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 19, 2008
      Message
      Fred says all if set for having a few MARCHins stay in the cottage on Sat. night, March 29 ... there is NOT any charge for this ... several beds are available but we're encouraged to bring sleeping bags (or whatever) because there may not be any sheets.

      There is a kitchen so anyone can bring food.

      Some of the OMARC (Ocean-Monmouth Amaetuer Radio Club) people may be having their own event that weekend, so be friendly to them.

      Initial plan for the weekend is:
      - Prepare first two of our exhibit rooms -- clear out, vacuum, remove old crappy blinds (new blinds will be installed in the future when we have some more cash on hand ... even I can install horizontal blinds, honest!  Did it in my own apartment and they came out nice), clean window glass, replace a few of the modular ceiling tiles (some have water damage but after that happened InfoAge hired professionals to install a NEW ROOF on our building!), maybe some additional cleaning-up tasks
      - Begin setting up some of the exhibit areas by moving around our tables / wall dividers
      - Pick out systems from our collection that will go into the first few exhibits and that are restorable; assign them to various club members
      - Possibly take our two hallway doors off their hinges, move the doors to someplace out of the way, and strip them to bare metal using heat gun (to make them bubble) and some special chemicals (Fred has the details on how it's done) ... then repaint them from scratch
      - Put down cheap carpet in our hallway?  (Depends on other InfoAge progress)
      - Possibly help Steve G. with replacing our lobby sheetrock (area between our hallway and radio museum back door)
      - HAVE FUN ... HAVE FUN ... HAVE FUN ... HAVE FUN ... HAVE FUN ... HAVE FUN
      - Possibly help with InfoAge tasks if time/resources allow
      - We'll keep our preview room CLOSED on the 30th to devote maximum time to our future exhibit rooms and hallway area

      Also: in addition to the hallway timeline, we should decorate other parts of the hallway (it's big) with vintage computer posters, t-shirts, banners, etc. .... so please bring whatever you have that you're willing to donate to MARCH.  We really want our museum visitors to enter this hallway (which is known as building "9032-C" in InfoAge/military-speak) and get a sense that they're walking into a time machine (not the Delorean kind) ... rather than having to enter each of our exhibit rooms individually to understand what's going on ... we want people to be clear that when they're in this hallway, they're in the vintage computing wing.

      Anyone have other suggestions of what to accomplish that weekend?  Do share.

      - Evan
      Message 2 of 19 , Mar 19, 2008
        Message
        Forgot one bullet point -- another thing we can do that weekend is remove and box up all of the computer books from the InfoAge library, and then move those boxes into MARCH storage, for future classification / organization.  That will free a large amount of space for the InfoAge RADAR library.  It's part of a deal worked out beween me, Fred, and the InfoAge librarian (Steve R., not to be confused with friend-of-MARCH, Steve G.)

        Message 3 of 19 , Mar 20, 2008

          I'll get my working clothes packed, just got my March hat in the mail, so I'm ready :)
          I'm still on schedule to make it there.
          After checking google maps, I should actually get there by noon on Sat.

          =Dan

          Evan Koblentz wrote:
[...]

          No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG. Version: 7.5.519 / Virus Database: 269.21.7/1335 - Release Date: 3/19/2008 9:54 AM
        • Joe Giliberti

            Message 5 of 19 , Mar 20, 2008
              Evan and all,

              It might be wise to find out how many beds are available versus the number of people expecting to sleep in them especially with another group there that weekend.

              Right now it looks like I might be able to get to TCF on Sunday. If that happens I'll bring a load to InfoAge and spend a couple days there after TCF.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 19 , Mar 20, 2008
                There are several beds, some bunk-style. I don't know the exact number.

                Message 7 of 19 , Mar 20, 2008
                  "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...> wrote:

                  > Forgot one bullet point -- another thing we can do that weekend is
                  remove
                  > and box up all of the computer books from the InfoAge library, and
                  then move
                  > those boxes into MARCH storage, for future classification /
                  organization.
                  > That will free a large amount of space for the InfoAge RADAR
                  library. It's
                  > part of a deal worked out beween me, Fred, and the InfoAge librarian
                  (Steve
                  > R., not to be confused with friend-of-MARCH, Steve G.)

                  I cannot attend the MARCH event on Mar 29/30 due to a hamfest in
                  Maryland which is this region's largest hamfest. "Hamfests" are flea
                  markets by amateur radio clubs. These days they are much smaller and
                  have less computer stuff but they are still a venue to dump old
                  technology for a few dollars. The items I have to take there will not
                  be of interest to MARCH or its members.

                  Evan mentions books as above. Books are important to me. I deal in
                  books (manuals), I have used them for deades before the Web. Also,
                  Evan mentioned another time that hundreds of books were at stake. So I
                  *very strongly* urge the books to be *cataloged while boxing*, to save
                  time later. My experience with books, over decades, is that books not
                  cataloged become forgotten and eventually lost.

                  The "opportunity" is to avoid handling these books twice, and to use
                  the several people at hand to save time. Two people can pack AND list
                  books much faster than one, you need four hands to be efficient. And
                  "listing" is not that complicated: list title and author, period.
                  Number the boxes, put the number on a list. "lists" can be
                  hand-written, or done on a PDA or laptop, or you can photograph a
                  title page. Organizing this saves a lot of time.

                  Title, author, box number to find the book. Any other information can
                  be found on a Web search. A list of books can be "classified",
                  database-ed, Web-paged, searched - that can be done later. Unboxing
                  books later just to list them is a pain in the a--.

                  Evan, I decided not to post a lecture on how to do this. But I have
                  thought it out. If you ask me, I'll send you details. I do this for a
                  living, so I have a clue. But getting it done is more important than
                  how, "how" just makes it easier to do.

                  Herb Johnson
                  retrotechnology.com
                • Bryan Pope
                  Message 8 of 19 , Mar 20, 2008
                    Herb Johnson wrote:

                    > Title, author, box number to find the book. Any other information can
                    > be found on a Web search. A list of books can be "classified",
                    > database-ed, Web-paged, searched - that can be done later. Unboxing
                    > books later just to list them is a pain in the a--.

                    Herb has mentioned many great points about the value of books.. I would
                    only add that the ISBN number also be recorded. There is a different
                    ISBN for each edition of a book and also for the hard- and soft cover
                    versions.

                    Cheers,

                    Bryan
                    Message 9 of 19 , Mar 20, 2008
                      Herb is correct (as usual, I may add!). By coincidence, one of our
                      members stepped forward to lead the cataloging process. Details to be
                      announced later...

                      > Herb Johnson wrote:
                      >>

                      >> Title, author, box number to find the book. Any other information can
                      >> be found on a Web search. A list of books can be "classified",
                      >> database-ed, Web-paged, searched - that can be done later. Unboxing
                      >> books later just to list them is a pain in the a--.
                      >>

                      > Herb has mentioned many great points about the value of books.. I would
                      > only add that the ISBN number also be recorded. There is a different
                      > ISBN for each edition of a book and also for the hard- and soft cover
                      > versions.

                    • Bill Degnan
                      Message 10 of 19 , Mar 20, 2008
                        In theory all one would have to do is record the ISBN and then look up in a database search later, yes?
                        bd

                        Herb is correct (as usual, I may add!). By coincidence, one of our
                        members stepped forward to lead the cataloging process. Details to be
                        announced later...

                        > Herb Johnson wrote:
                        >>

                        >> Title, author, box number to find the book. Any other information can
                        >> be found on a Web search. A list of books can be "classified",
                        >> database-ed, Web-paged, searched - that can be done later. Unboxing
                        >> books later just to list them is a pain in the a--.
                        >>

                        > Herb has mentioned many great points about the value of books.. I would
                        > only add that the ISBN number also be recorded. There is a different
                        > ISBN for each edition of a book and also for the hard- and soft cover
                        > versions.

                        <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                      • Mason Taube
                        Message 11 of 19 , Mar 20, 2008
                          A USB bar code scanner or a cue cat would automate this.

                          In theory all one would have to do is record the ISBN and then look up in a database search later, yes?

                          .

                        • Joe Giliberti

                            Message 13 of 19 , Mar 20, 2008

                              Brian Pope wrote:

                              > > Herb has mentioned many great points about the value of books
                              > > I would
                              > > only add that the ISBN number also be recorded.

                              Thanks for the good responses.

                              I suggest cataloging be done by those who are "boxing" the books. It
                              will never be more convenient, and you'll never have more people to
                              share the work. With one person recording - by pen or PDA or by photo
                              - the other boxing, it will go faster. While it will take twice as
                              long to box the books (with half the people boxing), other work may
                              slow things down anyway (like hauling the books to storage).

                              As for that "leader", spare him or her the task of unboxing EVERY
                              book, just to write a title and name and then put it back in the box.

                              ISBN numbers are displayed by Google, Amazon, etc. when a book
                              title/author search is done. It's a good number to have no doubt. But
                              it's hard to write without errors, and may not be on a title page. It
                              would slow down the process to find it, record it, check it. I think
                              Amazon can find it faster: cut, paste, click. (Write a Perl script to
                              do it.)

                              One number to record, if this is done as suggested, is a BOX number.
                              You can number boxes before use, or just give everyone an alpha letter
                              and they can number their own lists with that identifying letter.
                              "B12" is Brian's 12th cataloged box, each book in that box is listed.
                              Bingo! It's a lot easier to "organize" books as a text file; where the
                              book is on a shelf *next to other books* does not matter anymore.
                              Leave them in the boxes until someone wants one, THEN they just have
                              to find a box!

                              Photography, by the way is another fast way to snag author/title info.
                              (I believe someone on this list suggested digital photos as a catalog
                              method.) It does mean someone, later, has to look at hundreds of
                              photos of title pages. It's just delaying the inedible. But
                              make it a contest: find the secret book, submit the magic ISBN number,
                              win...a book! I think those Inter-net guys call this "pro-suming",
                              when the consumer becomes their own clerk.

                              Any way it is done, *keep your eyes on the prize* - a list of books.

                              Herb Johnson
                              book 'em Dan-o
                              Message 14 of 19 , Mar 20, 2008
                                Message
                                No idea.

                                Will look into it.

                                I think most of them are already catalogued by Aswin (a general-purpose InfoAge volunteer) but I don't know details of the method used.

                                Since we're talking about it ... for anyone who is interested ... Joe is the aforementioned MARCHin who volunteered.  InfoAge has a room (upstairs in the hotel) which will become the RADAR and radio library.  Currently there's a large section of computer books which MARCH will take over.  As discussed a few weeks ago, we'll keep some for our own library, sell others, etc. ... Joe's role will be to extract a new spreadsheet or database from the existing one (new one will only be the computer books), then box up the "interesting" books separately from the how-to / newer commodity books.  We'll keep one copy of all the how-to books (Fred's idea) and we can sell the rest.  The history/academic books will go into the MARCH library, but first they'll go into storage while we work on exhibit areas.  This is all MORE timely than cataloging our computers per se, because the InfoAge library is way ahead of our own schedule, and they need to clear out the computer books.  (Also, as I understand, most high schools these days require students to have man hours of community service / volunteer time -- this will go a long way toward Joe's service on that front.)

                                Joe, I hope you don't mind that I explained it that way ... just sharing my gratitude!

                                Message 15 of 19 , Mar 23, 2008
                                  Message
                                  By the way, I have to leave InfoAge by 4pm sharp on the 30th.  Have a flight to catch at Newark that night.
                                • Joe Giliberti
                                  Message 16 of 19 , Mar 28, 2008
                                    I don't mind how you explained it, its just a bit innaccurate. To be completely honest, high school grades have nothing to do with my desire to help out, and I've already got any volunteer time I would have needed with hundreds of hours on the first aid squad. I just enjoy it. Believe it or not, I find these types of tasks fun.

                                    Joe

                                    Message 17 of 19 , Mar 28, 2008
                                      > do we know that al of these books have bar codes and ISBN numbers?
                                      >> A USB bar code scanner or a cue cat would automate this.
                                      > In theory all one would have to do is record the ISBN and then look up in
                                      a database search later, yes?

                                      Problems
                                      1: Really Old Books may not have ISBNs
                                      2: Moderately Old Books will not have BarCodes
                                      3: (surprise) Notice that the barcodes are a hack of the ISBNs

                                      I just noticed number 3
                                      My scanner works fine, plugs in-between an external KB and
                                      the PS/2 port, enters text into any application...
                                      But notice that the text written in the barcode doesn't match the
                                      ISBN number exactly.

                                      Until somebody figures out what that other number is,
                                      barcodes may be a waste of time.

                                      John A.
                                      Message 18 of 19 , Mar 28, 2008
                                        Message
                                        Got it.  (Wrote that part before you mentioned the first aid hours to me.)

                                        Message 19 of 19 , Mar 28, 2008
                                          Message
                                          I'll bring (mmmm) doughnuts.

                                          But it's BYO coffee.  Trust me, you don't want me getting the coffee.

                                          There is a Quick Chek at 2510 Belmar Blvd.; a place in the same strip mall as the QC called Country Kitchen (diner); and a smaller diner/luncheonette called Happy Day's 2809 Belmar Blvd.