Hotel and Show questions

  • David Gesswein
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 22, 2005
      Was thinking it was about time to figure out hotels also. When is
      setup/teardown and hours we should be around our exhibits? Is it more than
      show hours? Do they have some security so big things will be safe
      over night but I should take the small stuff away?

      I also assume we have rolling access from where we unload to the exhibit
      area? PDP-8's don't like stairs. My back doesn't like PDP-8's either.
      Hopefully I can borrow some muscle.

      Anybody familiar with the hotels and can recommend one? (not looking for
      fancy but clean and safe would be nice).
    • evan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 23, 2005
        I'll try to have all the answers by the end of this week.

        There will be security, but I've never exhibited at this show before, so I
        can't speak from any experience about the quality. Whether to leave your stuff
        at night or take it with you is an individual decision about trust. I doubt
        that rent-a-cops will care or understand how unique our exhibits are, vs. the
        countless ordinary PCs in the room.

        Since my own exhibit is mostly of rare and valuable handhelds, some of which
        took me years to find, I feel much more comfortable taking them home at night.
        I'm sort of a paranoid control freak about this stuff. :)

        For desktops/minicomputers, maybe we can devise some ways to lock them up?

        --- David Gesswein <djg@...> wrote:

        > Was thinking it was about time to figure out hotels also. When is
        > setup/teardown and hours we should be around our exhibits? Is it more than
        > show hours? Do they have some security so big things will be safe
        > over night but I should take the small stuff away?
        >
        > I also assume we have rolling access from where we unload to the exhibit
        > area? PDP-8's don't like stairs. My back doesn't like PDP-8's either.
        > Hopefully I can borrow some muscle.
        >
        > Anybody familiar with the hotels and can recommend one? (not looking for
        > fancy but clean and safe would be nice).

        =====
        Evan's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

        *** Tell your friends about the Computer Collector Newsletter!
        - It's free and we'll never send spam or share your email address
        - Publishing every Monday(-ish), ask about writing for us
        - 684 readers and counting!
      • ahm
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 23, 2005
          Evan,

          Could you find out how many passes we get per table?
          Ideally it would be more than one, so we can have a helper.

          Thanks,
          Andy
        • evan
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 23, 2005
            Will do.

            =====
            Evan's personal homepage: www.snarc.net

            *** Tell your friends about the Computer Collector Newsletter!
            - It's free and we'll never send spam or share your email address
            - Publishing every Monday(-ish), ask about writing for us
            - 684 readers and counting!
          • evan947
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 27, 2005
              Shoot... end of the week came and went, and I didn't get to this.
              Sorry. Will try to make time for it soon.