Mystery machine

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 18, 2008
      Maybe someone's memory here is better than mine. I used to have a
      broken computer that I'd swear was manufactured by Xerox.

      It was physically about 1 foot tall, 2 feet deep and 1.5 feet across.
      It had a lot of proprietary-looking ports on the rear.

      The front was dominated by a screen (a screen about as big as the
      Apple IIc's), and a 5.25 floppy, half-height, on it's side (on the
      right hand side). This made the monitor and the floppy drive about
      the same height along the bezel. On the other side of the monitor,
      but hidden behind the bezel, was a full-height 5.25 HD.

      The thing was deep, and underneath the case were lots of cards that
      ran width-wise along a main bus. I can't remember properly, but I'd
      say the cards were about 1 foot wide by 8 inches tall.

      I'd tripped over the thing around 1987, someone was throwing it out
      in Manhattan. I had a friend help me lug it home, and it sat in my
      room until I threw it away. I don't think I ever got it to work, but
      to this day I'm curious as to what it was.

      I seem to recall someone telling me once it might have been some kind
      of high-speed terminal, but, I can't fathom that needing all those
      cards, and a hard drive. Maybe it was some kind of industrial
      controller for some larger piece of equipment, but you'd think
      there's be something about it on the internet, and so far, I have't
      seen anything.

      Anybody ever seen anything like this????

      TTYL
      Brian C.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 18, 2008
        http://www.old-computers.com/museum/company.asp?st=1&l=X

        One of these perhaps?

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 19, 2008
          wrote:

          > http://www.old-computers.com/museum/company.asp?st=1&l=X
          >
          > One of these perhaps?

          ------------------

          Not really, although if you imagine the 820 about twice as wide to
          have a HD on one side of the screen and a floppy on the other, that
          might be about right. I wonder if Xerox made a variant on the 820
          like that.

          Here's another clue:
          http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/xeroxdolphin/Image14.jpg

          Those are the right cards -- they are the correct shape and have
          those plastic tabs to lock them in place. I remember those.

          One of these days I'll trip over another one of these things and then
          I'll keep it. Too bad I never documented all the really cool junk I
          had when I lived in Queens.

          Ah well.
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 19, 2008
            At 07:15 AM 3/19/2008 +0000, you wrote:
            >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Evan Koblentz" <evan@...>
            >wrote:
            > >
            > > http://www.old-computers.com/museum/company.asp?st=1&l=X
            > >
            > > One of these perhaps?
            > >
            >------------------
            >
            >Not really, although if you imagine the 820 about twice as wide to
            >have a HD on one side of the screen and a floppy on the other, that
            >might be about right. I wonder if Xerox made a variant on the 820
            >like that.
            >
            >Here's another clue:
            >http://www.digibarn.com/collections/systems/xeroxdolphin/Image14.jpg
            >
            >Those are the right cards -- they are the correct shape and have
            >those plastic tabs to lock them in place. I remember those.
            >
            >One of these days I'll trip over another one of these things and then
            >I'll keep it. Too bad I never documented all the really cool junk I
            >had when I lived in Queens.
            >
            >Ah well.

            The pictures of the 820-II referenced by Evan may not jog your memory
            because these don't include the external drive unit which usually
            accompanied the computer in actual use...a person typically used the drive
            unit, which was the same size as the computer/monitor, side by side with
            the computer. That I believe is exactly what you're describing.

            I bet that this is it:
            http://www.classiccmp.org/dunfield/miscpm/h/x820ii.jpg

            I have the whole shebang new in box (computer, drives, software, etc). I
            will set it up and take some pictures after the current round of project
            pictures I am working with are published on my web site
            (vintagecomputer.net). About a year ago, when I last tested the 820-II it
            worked great.