Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1

  • Sellam Ismail
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
      So I finally got an Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1, something I've been after
      for quite some time.

      Some guy in NY came across my VCF want listing
      (http://www.vintage.org/donate.php#stuff) and contacted me. He was so
      nice he even paid for the shipping costs.

      The DPS-1 is a nice machine as far as S-100 systems with the full front
      panel go. I'm guessing by the number of people I know to have one (1 or
      2) and how long it took me to find one (say 9 years, with only one
      spotting on eBay that I can remember) I'd say it's pretty uncommon at
      least (rare is certainly appropriate).

      So my question for you MARCHins is, how many of yuz have one?

      --

      Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer Festival

    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
        Bob Grieb (on this list) was friends with the guy who started it. Yes,
        Ithica based, or at least founded. Bob... can you give some insight?

        Bob (the other one)

        ___________________________________
        NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net

          So I finally got an Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1, something I've been after
          for quite some time.

          Some guy in NY came across my VCF want listing
          (http://www.vintage.org/donate.php#stuff) and contacted me. He was so
          nice he even paid for the shipping costs.

          The DPS-1 is a nice machine as far as S-100 systems with the full front
          panel go. I'm guessing by the number of people I know to have one (1 or
          2) and how long it took me to find one (say 9 years, with only one
          spotting on eBay that I can remember) I'd say it's pretty uncommon at
          least (rare is certainly appropriate).

          So my question for you MARCHins is, how many of yuz have one?

          --

          Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer
          Festival
          International Man of Intrigue and Danger
          http://www.vintage.org

          [ Old computing resources for business || Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage Computers
          ]
          [ and academia at www.VintageTech.com || at http://marketplace.vintage.org
          ]

          Message 4 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ithaca_Intersystems

            Answers that question.

            Message 5 of 8 , Mar 3, 2008
              Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:

              > Bob Grieb (on this list) was friends with the guy who started it. Yes,
              > Ithica based, or at least founded. Bob... can you give some insight?
              >
              > Bob (the other one)

              Of course, I've heard of the Ithaca Systems line:

              http://www.retrotechnology.com/herbs_stuff/d_ithaca.html

              ..and I have one. Not brought it up for some years. But I consider it
              to be the best implementation of the classic S-100 front panel. Evan,
              to my knowledge Ithaca Audio was based in Ithaca NY. They were an
              early producer of S-100 cars. They became Ithaca Intersystems at some
              later point.

              I'd appreciate someone writing a brief history on the company, for my
              Web page. Of course the author will be named, and I'll not post their
              address but refer any inquiries.

              Sellam, congrats on your acquisition, hope you get it running. It's
              fun to see the front panel self-step through a program. A somewhat
              famous owner was Jeff Duntemann, a software and science fiction author
              who later became a publisher of computing magazines and books in the
              1980's and 90's. He had both the Intersystem and the first IBM PC; he
              amused others by showing how the Z80 based Ithaca ran rings around the PC.

              HErb Johnson
              another S-100 owner
              retrotechnology.com
            • Bob Grieb
              Message 6 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
                Sellam,

                A college classmate of mine founded Ithaca Intersystems.
                I had one of their Z80 boards in about 1978 or so, but never
                got a floppy or terminal connected.

                Bob Grieb

                --- Sellam Ismail <sellam@...> wrote:

                > So I finally got an Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1, something I've been
                > after
                > for quite some time.
                >
                > Some guy in NY came across my VCF want listing
                > (http://www.vintage.org/donate.php#stuff) and contacted me. He was
                > so
                > nice he even paid for the shipping costs.
                >
                > The DPS-1 is a nice machine as far as S-100 systems with the full
                > front
                > panel go. I'm guessing by the number of people I know to have one (1
                > or
                > 2) and how long it took me to find one (say 9 years, with only one
                > spotting on eBay that I can remember) I'd say it's pretty uncommon at
                >
                > least (rare is certainly appropriate).
                >
                > So my question for you MARCHins is, how many of yuz have one?
                >
                > --
                >
                > Sellam Ismail Vintage Computer
                > Festival

                > International Man of Intrigue and Danger
                > http://www.vintage.org
                >
                > [ Old computing resources for business || Buy/Sell/Trade Vintage
                > Computers ]
                > [ and academia at www.VintageTech.com || at
                > http://marketplace.vintage.org ]

                Be a better friend, newshound, and
              • Bob Grieb
                Message 7 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
                  Evan,

                  Ithaca, NY is not exactly Mid-Atlantic.
                  It's pretty much in the middle of nowhere.

                  Bob Grieb

                  Message 8 of 8 , Mar 4, 2008
                    Sellam,

                    Geez I wish you had said something. I had three of those under the back porch along with a DPS-0, but the tarp leaked and they melted into PCjr's. ;-)

                    Jim

                    So I finally got an Ithaca Intersystems DPS-1, something I've been after
                    for quite some time.

                    Some guy in NY came across my VCF want listing
                    (http://www.vintage.org/donate.php#stuff) and contacted me.  He was so
                    nice he even paid for the shipping costs.

                    The DPS-1 is a nice machine as far as S-100 systems with the full front
                    panel go.  I'm guessing by the number of people I know to have one (1 or
                    2) and how long it took me to find one (say 9 years, with only one
                    spotting on eBay that I can remember) I'd say it's pretty uncommon at
                    least (rare is certainly appropriate).

                    So my question for you MARCHins is, how many of yuz have one?

                    --

                    Sellam Ismail                                        Vintage Computer Festival

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)