Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Summary so far of requests from those whocannot make the DataLink Trip March 8th

  • Bob Applegate
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
      I'd like to get there around 10 and probably be done in time to have lunch back home with my family.

      Do we know what sort of payment methods are acceptable?  Businesses can go either way; either
      cash so the stuff just disappears or they might want to issue receipts which means they might be
      willing to take plastic.

      I agree that $500 seems pretty steep for anything we're going to be able to haul away with cars and
      vans.

      I'll bring a handtruck.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
        "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > we're talking about entire racks of SUN servers and associated I/O
        units,
        > or an RS 6000 rack with servers/storage weighing enough to equal $500
        > *perhaps* in scap weight. Work your way down from there. This is a a
        > by-the-pound sale, price = scrap value.
        > Bill

        I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized computers, and don't
        have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500 in scrap value,
        even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression is that the
        owner's representatives expect each participant to make a purchase of
        that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going to the DataLink
        event, even to just look. That's contrary to my previous post, but
        based on this information.

        I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up this situation.
        Thanks to them.

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com
      • Mike Loewen
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
          Besides the Restoration Committee activities the weekend of the 29/30,
          what else is going on with MARCH at Infoage? Evan had also mentioned the
          possibility of staying overnight in the cottages - anything more on this?
          It would be a stronger incentive for me to drive in from Central PA if I
          had a place like this to stay. :-)

          Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        • Christian Liendo
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
            Er.. Is that what they are expecting?

            I thought that we were taking them off their hands
            before they went to scrap.

            Can we find out?

            Not to sound whiny.

            For one thing, I don't have $500.00

            Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
            are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
            Ebay.

            http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

            Yea, if they are expecting $500/person.. Not much
            reason to go.

            > I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized
            > computers, and don't
            > have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500
            > in scrap value,
            > even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression
            > is that the
            > owner's representatives expect each participant to
            > make a purchase of
            > that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going
            > to the DataLink
            > event, even to just look. That's contrary to my
            > based on this information.
            >
            > I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up
            > this situation.
            > Thanks to them.
            >
            > Herb Johnson
            > retrotechnology.com

            Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          • Bob Applegate
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
              I hope they're not expecting everyone to spend $500... I'm there to look for specific items for myself and
              a few others, not to blow a lot of money.

              As someone else stated, they were willing to sell stuff on eBay for $1 with hefty S&H costs.  Since we're
              doing the S&H for them on the items we buy, I'd expect a decent price.  I'm hoping the people there don't
              have to do anything other than point to where they think stuff is, ie, I'm hoping they don't have to do any
              physical work.

              So is everyone going to bail out?  I still plan on going, but not if everyone else nixes the day.

              Bob

              I thought that we were taking them off their hands
              before they went to scrap.

              Can we find out?

              Not to sound whiny.

              For one thing, I don't have $500.00

              Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
              are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
              Ebay.

              http://cgi.ebay. com/Silicon- Graphics- SGI-Iris- Indigo-CMNB003- XS24-CHEAP_ W0QQitemZ3001647 65916QQihZ020QQc ategoryZ11223QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZ WD1VQQ_trksidZp1 638.m118. l1247QQcmdZViewI tem

              Yea, if they are expecting $500/person. . Not much
              reason to go.

              > I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized
              > computers, and don't
              > have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500
              > in scrap value,
              > even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression
              > is that the
              > owner's representatives expect each participant to
              > make a purchase of
              > that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going
              > to the DataLink
              > event, even to just look. That's contrary to my
              > based on this information.
              >
              > I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up
              > this situation.
              > Thanks to them.
              >
              > Herb Johnson
              > retrotechnology. com

              Looking for last minute shopping deals?

            • Bob Grieb
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                Bob,

                I was planning to join you if I am around,
                but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

                Bob

                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                  Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :

                  > Bob,
                  >
                  > I was planning to join you if I am around,
                  > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                  > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

                  I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                  there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                  might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.

                  Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                  $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                  Bob

                  ___________________________________
                  NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                • Brian Cirulnick
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Applegate <bob@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
                    >
                    > > Bob,
                    > >
                    > > I was planning to join you if I am around,
                    > > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                    > > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
                    >
                    > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                    > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                    > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
                    >
                    > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                    > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                    --------------------

                    I guess the next question to ask is how many of us are going, as it
                    seems as if the guys at the warehouse are hoping to make at least
                    $2000 for showing up on a Saturday.

                    Somehow I think that 5 people hoping to spend about $100 each is not
                    going to equal $2000.

                    But since we're talking about older machines, here's a system that I
                    *would* be willing to pay good money for:

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbrain

                    I used to own one of these (still have the floppies for it), but
                    alas, when I moved out of Queens 15 or 16 years ago I was forced to
                    dump it. Now I miss it.

                    So, if anyone spots one, let me know!

                    TTYL
                    Brian C.
                  • Brian Cirulnick
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                      <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                      > Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
                      > are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
                      > Ebay.
                      >
                      > http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-
                      CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZ
                      WD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

                      ----------------

                      Chris,
                      Let's not forget that TCF might be good this year because eBay has
                      essentially killed itself.

                      A long time ago, TCF was a great source of good junk because eBay
                      didn't exist. Then eBay decimated the flea market at TCF because
                      everyone kept their good stuff for eBay sales and sold garbage at TCF.

                      Now the situation is reversed because between eBay's fees and the
                      astronomical cost of shipping computers, selling an old computer on
                      eBay is not economically feasible anymore. Nobody wants to pay $100
                      in shiping for a machine worth at most $50.

                      So now it's very likely that people will be selling decent stuff at
                      TCF again, assuming that TCF isn't charging enormous fees for a flea
                      market spot (if you can't make back your money for the spot, no sense
                      in going, right?).

                      So there's a good possibility of finding what you want at TCF this
                      year, and, at a price that's not sky-high. But, that also may be just
                      me being too optimistic. ;-)

                      TTYL
                      Brian C.
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                        > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
                        >
                        >> Bob,
                        >>
                        >> I was planning to join you if I am around,
                        >> but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                        >> to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
                        >
                        > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                        > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                        > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
                        >
                        > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                        > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                        Bob,
                        Being that Jim mentioned cash specifically that's the only method of
                        payment I know for sure, but I assume they'd take credit card as well.
                        They're a business, I would assume any money is good. Cash will could get
                        you a better price?