Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: value of items at datalink

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
      Er.. Is that what they are expecting?

      I thought that we were taking them off their hands
      before they went to scrap.

      Can we find out?

      Not to sound whiny.

      For one thing, I don't have $500.00

      Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
      are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
      Ebay.

      http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

      Yea, if they are expecting $500/person.. Not much
      reason to go.

      > I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized
      > computers, and don't
      > have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500
      > in scrap value,
      > even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression
      > is that the
      > owner's representatives expect each participant to
      > make a purchase of
      > that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going
      > to the DataLink
      > event, even to just look. That's contrary to my
      > based on this information.
      >
      > I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up
      > this situation.
      > Thanks to them.
      >
      > Herb Johnson
      > retrotechnology.com

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
    • Bob Applegate
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
        I hope they're not expecting everyone to spend $500... I'm there to look for specific items for myself and
        a few others, not to blow a lot of money.

        As someone else stated, they were willing to sell stuff on eBay for $1 with hefty S&H costs.  Since we're
        doing the S&H for them on the items we buy, I'd expect a decent price.  I'm hoping the people there don't
        have to do anything other than point to where they think stuff is, ie, I'm hoping they don't have to do any
        physical work.

        So is everyone going to bail out?  I still plan on going, but not if everyone else nixes the day.

        Bob

        I thought that we were taking them off their hands
        before they went to scrap.

        Can we find out?

        Not to sound whiny.

        For one thing, I don't have $500.00

        Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
        are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
        Ebay.

        http://cgi.ebay. com/Silicon- Graphics- SGI-Iris- Indigo-CMNB003- XS24-CHEAP_ W0QQitemZ3001647 65916QQihZ020QQc ategoryZ11223QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZ WD1VQQ_trksidZp1 638.m118. l1247QQcmdZViewI tem

        Yea, if they are expecting $500/person. . Not much
        reason to go.

        > I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized
        > computers, and don't
        > have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500
        > in scrap value,
        > even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression
        > is that the
        > owner's representatives expect each participant to
        > make a purchase of
        > that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going
        > to the DataLink
        > event, even to just look. That's contrary to my
        > based on this information.
        >
        > I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up
        > this situation.
        > Thanks to them.
        >
        > Herb Johnson
        > retrotechnology. com

        Looking for last minute shopping deals?

      • Bob Grieb
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
          Bob,

          I was planning to join you if I am around,
          but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
          to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

          Bob

          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
            Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :

            > Bob,
            >
            > I was planning to join you if I am around,
            > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
            > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

            I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
            there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
            might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.

            Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
            $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

            Bob

            ___________________________________
            NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
          • Brian Cirulnick
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
              --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Applegate <bob@...>
              wrote:

              > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
              >
              > > Bob,
              > >
              > > I was planning to join you if I am around,
              > > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
              > > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
              >
              > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
              > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
              > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
              >
              > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
              > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

              --------------------

              I guess the next question to ask is how many of us are going, as it
              seems as if the guys at the warehouse are hoping to make at least
              $2000 for showing up on a Saturday.

              Somehow I think that 5 people hoping to spend about $100 each is not
              going to equal $2000.

              But since we're talking about older machines, here's a system that I
              *would* be willing to pay good money for:

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbrain

              I used to own one of these (still have the floppies for it), but
              alas, when I moved out of Queens 15 or 16 years ago I was forced to
              dump it. Now I miss it.

              So, if anyone spots one, let me know!

              TTYL
              Brian C.
            • Brian Cirulnick
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                > Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
                > are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
                > Ebay.
                >
                > http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-
                CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZ
                WD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

                ----------------

                Chris,
                Let's not forget that TCF might be good this year because eBay has
                essentially killed itself.

                A long time ago, TCF was a great source of good junk because eBay
                didn't exist. Then eBay decimated the flea market at TCF because
                everyone kept their good stuff for eBay sales and sold garbage at TCF.

                Now the situation is reversed because between eBay's fees and the
                astronomical cost of shipping computers, selling an old computer on
                eBay is not economically feasible anymore. Nobody wants to pay $100
                in shiping for a machine worth at most $50.

                So now it's very likely that people will be selling decent stuff at
                TCF again, assuming that TCF isn't charging enormous fees for a flea
                market spot (if you can't make back your money for the spot, no sense
                in going, right?).

                So there's a good possibility of finding what you want at TCF this
                year, and, at a price that's not sky-high. But, that also may be just
                me being too optimistic. ;-)

                TTYL
                Brian C.
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                  > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
                  >
                  >> Bob,
                  >>
                  >> I was planning to join you if I am around,
                  >> but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                  >> to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
                  >
                  > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                  > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                  > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
                  >
                  > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                  > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                  Bob,
                  Being that Jim mentioned cash specifically that's the only method of
                  payment I know for sure, but I assume they'd take credit card as well.
                  They're a business, I would assume any money is good. Cash will could get
                  you a better price?