Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

any Atari ST afficionados on the list???

Expand Messages
  • Chris M
    I have yet to hear any discussion about these units. Thought it was time to bring it up... __________________________________________________ Do You Yahoo!?
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 21, 2005
      I have yet to hear any discussion about these units.
      Thought it was time to bring it up...

      __________________________________________________
      Do You Yahoo!?
      Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • billdeg@aol.com
      I would not call myself an afficionado, but I do have a handful of Atari systems and tons (hundreds of program disks) of Atari software and a good pile Atari
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 21, 2005
        I would not call myself an afficionado, but I do have a handful of Atari systems and tons (hundreds of program disks) of Atari software and a good pile Atari magazines.  My favorite  from my collection is an Atari 400 with a nice complement of game carts including Miner 2049'er.   This was a classic game and is best played on the Atari.
         
        If you compare the VIC 20, TI/994a and Atari 400 all running a copy of Miner 2049'er you can see why Atari was so popular in 1980. It also makes a person wonder why anyone bought a TI 99.  The key to the Atari was the software.
         
        That's my 10 cent comment.
         
        Question - does anyone have the "Computer" cart for the Atari 2600?  Wanna trade for it?
         
        bd
         
         
      • Bryan Pope
        ... But strangely enough you left out C64 ! ;) Cause ya know it wipes the floor with yer Atari 400... ;) ;) ;) Ducking and looking for cover, Bryan
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 21, 2005
          billdeg@... wrote:
          > >
          > If you compare the VIC 20, TI/994a and Atari 400 all running a copy of
          > Miner 2049'er you can see why Atari was so popular in 1980. It also
          > makes a person wonder why anyone bought a TI 99. The key to the Atari
          > was the software.
          >
          >

          But strangely enough you left out "C64"! ;) 'Cause ya know it wipes the
          floor with yer Atari 400... ;) ;) ;)

          Ducking and looking for cover,

          Bryan
        • Evan
          Woohoo! Holy wars! _____ From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bryan Pope Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 21, 2005
            Woohoo!  Holy wars!


            From: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com [mailto:midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Bryan Pope
            Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2005 2:02 PM
            To: midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com
            Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] any Atari ST afficionados on the list???

            billdeg@... wrote:
            > > 
            > If you compare
            the VIC 20, TI/994a and Atari 400 all running a copy of
            > Miner 2049'er
            you can see why Atari was so popular in 1980. It also
            > makes a person
            wonder why anyone bought a TI 99.  The key to the Atari
            > was the
            software.

            >

            But strangely enough you left out "C64"! ;) 'Cause ya know it wipes the
            floor with yer Atari 400... ;) ;) ;)

            Ducking and looking for cover,

            Bryan
          • billdeg@aol.com
            true, but in 79-81 there was no c64 yet. In a message dated 6/21/2005 4:52:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 21, 2005
              true, but in 79-81 there was no c64 yet.

              In a message dated 6/21/2005 4:52:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
              bryan.pope@... writes:

              > But strangely enough you left out "C64"! ;) 'Cause ya know it wipes the
              > floor with yer Atari 400... ;) ;) ;)
              >
              > Ducking and looking for cover,
              >
              > Bryan
            • relayer
              ... Because the Atarisoft version of TI-99 games were much better than the other models versions. More attention to detail of the graphics present in the
              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 23, 2005
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bryan Pope <bryan.pope@c...>
                wrote:
                > > Miner 2049'er you can see why Atari was so popular in 1980. It also
                > > makes a person wonder why anyone bought a TI 99. The key to the

                Because the "Atarisoft" version of TI-99 games were much better than
                the other models' versions. More attention to detail of the graphics
                present in the original arcade versions.

                Besides, (beep) I don't (beep) have to hear a (BEEP) everytime I
                (beep) type on a TI-99 (beep).
              • billdeg@aol.com
                I would like to qualify my statement about the TI 99 relative to the VIC 20 and Atari 400. I don t want to give the impression that I don t like the TI. It s
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 23, 2005
                  I would like to qualify my statement about the TI 99 relative to the VIC 20
                  and Atari 400. I don't want to give the impression that I don't like the TI.
                  It's all relative. The TI- 99 4/a was the first computer I used outside of
                  school (I was about 12) and the first computer I programmed in BASIC. I spent a
                  lot of time playing Parsec and Star Trek. With the peripheral expansion box
                  the TI could be very useful. I believe that the Atari was superior for games,
                  but I would rather have had the TI for business applications if that was my
                  thing.

                  In a message dated 6/23/2005 1:02:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  relayer@... writes:

                  > > > Miner 2049'er you can see why Atari was so popular in 1980. It also
                  > > > makes a person wonder why anyone bought a TI 99. The key to the
                  >
                  > Because the "Atarisoft" version of TI-99 games were much better than
                  > the other models' versions. More attention to detail of the graphics
                  > present in the original arcade versions.
                  >
                  > Besides, (beep) I don't (beep) have to hear a (BEEP) everytime I
                  > (beep) type on a TI-99 (beep).
                • Chris M
                  It s plain you all have been successful in hijacking this thread from me. If all the banter doesn t stop, I m going to have to seperate you s. And if that
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 24, 2005
                    It's plain you all have been successful in hijacking this thread from me. If all the banter doesn't stop, I'm going to have to seperate you's. And if that doesn't work, I'm taking out the wooden spoon!

                    billdeg@... wrote:
                    I would like to qualify my statement about the TI 99 relative to the VIC 20
                    and Atari 400.  I don't want to give the impression that I don't like the TI. 
                    It's all relative.  The TI- 99 4/a was the first computer I used outside of
                    school (I was about 12) and the first computer I programmed in BASIC.  I spent a
                    lot of time playing Parsec and Star Trek.  With the peripheral expansion box
                    the TI could be very useful.  I believe that the Atari was superior for games,
                    but I would rather have had the TI for business applications if that was my
                    thing.

                    In a message dated 6/23/2005 1:02:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    relayer@... writes:

                    > > > Miner 2049'er you can see why Atari was so popular in 1980. It also
                    >  > > makes a person wonder why anyone bought a TI 99.  The key to the

                    >  Because the "Atarisoft" version of TI-99 games were much better than
                    >  the other models' versions. More attention to detail of the graphics
                    >  present in the original arcade versions.

                    >  Besides, (beep) I don't (beep) have to hear a (BEEP) everytime I
                    >  (beep) type on a TI-99 (beep).


                    Yahoo! Sports
                    Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football
                  • relayer
                    But HE started it!!!!! :) ... from me. If all the banter doesn t stop, I m going to have to seperate you s. And if that doesn t work, I m taking out the
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 24, 2005
                      But HE started it!!!!! :)

                      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Chris M <chrism3667@y...> wrote:
                      > It's plain you all have been successful in hijacking this thread
                      from me. If all the banter doesn't stop, I'm going to have to seperate
                      you's. And if that doesn't work, I'm taking out the wooden spoon!
                      >
                    • Bob Applegate
                      The Atari 400 had a very annoying keyboard; I don t understand how anyone could use it for serious typing. The 800 had the same internal architecture but had
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 24, 2005
                        The Atari 400 had a very annoying keyboard; I don't understand how anyone could
                        use it for serious typing.  The 800 had the same internal architecture but had a
                        very nice keyboard, so most people who got started with a 400 and did any amount
                        of typing quickly upgraded to an 800.  BTW, it didn't beep, but it did click... you
                        can turn that off.
                         
                        I can't compare to a TI, but the 800 was a pretty nifty machine for business use.  In
                        81 I was working in a computer store, my specialty being the Ataris.  A number of
                        potential customers were impressed when the IBM PC came out, so I'd show them
                        Visicalc in color on the Ataris.  Most agreed having negative things in red was very
                        intuitive, but some just didn't get it.  One guy's comment always stuck in my head:
                         
                           "If it's in color, then it's a game.  There's no reason a serious business user would
                           want color."
                         
                        I often wonder how many PowerPoint presentations that guy gave that were all
                        grayscale!
                         
                        Bob
                        ----- Original Message -----
                        Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 11:51 PM
                        Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: any Atari ST afficionados on the list???

                        I would like to qualify my statement about the TI 99 relative to the VIC 20
                        and Atari 400.  I don't want to give the impression that I don't like the TI. 
                        It's all relative.  The TI- 99 4/a was the first computer I used outside of
                        school (I was about 12) and the first computer I programmed in BASIC.  I spent a
                        lot of time playing Parsec and Star Trek.  With the peripheral expansion box
                        the TI could be very useful.  I believe that the Atari was superior for games,
                        but I would rather have had the TI for business applications if that was my
                        thing.

                        In a message dated 6/23/2005 1:02:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                        relayer@... writes:

                        > > > Miner 2049'er you can see why Atari was so popular in 1980. It also
                        >  > > makes a person wonder why anyone bought a TI 99.  The key to the

                        >  Because the "Atarisoft" version of TI-99 games were much better than
                        >  the other models' versions. More attention to detail of the graphics
                        >  present in the original arcade versions.

                        >  Besides, (beep) I don't (beep) have to hear a (BEEP) everytime I
                        >  (beep) type on a TI-99 (beep).
                      • Chris M
                        How about piecharts in anything but color. The T2K did the most exquisite color piecharts in it s day...muahhhh. Yeah, the 400 had that annoying membrane
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 24, 2005
                          How about piecharts in anything but color. The T2K did the most exquisite color piecharts in it's day...muahhhh. Yeah, the 400 had that annoying membrane keyboard. The first puter I ever worked on in 9th grade BASIC class. A ball peen hammer came in handy during that semester. Not that the teletype terminals they moved us to for FORTRAN and COBOL were necessarily an upgrade though.
                           Speaking of exquisite color graphics (now here I go hijacking my own thread), anyone into vintage workstation type puters? Stuff like Apollos and really groovy Tektronix stuff? I don't know a whole lot about that type of thing, just that I don't see alot of it :(

                          Bob Applegate <bob@...> wrote:
                          The Atari 400 had a very annoying keyboard; I don't understand how anyone could
                          use it for serious typing.  The 800 had the same internal architecture but had a
                          very nice keyboard, so most people who got started with a 400 and did any amount
                          of typing quickly upgraded to an 800.  BTW, it didn't beep, but it did click... you
                          can turn that off.
                           
                          I can't compare to a TI, but the 800 was a pretty nifty machine for business use.  In
                          81 I was working in a computer store, my specialty being the Ataris.  A number of
                          potential customers were impressed when the IBM PC came out, so I'd show them
                          Visicalc in color on the Ataris.  Most agreed having negative things in red was very
                          intuitive, but some just didn't get it.  One guy's comment always stuck in my head:
                           
                             "If it's in color, then it's a game.  There's no reason a serious business user would
                             want color."
                           
                          I often wonder how many PowerPoint presentations that guy gave that were all
                          grayscale!
                           
                          Bob
                          ----- Original Message -----
                          Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2005 11:51 PM
                          Subject: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: any Atari ST afficionados on the list???

                          I would like to qualify my statement about the TI 99 relative to the VIC 20
                          and Atari 400.  I don't want to give the impression that I don't like the TI. 
                          It's all relative.  The TI- 99 4/a was the first computer I used outside of
                          school (I was about 12) and the first computer I programmed in BASIC.  I spent a
                          lot of time playing Parsec and Star Trek.  With the peripheral expansion box
                          the TI could be very useful.  I believe that the Atari was superior for games,
                          but I would rather have had the TI for business applications if that was my
                          thing.

                          In a message dated 6/23/2005 1:02:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                          relayer@... writes:

                          > > > Miner 2049'er you can see why Atari was so popular in 1980. It also
                          >  > > makes a person wonder why anyone bought a TI 99.  The key to the

                          >  Because the "Atarisoft" version of TI-99 games were much better than
                          >  the other models' versions. More attention to detail of the graphics
                          >  present in the original arcade versions.

                          >  Besides, (beep) I don't (beep) have to hear a (BEEP) everytime I
                          >  (beep) type on a TI-99 (beep).


                          Yahoo! Sports
                          Rekindle the Rivalries. Sign up for Fantasy Football

                        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.