Re: [midatlanticretro] Yesterday 10 years after newton's death

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
      I have an OMP (Newton parlance for "original message pad").

      - Evan, waiting for his flight home from Denver airport

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 28, 2008
        Well, I have a genuine, original Tandy Zoomer. I came out about the same time as the OMP and was totally overshadowed (for good reason) by the Newton. Ergo, much even more rarer! [sic]

        Jim

        Date:  Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:53 pm
        Size:  991 bytes
        To:  midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

        I still have the Sharp one,, I bet thats rare

        http://www.tuaw.com/2008/02/27/the-10th-anniversary-of-the-newtons-death/

        <*> Your email settings:
            Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
            (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 29, 2008
          This is the one I have, I remember buying it because
          it was able to close and protect the pad

          http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=427873

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 29, 2008
            Message
            >>> Ergo, much even more rarer

            Nope.  That whole series -- Casio Z-7000 aka Tandy Zoomer aka AST ("Gridpad" if I remember correctly) -- is interesting because it started the modern "Palm" form factor, as well as starting Palm the company (which at the time only made software, after Jeff Hawkins left Grid).  But the devices weren't so great and aren't very rare today.

            A good book on the Zoomer series and how its development led to Palm (although the stories are somewhat biased because it's co-written by a former Palm marketing director) is "Piloting Palm" by Andrea Butter and by the NY Times' David Pogue.

            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 3 9:01 AM
              Yes, the Zoomer was so slow as to be almost unusable. The processor was an 8088 (maybe 80C88). Some fun memories: someone found a hack that allowed customization beyond what Casio and Tandy had in mind. And some idiot from Zoom modems would come into the CompuServe forum where Zoomer owners hung out and post messages that any reference to "Zoomer" **obviously** really meant a Zoom modem and not some handheld device that was not allowed to use the Zoomer name. Only initial production had the Zoomer name printed on the device.

              I'll still bet that Zoomers today are "even more rarer" than Newtons.

              Jim