Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: value of items at datalink

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
      I hope they're not expecting everyone to spend $500... I'm there to look for specific items for myself and
      a few others, not to blow a lot of money.

      As someone else stated, they were willing to sell stuff on eBay for $1 with hefty S&H costs.  Since we're
      doing the S&H for them on the items we buy, I'd expect a decent price.  I'm hoping the people there don't
      have to do anything other than point to where they think stuff is, ie, I'm hoping they don't have to do any
      physical work.

      So is everyone going to bail out?  I still plan on going, but not if everyone else nixes the day.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
        Bob,

        I was planning to join you if I am around,
        but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
        to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

        Bob

        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
          Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :

          > Bob,
          >
          > I was planning to join you if I am around,
          > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
          > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

          I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
          there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
          might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.

          Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
          $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

          Bob

          ___________________________________
          NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
        • Brian Cirulnick
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Applegate <bob@...>
            wrote:

            > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
            >
            > > Bob,
            > >
            > > I was planning to join you if I am around,
            > > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
            > > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
            >
            > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
            > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
            > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
            >
            > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
            > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

            --------------------

            I guess the next question to ask is how many of us are going, as it
            seems as if the guys at the warehouse are hoping to make at least
            $2000 for showing up on a Saturday.

            Somehow I think that 5 people hoping to spend about $100 each is not
            going to equal $2000.

            But since we're talking about older machines, here's a system that I
            *would* be willing to pay good money for:

            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbrain

            I used to own one of these (still have the floppies for it), but
            alas, when I moved out of Queens 15 or 16 years ago I was forced to
            dump it. Now I miss it.

            So, if anyone spots one, let me know!

            TTYL
            Brian C.
          • Brian Cirulnick
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
              <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

              > Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
              > are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
              > Ebay.
              >
              > http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-
              CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZ
              WD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

              ----------------

              Chris,
              Let's not forget that TCF might be good this year because eBay has
              essentially killed itself.

              A long time ago, TCF was a great source of good junk because eBay
              didn't exist. Then eBay decimated the flea market at TCF because
              everyone kept their good stuff for eBay sales and sold garbage at TCF.

              Now the situation is reversed because between eBay's fees and the
              astronomical cost of shipping computers, selling an old computer on
              eBay is not economically feasible anymore. Nobody wants to pay $100
              in shiping for a machine worth at most $50.

              So now it's very likely that people will be selling decent stuff at
              TCF again, assuming that TCF isn't charging enormous fees for a flea
              market spot (if you can't make back your money for the spot, no sense
              in going, right?).

              So there's a good possibility of finding what you want at TCF this
              year, and, at a price that's not sky-high. But, that also may be just
              me being too optimistic. ;-)

              TTYL
              Brian C.
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
                >
                >> Bob,
                >>
                >> I was planning to join you if I am around,
                >> but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                >> to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
                >
                > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
                >
                > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                Bob,
                Being that Jim mentioned cash specifically that's the only method of
                payment I know for sure, but I assume they'd take credit card as well.
                They're a business, I would assume any money is good. Cash will could get
                you a better price?