Re: [midatlanticretro] Yesterday 10 years after newton's death

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 29, 2008
      This is the one I have, I remember buying it because
      it was able to close and protect the pad

      http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=427873

      Be a better friend, newshound, and
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 29, 2008
        Message
        >>> Ergo, much even more rarer

        Nope.  That whole series -- Casio Z-7000 aka Tandy Zoomer aka AST ("Gridpad" if I remember correctly) -- is interesting because it started the modern "Palm" form factor, as well as starting Palm the company (which at the time only made software, after Jeff Hawkins left Grid).  But the devices weren't so great and aren't very rare today.

        A good book on the Zoomer series and how its development led to Palm (although the stories are somewhat biased because it's co-written by a former Palm marketing director) is "Piloting Palm" by Andrea Butter and by the NY Times' David Pogue.
        From:  Christian Liendo <christian_liendo@...>
        Subj:  [midatlanticretro] Yesterday 10 years after newton's death
        Date:  Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:53 pm
        Size:  991 bytes
        To:  midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

        I still have the Sharp one,, I bet thats rare

        http://www.tuaw.com/2008/02/27/the-10th-anniversary-of-the-newtons-death/

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
          Yes, the Zoomer was so slow as to be almost unusable. The processor was an 8088 (maybe 80C88). Some fun memories: someone found a hack that allowed customization beyond what Casio and Tandy had in mind. And some idiot from Zoom modems would come into the CompuServe forum where Zoomer owners hung out and post messages that any reference to "Zoomer" **obviously** really meant a Zoom modem and not some handheld device that was not allowed to use the Zoomer name. Only initial production had the Zoomer name printed on the device.

          I'll still bet that Zoomers today are "even more rarer" than Newtons.

          Jim