Re: value of items at datalink

  • Herb Johnson
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
      "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > we're talking about entire racks of SUN servers and associated I/O
      units,
      > or an RS 6000 rack with servers/storage weighing enough to equal $500
      > *perhaps* in scap weight. Work your way down from there. This is a a
      > by-the-pound sale, price = scrap value.
      > Bill

      I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized computers, and don't
      have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500 in scrap value,
      even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression is that the
      owner's representatives expect each participant to make a purchase of
      that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going to the DataLink
      event, even to just look. That's contrary to my previous post, but
      based on this information.

      I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up this situation.
      Thanks to them.

      Herb Johnson
      retrotechnology.com
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
        Besides the Restoration Committee activities the weekend of the 29/30,
        what else is going on with MARCH at Infoage? Evan had also mentioned the
        possibility of staying overnight in the cottages - anything more on this?
        It would be a stronger incentive for me to drive in from Central PA if I
        had a place like this to stay. :-)

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
          Er.. Is that what they are expecting?

          I thought that we were taking them off their hands
          before they went to scrap.

          Can we find out?

          Not to sound whiny.

          For one thing, I don't have $500.00

          Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
          are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
          Ebay.

          http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

          Yea, if they are expecting $500/person.. Not much
          reason to go.

          > I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized
          > computers, and don't
          > have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500
          > in scrap value,
          > even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression
          > is that the
          > owner's representatives expect each participant to
          > make a purchase of
          > that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going
          > to the DataLink
          > event, even to just look. That's contrary to my
          > based on this information.
          >
          > I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up
          > this situation.
          > Thanks to them.
          >
          > Herb Johnson
          > retrotechnology.com

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
        • Bob Applegate
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
            I hope they're not expecting everyone to spend $500... I'm there to look for specific items for myself and
            a few others, not to blow a lot of money.

            As someone else stated, they were willing to sell stuff on eBay for $1 with hefty S&H costs.  Since we're
            doing the S&H for them on the items we buy, I'd expect a decent price.  I'm hoping the people there don't
            have to do anything other than point to where they think stuff is, ie, I'm hoping they don't have to do any
            physical work.

            So is everyone going to bail out?  I still plan on going, but not if everyone else nixes the day.

            Bob

            I thought that we were taking them off their hands
            before they went to scrap.

            Can we find out?

            Not to sound whiny.

            For one thing, I don't have $500.00

            Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
            are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
            Ebay.

            http://cgi.ebay. com/Silicon- Graphics- SGI-Iris- Indigo-CMNB003- XS24-CHEAP_ W0QQitemZ3001647 65916QQihZ020QQc ategoryZ11223QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZ WD1VQQ_trksidZp1 638.m118. l1247QQcmdZViewI tem

            Yea, if they are expecting $500/person. . Not much
            reason to go.

            > I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized
            > computers, and don't
            > have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500
            > in scrap value,
            > even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression
            > is that the
            > owner's representatives expect each participant to
            > make a purchase of
            > that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going
            > to the DataLink
            > event, even to just look. That's contrary to my
            > based on this information.
            >
            > I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up
            > this situation.
            > Thanks to them.
            >
            > Herb Johnson
            > retrotechnology. com

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?

          • Bob Grieb
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
              Bob,

              I was planning to join you if I am around,
              but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
              to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

              Bob

              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :

                > Bob,
                >
                > I was planning to join you if I am around,
                > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

                I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.

                Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                Bob

                ___________________________________
                NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
              • Brian Cirulnick
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Applegate <bob@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
                  >
                  > > Bob,
                  > >
                  > > I was planning to join you if I am around,
                  > > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                  > > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
                  >
                  > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                  > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                  > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
                  >
                  > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                  > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                  --------------------

                  I guess the next question to ask is how many of us are going, as it
                  seems as if the guys at the warehouse are hoping to make at least
                  $2000 for showing up on a Saturday.

                  Somehow I think that 5 people hoping to spend about $100 each is not
                  going to equal $2000.

                  But since we're talking about older machines, here's a system that I
                  *would* be willing to pay good money for:

                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbrain

                  I used to own one of these (still have the floppies for it), but
                  alas, when I moved out of Queens 15 or 16 years ago I was forced to
                  dump it. Now I miss it.

                  So, if anyone spots one, let me know!

                  TTYL
                  Brian C.
                • Brian Cirulnick
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                    <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                    > Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
                    > are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
                    > Ebay.
                    >
                    > http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-
                    CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZ
                    WD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

                    ----------------

                    Chris,
                    Let's not forget that TCF might be good this year because eBay has
                    essentially killed itself.

                    A long time ago, TCF was a great source of good junk because eBay
                    didn't exist. Then eBay decimated the flea market at TCF because
                    everyone kept their good stuff for eBay sales and sold garbage at TCF.

                    Now the situation is reversed because between eBay's fees and the
                    astronomical cost of shipping computers, selling an old computer on
                    eBay is not economically feasible anymore. Nobody wants to pay $100
                    in shiping for a machine worth at most $50.

                    So now it's very likely that people will be selling decent stuff at
                    TCF again, assuming that TCF isn't charging enormous fees for a flea
                    market spot (if you can't make back your money for the spot, no sense
                    in going, right?).

                    So there's a good possibility of finding what you want at TCF this
                    year, and, at a price that's not sky-high. But, that also may be just
                    me being too optimistic. ;-)

                    TTYL
                    Brian C.
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                      > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
                      >
                      >> Bob,
                      >>
                      >> I was planning to join you if I am around,
                      >> but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                      >> to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
                      >
                      > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                      > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                      > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
                      >
                      > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                      > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                      Bob,
                      Being that Jim mentioned cash specifically that's the only method of
                      payment I know for sure, but I assume they'd take credit card as well.
                      They're a business, I would assume any money is good. Cash will could get
                      you a better price?