RE: [midatlanticretro] Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
      Bob Grieb (on this list) was friends with the guy who started it. Yes,
      Ithica based, or at least founded. Bob... can you give some insight?

      Bob (the other one)

      ___________________________________
      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net

        Message 3 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaca_Intersystems

          Answers that question.

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
            Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

            > Bob Grieb (on this list) was friends with the guy who started it. Yes,
            > Ithica based, or at least founded. Bob... can you give some insight?
            >
            > Bob (the other one)

            Of course, I've heard of the Ithaca Systems line:

            http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/d_ithaca.html

            ..and I have one. Not brought it up for some years. But I consider it
            to be the best implementation of the classic S-100 front panel. Evan,
            to my knowledge Ithaca Audio was based in Ithaca NY. They were an
            early producer of S-100 cars. They became Ithaca Intersystems at some
            later point.

            I'd appreciate someone writing a brief history on the company, for my
            Web page. Of course the author will be named, and I'll not post their
            address but refer any inquiries.

            Sellam, congrats on your acquisition, hope you get it running. It's
            fun to see the front panel self-step through a program. A somewhat
            famous owner was Jeff Duntemann, a software and science fiction author
            who later became a publisher of computing magazines and books in the
            1980's and 90's. He had both the Intersystem and the first IBM PC; he
            amused others by showing how the Z80 based Ithaca ran rings around the PC.

            HErb Johnson
            another S-100 owner
            retrotechnology.com
          • Bob Grieb
            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
              Sellam,

              A college classmate of mine founded Ithaca Intersystems.
              I had one of their Z80 boards in about 1978 or so, but never
              got a floppy or terminal connected.

              Bob Grieb

              --- Sellam Ismail <sellam@...> wrote:

              > So I finally got an Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1, something I've been
              > after
              > for quite some time.
              >
              > Some guy in NY came across my VCF want listing
              > (http://www.vintage.org/donate.php#stuff) and contacted me. He was
              > so
              > nice he even paid for the shipping costs.
              >
              > The DPS-1 is a nice machine as far as S-100 systems with the full
              > front
              > panel go. I'm guessing by the number of people I know to have one (1
              > or
              > 2) and how long it took me to find one (say 9 years, with only one
              > spotting on eBay that I can remember) I'd say it's pretty uncommon at
              >
              > least (rare is certainly appropriate).
              >
              > So my question for you MARCHins is, how many of yuz have one?
              >
              > --
              >
              > Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer
              > Festival

              > International Man of Intrigue and Danger
              > http://www.vintage.org
              >
              > [ Old computing resources for business || Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage
              > Computers ]
              > [ and academia at www.VintageTech.com || at
              > http://marketplace.vintage.org ]

              Be a better friend, newshound, and
            • Bob Grieb
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
                Evan,

                Ithaca, NY is not exactly Mid-Atlantic.
                It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

                Bob Grieb

                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
                  Sellam,

                  Geez I wish you had said something. I had three of those under the back porch along with a DPS-0, but the tarp leaked and they melted into PCjr's. ;-)

                  Jim

                  So I finally got an Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1, something I've been after
                  for quite some time.

                  Some guy in NY came across my VCF want listing
                  (http://www.vintage.org/donate.php#stuff) and contacted me.  He was so
                  nice he even paid for the shipping costs.

                  The DPS-1 is a nice machine as far as S-100 systems with the full front
                  panel go.  I'm guessing by the number of people I know to have one (1 or
                  2) and how long it took me to find one (say 9 years, with only one
                  spotting on eBay that I can remember) I'd say it's pretty uncommon at
                  least (rare is certainly appropriate).

                  So my question for you MARCHins is, how many of yuz have one?

                  --

                  Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)