Re: value of items at datalink

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
      <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

      > Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
      > are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
      > Ebay.
      >
      > http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-
      CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZ
      WD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

      ----------------

      Chris,
      Let's not forget that TCF might be good this year because eBay has
      essentially killed itself.

      A long time ago, TCF was a great source of good junk because eBay
      didn't exist. Then eBay decimated the flea market at TCF because
      everyone kept their good stuff for eBay sales and sold garbage at TCF.

      Now the situation is reversed because between eBay's fees and the
      astronomical cost of shipping computers, selling an old computer on
      eBay is not economically feasible anymore. Nobody wants to pay $100
      in shiping for a machine worth at most $50.

      So now it's very likely that people will be selling decent stuff at
      TCF again, assuming that TCF isn't charging enormous fees for a flea
      market spot (if you can't make back your money for the spot, no sense
      in going, right?).

      So there's a good possibility of finding what you want at TCF this
      year, and, at a price that's not sky-high. But, that also may be just
      me being too optimistic. ;-)

      TTYL
      Brian C.
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
        > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
        >
        >> Bob,
        >>
        >> I was planning to join you if I am around,
        >> but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
        >> to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
        >
        > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
        > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
        > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
        >
        > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
        > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

        Bob,
        Being that Jim mentioned cash specifically that's the only method of
        payment I know for sure, but I assume they'd take credit card as well.
        They're a business, I would assume any money is good. Cash will could get
        you a better price?