RE: [midatlanticretro] Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
      Bob Grieb (on this list) was friends with the guy who started it. Yes,
      Ithica based, or at least founded. Bob... can you give some insight?

      Bob (the other one)

      Evan Koblentz <evan@...> wrote :

      > Not everyone in New Jersey actually says "yuz". :)
      >
      > Alas, I never heard of this thing.
      >
      > Was the company that made it based in Ithica, N.Y.? If so, then we should
      > have it here in the museum, not off in your warehouse!!

      ___________________________________
      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
    • Herb Johnson
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
        Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

        > Bob Grieb (on this list) was friends with the guy who started it. Yes,
        > Ithica based, or at least founded. Bob... can you give some insight?
        >
        > Bob (the other one)

        Of course, I've heard of the Ithaca Systems line:

        http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/d_ithaca.html

        ..and I have one. Not brought it up for some years. But I consider it
        to be the best implementation of the classic S-100 front panel. Evan,
        to my knowledge Ithaca Audio was based in Ithaca NY. They were an
        early producer of S-100 cars. They became Ithaca Intersystems at some
        later point.

        I'd appreciate someone writing a brief history on the company, for my
        Web page. Of course the author will be named, and I'll not post their
        address but refer any inquiries.

        Sellam, congrats on your acquisition, hope you get it running. It's
        fun to see the front panel self-step through a program. A somewhat
        famous owner was Jeff Duntemann, a software and science fiction author
        who later became a publisher of computing magazines and books in the
        1980's and 90's. He had both the Intersystem and the first IBM PC; he
        amused others by showing how the Z80 based Ithaca ran rings around the PC.

        HErb Johnson
        another S-100 owner
        retrotechnology.com
      • Bob Grieb
        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
          Sellam,

          A college classmate of mine founded Ithaca Intersystems.
          I had one of their Z80 boards in about 1978 or so, but never
          got a floppy or terminal connected.

          Bob Grieb

          --- Sellam Ismail <sellam@...> wrote:

          > So I finally got an Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1, something I've been
          > after
          > for quite some time.
          >
          > Some guy in NY came across my VCF want listing
          > (http://www.vintage.org/donate.php#stuff) and contacted me. He was
          > so
          > nice he even paid for the shipping costs.
          >
          > The DPS-1 is a nice machine as far as S-100 systems with the full
          > front
          > panel go. I'm guessing by the number of people I know to have one (1
          > or
          > 2) and how long it took me to find one (say 9 years, with only one
          > spotting on eBay that I can remember) I'd say it's pretty uncommon at
          >
          > least (rare is certainly appropriate).
          >
          > So my question for you MARCHins is, how many of yuz have one?
          >
          > --
          >
          > Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer
          > Festival

          > International Man of Intrigue and Danger
          > http://www.vintage.org
          >
          > [ Old computing resources for business || Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage
          > Computers ]
          > [ and academia at www.VintageTech.com || at
          > http://marketplace.vintage.org ]

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Bob Grieb
          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
            Evan,

            Ithaca, NY is not exactly Mid-Atlantic.
            It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

            Bob Grieb

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
              Sellam,

              Geez I wish you had said something. I had three of those under the back porch along with a DPS-0, but the tarp leaked and they melted into PCjr's. ;-)

              Jim

              So I finally got an Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1, something I've been after
              for quite some time.

              Some guy in NY came across my VCF want listing
              (http://www.vintage.org/donate.php#stuff) and contacted me.  He was so
              nice he even paid for the shipping costs.

              The DPS-1 is a nice machine as far as S-100 systems with the full front
              panel go.  I'm guessing by the number of people I know to have one (1 or
              2) and how long it took me to find one (say 9 years, with only one
              spotting on eBay that I can remember) I'd say it's pretty uncommon at
              least (rare is certainly appropriate).

              So my question for you MARCHins is, how many of yuz have one?

              --

              Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)