CBM-Wilmington BBS - In test mode

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 28 12:28 PM
      For those of you with time on your hands, please call my test BBS:

      1200 baud of screaming C-64 / 1541 power.

      CBM-Wilmington BBS
      302 654 4nine15

      The BBS is sharing my inbound fax line, it should work. I will be testing
      myself but it'll be probably tomorrow. Any assistance is appreciated. I
      don't know if it'll work with non-Commodore systems, let me know.

      -Bill
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 28 1:38 PM
        > Guys,
        >
        > I have been e-mailing with a guy who lives in Washington
        > state recently. I asked how he got interested in computers,
        > and he shared this story, which I thought others might enjoy reading:

        <snip>

        > As Olycomp-1 became obsolete other newer 8 and 16-bit
        > systems took its place and I finally left teaching.
        > A few years later, I contacted my former colleagues
        > about snatching back good old Olycomp-1 but they said
        > it was thrown out. Sad.

        Great story, thanks for sharing..
        Bill
      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 28 2:52 PM
          I still have the Sharp one,, I bet thats rare

          http://www.tuaw.com/2008/02/27/the-10th-anniversary-of-the-newtons-death/

          Be a better friend, newshound, and
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 28 4:12 PM
            I have an OMP (Newton parlance for "original message pad").

            - Evan, waiting for his flight home from Denver airport

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 28 7:50 PM
              Well, I have a genuine, original Tandy Zoomer. I came out about the same time as the OMP and was totally overshadowed (for good reason) by the Newton. Ergo, much even more rarer! [sic]

              Jim

              Date:  Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:53 pm
              Size:  991 bytes
              To:  midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

              I still have the Sharp one,, I bet thats rare

              http://www.tuaw.com/2008/02/27/the-10th-anniversary-of-the-newtons-death/

              <*> Your email settings:
                  Individual Email | Traditional

              <*> To change settings online go to:
                  (Yahoo! ID required)

              <*> To change settings via email:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

            • Christian Liendo
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 29 6:56 AM
                This is the one I have, I remember buying it because
                it was able to close and protect the pad

                http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=427873

                Be a better friend, newshound, and
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 29 9:55 PM
                  Message
                  >>> Ergo, much even more rarer

                  Nope.  That whole series -- Casio Z-7000 aka Tandy Zoomer aka AST ("Gridpad" if I remember correctly) -- is interesting because it started the modern "Palm" form factor, as well as starting Palm the company (which at the time only made software, after Jeff Hawkins left Grid).  But the devices weren't so great and aren't very rare today.

                  A good book on the Zoomer series and how its development led to Palm (although the stories are somewhat biased because it's co-written by a former Palm marketing director) is "Piloting Palm" by Andrea Butter and by the NY Times' David Pogue.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 3, 2008
                    Yes, the Zoomer was so slow as to be almost unusable. The processor was an 8088 (maybe 80C88). Some fun memories: someone found a hack that allowed customization beyond what Casio and Tandy had in mind. And some idiot from Zoom modems would come into the CompuServe forum where Zoomer owners hung out and post messages that any reference to "Zoomer" **obviously** really meant a Zoom modem and not some handheld device that was not allowed to use the Zoomer name. Only initial production had the Zoomer name printed on the device.

                    I'll still bet that Zoomers today are "even more rarer" than Newtons.

                    Jim