Ebay and Vintage Comp Sales (to keep this on topic)

    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 5, 2008
      <snip>

      >I don't hate ebay, but I am dissatisfied with their performance, and
      >for what they do charge, we should get better. They've changed their
      >website considerably to appease the professional sellers, but they've
      >done very little to make life easier for the junk sellers, who were
      >(and I think still are) their core audience.
      >
      >Sorry for the long and offtopic rant, but I was asked the question so I
      >thought I'd answer it.
      >
      >TTYL
      >Brian C.

      I understand better where the dissent is coming from - the junk sellers
      feel squeezed out.

      My company engineers applications like Ebay (if we could only get their
      contract!) and I personally use Ebay to sell about as much as I buy. I
      used their tools to create a re-usable template or two, and I sell
      everything starting at 99 cents even if it's worth $10,000. I calculate
      and then add their fees into the advertised shipping and handling
      charges. Simple, fast, and it works for me. I am usually surprised at how
      *well* my auctions do. Case in point, last week I sold an IEEE to PET
      cable for over $100, starting at 99 cents. Have you ever seen an
      IEEE-->PET cable go for more on another site?

      http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270214790828

      Like everything else, you just have to know how to work the system, take
      good pics, and avoid situations where you need to contact Ebay. Phone
      support for a web site is not in the idiom for the media.

      Bill
    • Bob Grieb
      Message 2 of 24 , Mar 5, 2008
        Bill,

        To take this back off-topic:

        I agree with people that feel that ebay as a
        company does pretty much nothing to earn the money
        that they make. For instance, many auctions take place
        almost completely in the last 2 minutes, even if they
        run for a week. I think this favors people using programs
        for bidding and is not the best way to get the best price
        for a seller. Ebay could have noticed this, as I am sure
        they have, and changed the way their auctions work a little
        to make them more like a "real" auction. How many "real"
        auctions have you been to where someone didn't get something
        that sold for less than they would have been willing to pay?

        Also, I think the new rules concerning feedback are a big
        step backward. I have been using ebay for a long time,
        and have been dissappointed that the company doesn't seem
        interested in fixing some fairly obvious problems.

        Bob Grieb

        --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > <snip>
        >
        > >I don't hate ebay, but I am dissatisfied with their performance, and
        > >for what they do charge, we should get better. They've changed their
        > >website considerably to appease the professional sellers, but
        > they've
        > >done very little to make life easier for the junk sellers, who were
        > >(and I think still are) their core audience.
        > >
        > >Sorry for the long and offtopic rant, but I was asked the question
        > so I
        > >thought I'd answer it.
        > >
        > >TTYL
        > >Brian C.
        >
        > I understand better where the dissent is coming from - the junk
        > sellers
        > feel squeezed out.
        >
        > My company engineers applications like Ebay (if we could only get
        > their
        > contract!) and I personally use Ebay to sell about as much as I buy.
        > used their tools to create a re-usable template or two, and I sell
        > everything starting at 99 cents even if it's worth $10,000. I
        > calculate
        > and then add their fees into the advertised shipping and handling
        > charges. Simple, fast, and it works for me. I am usually surprised
        > at how
        > *well* my auctions do. Case in point, last week I sold an IEEE to
        > PET
        > cable for over $100, starting at 99 cents. Have you ever seen an
        > IEEE-->PET cable go for more on another site?
        >
        > http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=270214790828
        >
        > Like everything else, you just have to know how to work the system,
        > take
        > good pics, and avoid situations where you need to contact Ebay.
        > Phone
        > support for a web site is not in the idiom for the media.
        >
        > Bill

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • Bob Applegate
        Message 3 of 24 , Mar 5, 2008
          Dell has an auction site, and any bid made in the last 10 minutes automatically extends the
          auction another 10 minutes.  Ie, you can't drop in a high bid in the last few seconds.  Prices
          are pretty stable the last 15 minutes, and someone who really wants an item can take their
          time to out-bid someone else.  There's no panic mode.

          I wish eBay would do the same.

          Bob

          --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@degnanco. com> wrote:

          > <snip>
          >
          > >I don't hate ebay, but I am dissatisfied with their performance, and
          > >for what they do charge, we should get better. They've changed their
          > >website considerably to appease the professional sellers, but
          > they've
          > >done very little to make life easier for the junk sellers, who were
          > >(and I think still are) their core audience.
          > >
          > >Sorry for the long and offtopic rant, but I was asked the question
          > so I
          > >thought I'd answer it.
          > >
          > >TTYL
          > >Brian C.
          >
          > I understand better where the dissent is coming from - the junk
          > sellers
          > feel squeezed out.
          >
          > My company engineers applications like Ebay (if we could only get
          > their
          > contract!) and I personally use Ebay to sell about as much as I buy.
          > used their tools to create a re-usable template or two, and I sell
          > everything starting at 99 cents even if it's worth $10,000. I
          > calculate
          > and then add their fees into the advertised shipping and handling
          > charges. Simple, fast, and it works for me. I am usually surprised
          > at how
          > *well* my auctions do. Case in point, last week I sold an IEEE to
          > PET
          > cable for over $100, starting at 99 cents. Have you ever seen an
          > IEEE-->PET cable go for more on another site?
          >
          > http://cgi.ebay. com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll?ViewItem& rd=1&item= 270214790828
          >
          > Like everything else, you just have to know how to work the system,
          > take
          > good pics, and avoid situations where you need to contact Ebay.
          > Phone
          > support for a web site is not in the idiom for the media.
          >
          > Bill

          http://www.yahoo. com/r/hs

        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 24 , Mar 5, 2008
            Well no..

            The real problems are now because so many people have
            burned each other, you have collateral damage.

            You have unscrupulous sellers who falsify what they
            sell, then you have buyers who fake bids to knock you
            out or are just stupid and dont know what they are
            doing.

            I had stuff for sale on Ebay, I was selling old games
            and other people are selling the same. So my stuff got
            bidded very high by a guy with 0 feedback. I thought
            this was odd. Needless to say it was a fake, I never
            got paid and had to repost, but it happened again. I
            complained to Ebay but they did nothing.

            So I sold it on craigslist. I probably made more money
            because I didn't have to pay fees.

            Brian has a lot more examples of this than I do.

            I really miss the OLD TCF when it was on that large
            college campus and there was a HUGE flea market and I
            would buy a space just to park inside. (yea I bought
            that much stuff, my new soon to be ex-wife would later
            on ask me what all this "crap" was)

            Sigh.

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 24 , Mar 5, 2008
              On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Christian Liendo wrote:

              > I had stuff for sale on Ebay, I was selling old games
              > and other people are selling the same. So my stuff got
              > bidded very high by a guy with 0 feedback. I thought
              > this was odd. Needless to say it was a fake, I never
              > got paid and had to repost, but it happened again. I
              > complained to Ebay but they did nothing.
              >
              > So I sold it on craigslist. I probably made more money
              > because I didn't have to pay fees.

              For you guys selling on Craigslist - are you shipping, or are your
              buyers local? Like them or hate them, Ebay/PayPal did offer a bit of
              protection for buyers and sellers. My biggest concern with buying and
              selling through something like Craiglist would be the scam artists. The
              Craigslist for my area is small, and people interested in vintage computer
              items would most likely NOT be local. The only vintage items I see
              around here are the occasional Apple IIe systems.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Evan
              Message 6 of 24 , Mar 5, 2008
                Please trim replies to long threads.

                Chris: In case you weren't aware, TCF moved from Edison (Raritan Center industrial park) back to the campus of Trenton State College (which is now called "The College of New Jersey") in 2005. But the flea market area is small.

                MARCH goes mainly to recruit for interest in our own activities.

                Message 7 of 24 , Mar 5, 2008
                  I know. I went one year when MARCH did their thing and
                  I thought that was cool. but it's not cool enough just
                  to go all the way just for that. I'll go to VCF.

                  Well I did see some college girls working out on the
                  field thats next to it, but still I am not going to
                  run all the way out there for that :)

                  Yea, but I remember the OLD OLD TCF that was on some
                  college campus that I cannot remember the name. You
                  used to have to park, then take a bus to the show.

                  It was awesome. Huge flea market, Major vendors were
                  there. I sooooooooooooooo enjoyed it. It was Nerdvana.

                  I stopped going for a few years and I believe I went
                  to the 2005. I haven't gone in a while. To me it
                  wasn't worth it.

                  --- Evan <evan@...> wrote:

                  > Please trim replies to long threads.
                  >
                  > Chris: In case you weren't aware, TCF moved from
                  > Edison (Raritan Center industrial park) back to the
                  > campus of Trenton State College (which is now called
                  > "The College of New Jersey") in 2005. But the flea
                  > market area is small.
                  >
                  > MARCH goes mainly to recruit for interest in our own
                  > activities.

                  > large college campus

                  Be a better friend, newshound, and
                • Ryan Harvey
                  Message 8 of 24 , Mar 5, 2008
                    I honesly dislike eBay for their new rules, but as someone pointed out on here before(or was it the VC forums?), eBay is the way to go for higher net profit, and in times like these, I could use it. As for the 0 bidding problem, I have my auctions setup so that if you have too many negatives and not enough positive, or less than 5 positive feedback, you can't bid on my auction. Though I have noticed scammers are hacking into accounts with high feedback, bidding on crap, then playing off their scam.

                    Even with the fact that we could all use a little extra cash, I now only turn to eBay as a last hope. Even on eBay, no one wanted my Tandy 1000SX with color Tandy monitor, keyboard, and joystick for $20. I was even offering accessories and DOS! Still, no bids. I am moving this summer, and can't take it with me. Hell, I have to dump my 1988 25" TV somewhere before I move, too! I am only getting rid of the Tandy because I never liked it from the start. I was just saving it from the dump. Maybe I will list it on here...never thought of that...

                    --Ryan

                    --- Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@yahoo. com> wrote:

> [...]
                    > > calculate
                    > > and then add their fees into the advertised
                    > shipping and handling
                    > > charges. Simple, fast, and it works for me. I am
                    > usually surprised
                    > > at how
                    > > *well* my auctions do. Case in point, last week I
                    > sold an IEEE to
                    > > PET
                    > > cable for over $100, starting at 99 cents. Have
                    > you ever seen an
                    > > IEEE-->PET cable go for more on another site?

                    http://cgi.ebay. com/ws/eBayISAPI .dll?ViewItem& rd=1&item= 270214790828

                    > > Like everything else, you just have to know how to
                    > work the system,
                    > > take
                    > > good pics, and avoid situations where you need to
                    > contact Ebay.
                    > > Phone
                    > > support for a web site is not in the idiom for the

                  • Bryan Pope
                    Message 9 of 24 , Mar 5, 2008
                      Ryan Harvey wrote:
                      > Even with the fact that we could all use a little extra cash, I now
                      > only turn to eBay as a last hope. Even on eBay, no one wanted my Tandy
                      > 1000SX with color Tandy monitor, keyboard, and joystick for $20. I was
                      > even offering accessories and DOS! Still, no bids. I am moving this
                      > summer, and can't take it with me. Hell, I have to dump my 1988 25" TV
                      > somewhere before I move, too! I am only getting rid of the Tandy
                      > because I never liked it from the start. I was just saving it from the
                      > dump. Maybe I will list it on here...never thought of that...

                      I know that Bill Degnan would *love* to add that Tandy machine to his
                      collection, cause he is the Tandy man! Too bad it does not have a
                      stringy drive to go along with it...

                      Cheers,

                      Bryan

                      P.S. Hopefully Bill does not strangle me with a stringy floppy drive belt!
                      Message 10 of 24 , Mar 5, 2008

                        > I know that Bill Degnan would *love* to add that Tandy machine to his
                        > collection, cause he is the Tandy man! Too bad it does not have a
                        > stringy drive to go along with it...
                        >
                        > Cheers,
                        >
                        > Bryan
                        >

                        > P.S. Hopefully Bill does not strangle me with a stringy floppy drive
                        > belt!

                        ha!
                        Bring the 1000sx to InfoAge...? It's a good example of early budget PC
                        clone of XT, easy to repair. I have a 10MB model from a Halmark store.
                        It had a card making program w/ Garfield chip art.
                        bd
                      • Ryan Harvey
                        Message 11 of 24 , Mar 5, 2008
                          Tell ya what...gimmie $20+shipping and I will send it to your door.

                          same offer for everyone else

                          --Ryan

                          Message 12 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008

                            B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                            > I know that Bill Degnan would *love* to add that Tandy machine to his
                            > collection, cause he is the Tandy man! Too bad it does not have a
                            > stringy drive to go along with it...
                            >
                            > Cheers,
                            >
                            > Bryan
                            >

                            > P.S. Hopefully Bill does not strangle me with a stringy floppy drive
                            > belt!

                            ha!
                            Bring the 1000sx to InfoAge...? It's a good example of early budget PC
                            clone of XT, easy to repair. I have a 10MB model from a Halmark store.
                            It had a card making program w/ Garfield chip art.
                            bd

                            > At 07:57 PM 3/5/2008 -0800, you wrote:
                            > Tell ya what...gimmie $20+shipping and I will send it to your door.

                            > same offer for everyone else

                            > --Ryan

                            just to clarify, I am not interested in the 1000sx, Bryan was kidding.  I was suggesting that it be donated to InfoAge if it would be thrown out anyway.  May not be practical, not with the cost of shipping.

                            Bill "not Tandy man" Degnan
                          • Dan Roganti
                            Message 13 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008

                              B. Degnan wrote:

                              Bill "not Tandy man" Degnan

                              --adapted from Willy Wonka and sung to the tune Candy man

                              Bill:     Who can take a Sun ?
                                  Finkle in a screw ----
                                  Cover it in paint--
                                  is it a miracle or taboo?--

                                  The Tandy man
                                  The Tandy man can
                                  The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                  and makes the world run good

                                  Who can take a wet DEC rainbow
                                  Disassemble it is a sigh
                                  Dry it first in the sun
                                  and let the floppy drives run dry?

                              Children: The Tandy man?

                              Bill:     The Tandy man
                                  The Tandy man can
                                  The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                  and makes the world run good

                                  Tandy man makes
                                  All the vintage flakes
                                  Satisfying not to own jalopies
                                  Talk about your childhood vintage copies
                                  You can even eat the floppies

                                  Who can take Morrow S-100 motherboard
                                  Whip it in a snap
                                  Separate the blown tantalums
                                  And collect up all the scrap?

                              The Tandy man

                              Children:The Tandy man can

                              Bill:     The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                  And makes the world run good
                                  And the world runs good cause the Tandy man thinks it should

                              --------------------------
                              ok--back to work
                              =Dan

                            • Sridhar Ayengar
                              Message 14 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008
                                Dan Roganti wrote:
                                > B. Degnan wrote:
                                >> Bill "not Tandy man" Degnan
                                >>
                                > --adapted from Willy Wonka and sung to the tune Candy man
                                >
                                > Bill: Who can take a Sun ?
                                > Finkle in a screw ----
                                > Cover it in paint--
                                > is it a miracle or taboo?--
                                >
                                > The Tandy man
                                > The Tandy man can
                                > The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                > and makes the world run good
                                >
                                > Who can take a wet DEC rainbow
                                > Disassemble it is a sigh
                                > Dry it first in the sun
                                > and let the floppy drives run dry?
                                >
                                > Children: The Tandy man?
                                >
                                > Bill: The Tandy man
                                > The Tandy man can
                                > The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                > and makes the world run good
                                >
                                > Tandy man makes
                                > All the vintage flakes
                                > Satisfying not to own jalopies
                                > Talk about your childhood vintage copies
                                > You can even eat the floppies
                                >
                                > Who can take Morrow S-100 motherboard
                                > Whip it in a snap
                                > Separate the blown tantalums
                                > And collect up all the scrap?
                                >
                                > The Tandy man
                                >
                                > Children:The Tandy man can
                                >
                                > Bill: The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                > And makes the world run good
                                > And the world runs good cause the Tandy man thinks it should

                                Ok. You have too much time on your hands.

                                Peace... Sridhar
                              • Herb Johnson
                                Message 15 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008
                                  Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                                  > I know. I went one year when MARCH did their thing and
                                  > I thought that was cool. but it's not cool enough just
                                  > to go all the way just for that. I'll go to VCF.

                                  The discussion in this thread seems to be either about eBay, or about
                                  the TCF fleamarket. But it's all about selling "vintage" computer
                                  items. Since I sell as a business, every day, these issues are
                                  important to me. But I don't want to prolong a wide and long thread.
                                  Maybe I'll post something in depth on my Website. I think what amounts
                                  to editorials "work" better on a Web page than buried in a discussion
                                  thread. But here's some bullet points.

                                  Ebay is like the rest of the Web. The Web is going "corporate",
                                  dominated by large corporate interests. Ebay is worse than that, as it
                                  levels the "ground" with its common interface and rules for every
                                  seller, and worse because it makes buyers and sellers anonommous, just
                                  names and bids, and worse still because of competitive bidding.

                                  There are other Web venues, like craigslist and freecycle. But they
                                  have their own "rules" - some self-monitoring culture I don't
                                  understand - and they are for one-off sales anyway.

                                  So I don't use eBay. I have my own Web site, my own rules. But I also
                                  have *my own good name and reputation*. My butt is on the line every
                                  single day. That keeps me honest. And THAT, and other policies I have,
                                  keep my customers happy.

                                  The TCF flea market is no longer part of "TCF". It's run by a company
                                  which runs those weekend computer shows. But it's more like a hamfest
                                  than those shows, anyway - an expensive hamfest, which is one reason
                                  it is small. The other reason is that ALL hamfests have shrunk.

                                  In any event, even the recent computer sellers have fled the hamfests.
                                  New computers are cheap, and computers a few years old are plentiful
                                  and too cheap to resell - and too "slow" for today's users. There are
                                  more reasons why "vintage" computers in particular don't show up at
                                  hamfests, or TCF. Oh, and MARCH doesn't support sales at their VCF-
                                  East. So non-Web venues for vintage computers are rare today.

                                  Those are some thoughts. One comment: please keep this discussion
                                  civil. I don't like the term "junk sellers", junk is a perjorative
                                  term for most people. I don't sell junk. "Individual" sellers would
                                  likely work as well.

                                  Herb Johnson
                                  retrotechnology.com
                                • Dave Sica
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008

                                    On Thu, 06 Mar 2008 16:12:34 -0000 "Herb Johnson" <herbjohnson@...> writes:
                                    > I don't want to prolong a wide and long thread.
                                    I have been receiving perhaps 10 times the number of posts via the medatlanticretro discussion group than from any other single source to which I subscribe. I am a new member and I enjoy the fact that this group has lively discussions  I enjoy the discussions and am learning from them.

                                    > The TCF flea market is no longer part of "TCF". It's run by a
                                    company
                                    > which runs those weekend computer shows.

                                    For what it's worth, "we" (The New Jersey Antique Radio Club) used to participate at TCF with a display of our own, usually next to the MARCH display. Two years ago, the last time we exhibited, we were made to feel more like party crashers than volunteers bringing value added to the show. As you know, it's a lot of work to bring in and staff an equipment exhibit. Because of that we no longer participate in the show.

                                    > One comment: please keep this discussion civil.
                                    > I don't
                                    like the term "junk sellers", junk is a perjorative
                                    > term for most
                                    people.

                                    Personally, I use the term junk (or more correctly "junque") only with the most sincere affection ;-) !

                                    --Dave Sica

                                    Message 17 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008
                                      lol

                                      > B. Degnan wrote:
                                      >
                                      > Bill "not Tandy man" Degnan
                                      > --adapted from Willy Wonka and sung to the tune Candy man
                                      >
                                      > Bill: Who can take a Sun ?
                                      > Finkle in a screw ----
                                      > Cover it in paint--
                                      > is it a miracle or taboo?--
                                      >
                                      > The Tandy man
                                      > The Tandy man can
                                      > The Tandy man can cause he mixes it with stringy floppies
                                      > and makes the world run good

                                      <snip>
                                    • Christian Liendo
                                      Message 18 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008
                                        To Herb Johnson

                                        You are 100% accurate in what you said.

                                        EBay is catering to larger business and sales of new
                                        items.

                                        TCF's flea market is like all those weekend computer
                                        shows and thats why it sucks. TCF is less about the
                                        hobbyist and more about the selling of beige boxes.

                                        IMHO this is because they raised the price from $35 to
                                        $75 for the flea market spots.

                                        As for the term Junk... I love it.. MY JUNK! Brian and
                                        I don't mean it as a bad thing. Sorry if you think of
                                        it that way.

                                        Message 19 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008
                                          Atari SM 124 Monitor

                                          http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/sys/596695347.html

                                          Message 20 of 24 , Mar 6, 2008
                                            Maybe I should make my jokes more comical... No one ever laughs at them!

                                            At least not my typed ones...I guess it is just the tone that makes the difference.

                                            --Ryan
                                            hahahaha