RE: [midatlanticretro] Re: Summary so far of requests from those whocannot make the DataLink Trip March 8th

    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
      I don't plan to go, but I'd be happy to host anyone afterward who wants to
      see the museum. Takes me about 45 mins to get from home to the museum so
      just give me a heads-up.

      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
        we're talking about entire racks of SUN servers and associated I/O units,
        or an RS 6000 rack with servers/storage weighing enough to equal $500
        *perhaps* in scap weight. Work your way down from there. This is a a
        by-the-pound sale, price = scrap value.
        Bill

        At 05:27 AM 3/3/2008 +0000, you wrote:
        >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
        ><christian_liendo@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > I was checking out the SGI stuff.
        > >
        > > I used to repair those, and the indigo was on my eye.
        > >
        > > I would love to get my hands on an iris 1000
        >--------------------
        >
        >I'm leaning towards going (what is the schedule for this event?
        >Meeting there at 1pm? 10am? Midnight?), as I'm interested in some of
        >the items, but $500 per "box" seems kind of steep, especially when
        >you consider some of that stuff was going for $5 plus $50 shipping on
        >eBay.
        >
        >I guess the trick is to pick the lightest items.
        >
        >Although it would be curious to see the scrapman justifying $200 for
        >a HP Kayak, which I know for a fact is a standard Pentium II-based
        >computer you can pick up at any garage sale for $10 (there are
        >several here, under my desk at work, currently serving as foot-
        >warmers).
        >
        >I'd like to go. I just need to get my ducks in a row regarding some
        >other people I promised my Saturday to, so in the interests of me
        >being everywhere all the time, what time is the get-together, so I
        >can either have breakfast with my other group, and/or meet back with
        >them later in the afternoon for my Volkswagen welding sessions.
        >
        >Thanks!!!
        >Brian C.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Bob Applegate
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
          I'd like to get there around 10 and probably be done in time to have lunch back home with my family.

          Do we know what sort of payment methods are acceptable?  Businesses can go either way; either
          cash so the stuff just disappears or they might want to issue receipts which means they might be
          willing to take plastic.

          I agree that $500 seems pretty steep for anything we're going to be able to haul away with cars and
          vans.

          I'll bring a handtruck.

          Bob

          ------------ --------

[...]

        • Herb Johnson
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
            "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

            > we're talking about entire racks of SUN servers and associated I/O
            units,
            > or an RS 6000 rack with servers/storage weighing enough to equal $500
            > *perhaps* in scap weight. Work your way down from there. This is a a
            > by-the-pound sale, price = scrap value.
            > Bill

            I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized computers, and don't
            have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500 in scrap value,
            even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression is that the
            owner's representatives expect each participant to make a purchase of
            that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going to the DataLink
            event, even to just look. That's contrary to my previous post, but
            based on this information.

            I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up this situation.
            Thanks to them.

            Herb Johnson
            retrotechnology.com
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
              Besides the Restoration Committee activities the weekend of the 29/30,
              what else is going on with MARCH at Infoage? Evan had also mentioned the
              possibility of staying overnight in the cottages - anything more on this?
              It would be a stronger incentive for me to drive in from Central PA if I
              had a place like this to stay. :-)

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                Er.. Is that what they are expecting?

                I thought that we were taking them off their hands
                before they went to scrap.

                Can we find out?

                Not to sound whiny.

                For one thing, I don't have $500.00

                Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
                are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
                Ebay.

                http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

                Yea, if they are expecting $500/person.. Not much
                reason to go.

                > I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized
                > computers, and don't
                > have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500
                > in scrap value,
                > even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression
                > is that the
                > owner's representatives expect each participant to
                > make a purchase of
                > that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going
                > to the DataLink
                > event, even to just look. That's contrary to my
                > based on this information.
                >
                > I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up
                > this situation.
                > Thanks to them.
                >
                > Herb Johnson
                > retrotechnology.com

                Looking for last minute shopping deals?
              • Bob Applegate
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                  I hope they're not expecting everyone to spend $500... I'm there to look for specific items for myself and
                  a few others, not to blow a lot of money.

                  As someone else stated, they were willing to sell stuff on eBay for $1 with hefty S&H costs.  Since we're
                  doing the S&H for them on the items we buy, I'd expect a decent price.  I'm hoping the people there don't
                  have to do anything other than point to where they think stuff is, ie, I'm hoping they don't have to do any
                  physical work.

                  So is everyone going to bail out?  I still plan on going, but not if everyone else nixes the day.

                  Bob

                  I thought that we were taking them off their hands
                  before they went to scrap.

                  Can we find out?

                  Not to sound whiny.

                  For one thing, I don't have $500.00

                  Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
                  are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
                  Ebay.

                  http://cgi.ebay. com/Silicon- Graphics- SGI-Iris- Indigo-CMNB003- XS24-CHEAP_ W0QQitemZ3001647 65916QQihZ020QQc ategoryZ11223QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZ WD1VQQ_trksidZp1 638.m118. l1247QQcmdZViewI tem

                  Yea, if they are expecting $500/person. . Not much
                  reason to go.

                  > I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized
                  > computers, and don't
                  > have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500
                  > in scrap value,
                  > even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression
                  > is that the
                  > owner's representatives expect each participant to
                  > make a purchase of
                  > that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going
                  > to the DataLink
                  > event, even to just look. That's contrary to my
                  > based on this information.
                  >
                  > I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up
                  > this situation.
                  > Thanks to them.
                  >
                  > Herb Johnson
                  > retrotechnology. com

                  Looking for last minute shopping deals?

                • Bob Grieb
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Bob,

                    I was planning to join you if I am around,
                    but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                    to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

                    Bob

                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                      Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :

                      > Bob,
                      >
                      > I was planning to join you if I am around,
                      > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                      > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

                      I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                      there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                      might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.

                      Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                      $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                      Bob

                      ___________________________________
                      NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                    • Brian Cirulnick
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Applegate <bob@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
                        >
                        > > Bob,
                        > >
                        > > I was planning to join you if I am around,
                        > > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                        > > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
                        >
                        > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                        > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                        > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
                        >
                        > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                        > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                        --------------------

                        I guess the next question to ask is how many of us are going, as it
                        seems as if the guys at the warehouse are hoping to make at least
                        $2000 for showing up on a Saturday.

                        Somehow I think that 5 people hoping to spend about $100 each is not
                        going to equal $2000.

                        But since we're talking about older machines, here's a system that I
                        *would* be willing to pay good money for:

                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbrain

                        I used to own one of these (still have the floppies for it), but
                        alas, when I moved out of Queens 15 or 16 years ago I was forced to
                        dump it. Now I miss it.

                        So, if anyone spots one, let me know!

                        TTYL
                        Brian C.
                      • Brian Cirulnick
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                          <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                          > Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
                          > are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
                          > Ebay.
                          >
                          > http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-
                          CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZ
                          WD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

                          ----------------

                          Chris,
                          Let's not forget that TCF might be good this year because eBay has
                          essentially killed itself.

                          A long time ago, TCF was a great source of good junk because eBay
                          didn't exist. Then eBay decimated the flea market at TCF because
                          everyone kept their good stuff for eBay sales and sold garbage at TCF.

                          Now the situation is reversed because between eBay's fees and the
                          astronomical cost of shipping computers, selling an old computer on
                          eBay is not economically feasible anymore. Nobody wants to pay $100
                          in shiping for a machine worth at most $50.

                          So now it's very likely that people will be selling decent stuff at
                          TCF again, assuming that TCF isn't charging enormous fees for a flea
                          market spot (if you can't make back your money for the spot, no sense
                          in going, right?).

                          So there's a good possibility of finding what you want at TCF this
                          year, and, at a price that's not sky-high. But, that also may be just
                          me being too optimistic. ;-)

                          TTYL
                          Brian C.
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                            > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
                            >
                            >> Bob,
                            >>
                            >> I was planning to join you if I am around,
                            >> but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                            >> to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
                            >
                            > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                            > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                            > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
                            >
                            > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                            > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                            Bob,
                            Being that Jim mentioned cash specifically that's the only method of
                            payment I know for sure, but I assume they'd take credit card as well.
                            They're a business, I would assume any money is good. Cash will could get
                            you a better price?