Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: value of items at datalink

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
      Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :

      > Bob,
      >
      > I was planning to join you if I am around,
      > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
      > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

      I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
      there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
      might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.

      Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
      $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

      Bob

      ___________________________________
      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
    • Brian Cirulnick
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Applegate <bob@...>
        wrote:

        > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
        >
        > > Bob,
        > >
        > > I was planning to join you if I am around,
        > > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
        > > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
        >
        > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
        > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
        > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
        >
        > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
        > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

        --------------------

        I guess the next question to ask is how many of us are going, as it
        seems as if the guys at the warehouse are hoping to make at least
        $2000 for showing up on a Saturday.

        Somehow I think that 5 people hoping to spend about $100 each is not
        going to equal $2000.

        But since we're talking about older machines, here's a system that I
        *would* be willing to pay good money for:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbrain

        I used to own one of these (still have the floppies for it), but
        alas, when I moved out of Queens 15 or 16 years ago I was forced to
        dump it. Now I miss it.

        So, if anyone spots one, let me know!

        TTYL
        Brian C.
      • Brian Cirulnick
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
          --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
          <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

          > Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
          > are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
          > Ebay.
          >
          > http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-
          CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZ
          WD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

          ----------------

          Chris,
          Let's not forget that TCF might be good this year because eBay has
          essentially killed itself.

          A long time ago, TCF was a great source of good junk because eBay
          didn't exist. Then eBay decimated the flea market at TCF because
          everyone kept their good stuff for eBay sales and sold garbage at TCF.

          Now the situation is reversed because between eBay's fees and the
          astronomical cost of shipping computers, selling an old computer on
          eBay is not economically feasible anymore. Nobody wants to pay $100
          in shiping for a machine worth at most $50.

          So now it's very likely that people will be selling decent stuff at
          TCF again, assuming that TCF isn't charging enormous fees for a flea
          market spot (if you can't make back your money for the spot, no sense
          in going, right?).

          So there's a good possibility of finding what you want at TCF this
          year, and, at a price that's not sky-high. But, that also may be just
          me being too optimistic. ;-)

          TTYL
          Brian C.
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
            > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
            >
            >> Bob,
            >>
            >> I was planning to join you if I am around,
            >> but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
            >> to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
            >
            > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
            > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
            > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
            >
            > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
            > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

            Bob,
            Being that Jim mentioned cash specifically that's the only method of
            payment I know for sure, but I assume they'd take credit card as well.
            They're a business, I would assume any money is good. Cash will could get
            you a better price?