Re: Ebay and Vintage Comp Sales (to keep this on topic)

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008
      Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

      > I know. I went one year when MARCH did their thing and
      > I thought that was cool. but it's not cool enough just
      > to go all the way just for that. I'll go to VCF.

      The discussion in this thread seems to be either about eBay, or about
      the TCF fleamarket. But it's all about selling "vintage" computer
      items. Since I sell as a business, every day, these issues are
      important to me. But I don't want to prolong a wide and long thread.
      Maybe I'll post something in depth on my Website. I think what amounts
      to editorials "work" better on a Web page than buried in a discussion
      thread. But here's some bullet points.

      Ebay is like the rest of the Web. The Web is going "corporate",
      dominated by large corporate interests. Ebay is worse than that, as it
      levels the "ground" with its common interface and rules for every
      seller, and worse because it makes buyers and sellers anonommous, just
      names and bids, and worse still because of competitive bidding.

      There are other Web venues, like craigslist and freecycle. But they
      have their own "rules" - some self-monitoring culture I don't
      understand - and they are for one-off sales anyway.

      So I don't use eBay. I have my own Web site, my own rules. But I also
      have *my own good name and reputation*. My butt is on the line every
      single day. That keeps me honest. And THAT, and other policies I have,
      keep my customers happy.

      The TCF flea market is no longer part of "TCF". It's run by a company
      which runs those weekend computer shows. But it's more like a hamfest
      than those shows, anyway - an expensive hamfest, which is one reason
      it is small. The other reason is that ALL hamfests have shrunk.

      In any event, even the recent computer sellers have fled the hamfests.
      New computers are cheap, and computers a few years old are plentiful
      and too cheap to resell - and too "slow" for today's users. There are
      more reasons why "vintage" computers in particular don't show up at
      hamfests, or TCF. Oh, and MARCH doesn't support sales at their VCF-
      East. So non-Web venues for vintage computers are rare today.

      Those are some thoughts. One comment: please keep this discussion
      civil. I don't like the term "junk sellers", junk is a perjorative
      term for most people. I don't sell junk. "Individual" sellers would
      likely work as well.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com
    • Dave Sica
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008

        On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 16:12:34 -0000 "Herb Johnson" <herbjohnson@...> writes:
        > I don't want to prolong a wide and long thread.
        I have been receiving perhaps 10 times the number of posts via the medatlanticretro discussion group than from any other single source to which I subscribe. I am a new member and I enjoy the fact that this group has lively discussions  I enjoy the discussions and am learning from them.

        > The TCF flea market is no longer part of "TCF". It's run by a
        company
        > which runs those weekend computer shows.

        For what it's worth, "we" (The New Jersey Antique Radio Club) used to participate at TCF with a display of our own, usually next to the MARCH display. Two years ago, the last time we exhibited, we were made to feel more like party crashers than volunteers bringing value added to the show. As you know, it's a lot of work to bring in and staff an equipment exhibit. Because of that we no longer participate in the show.

        > One comment: please keep this discussion civil.
        > I don't
        like the term "junk sellers", junk is a perjorative
        > term for most
        people.

        Personally, I use the term junk (or more correctly "junque") only with the most sincere affection ;-) !

        --Dave Sica

        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008
          lol

          > B. Degnan wrote:
          >
          > Bill "not Tandy man" Degnan
          > --adapted from Willy Wonka and sung to the tune Candy man
          >
          > Bill: Who can take a Sun ?
          > Finkle in a screw ----
          > Cover it in paint--
          > is it a miracle or taboo?--
          >
          > The Tandy man
          > The Tandy man can
          > The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
          > and makes the world run good

          <snip>
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008
            To Herb Johnson

            You are 100% accurate in what you said.

            EBay is catering to larger business and sales of new
            items.

            TCF's flea market is like all those weekend computer
            shows and thats why it sucks. TCF is less about the
            hobbyist and more about the selling of beige boxes.

            IMHO this is because they raised the price from $35 to
            $75 for the flea market spots.

            As for the term Junk... I love it.. MY JUNK! Brian and
            I don't mean it as a bad thing. Sorry if you think of
            it that way.

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • Christian Liendo
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008
              Atari SM 124 Monitor

              http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/596695347.html

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • Ryan Harvey
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008
                Maybe I should make my jokes more comical... No one ever laughs at them!

                At least not my typed ones...I guess it is just the tone that makes the difference.

                --Ryan
                hahahaha

                "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                B Degnan <billdeg@degnanco. com> wrote:

                > I know that Bill Degnan would *love* to add that Tandy machine to his
                > collection, cause he is the Tandy man! Too bad it does not have a
                > stringy drive to go along with it...
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Bryan
                >

                > P.S. Hopefully Bill does not strangle me with a stringy floppy drive
                > belt!

                ha!
                Bring the 1000sx to InfoAge...? It's a good example of early budget PC
                clone of XT, easy to repair. I have a 10MB model from a Halmark store.
                It had a card making program w/ Garfield chip art.
                bd

                > At 07:57 PM 3/5/2008 -0800, you wrote:
                > Tell ya what...gimmie $20+shipping and I will send it to your door.

                > same offer for everyone else

                > --Ryan

                just to clarify, I am not interested in the 1000sx, Bryan was kidding.  I was suggesting that it be donated to InfoAge if it would be thrown out anyway.  May not be practical, not with the cost of shipping.

                Bill "not Tandy man" Degnan