Re: [midatlanticretro] Summary so far of requests from those whocannot make the DataLink Trip March 8th

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
      If there is an Internet connection, it is likely to be for their computer. If someone brings a wireless router, they might let you plug it in and then many people can look stuff up.

      Jim

      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
        I was checking out the SGI stuff.

        I used to repair those, and the indigo was on my eye.

        I would love to get my hands on an iris 1000

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
      • Bob Applegate
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
          Most companies aren't fond of outsiders coming into their building, rummaging around and then asking to
          plug into their network.  I wouldn't ask to do that.  I'm hoping that if we're professional and courteous, they
          might let us take more for less $$$.

          Perkin-Elmer stuff... Evan told me about the large collection at InfoAge, but I just never have time on weekends
          to head up and take a good look at it.  PE's computer division was in that general area, although I can never
          remember the town name, so it's certainly an NJ computer manufacturer.

          PE was known for lab equipment.  When they bough the computer line from Interdata, they added a lot of
          peripherals to make it connect to lab equipment and do data processing.  They were probably the first
          32 bit mini computer and were big number crunchers.

          Back in the 80s, I worked for a company that did network performance collection on a bunch of Z80 based
          embedded systems (my job) and sent the results to PE machines for crunching, reporting, etc.  We used
          everything from the 3205, 3210, 3220 and eventually I managed the biggest machine: a 3250 MPS with
          6 APUs (arithmetic processing units) and 8 or 9 big disk drives (maybe 300 MB).  We used them to write
          and assembly Z80 assembly language code.  We had a rep from PE in every week, and he installed all
          sorts of experimental software like a C compiler (FORTRAN was their normal language).

          All PE machines ran an interesting OS called OS/32.  The same OS ran on all machines.

          The first time I visited the Very Large Array (big radio telescope system in Socorro, NM), I noticed all their
          computers were PEs.  The data processing people thought they were the greatest machines ever built
          for that application.  I didn't have the heart to tell them I'd spent a year justifying why we should scrap the
          PE in favor of a series of HP HP-UX machines.

          Bob

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/midatlanti cretro/

              http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/midatlanti cretro/join
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              mailto:midatlanticretro- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
              mailto:midatlanticretro- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

              http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

        • Brian Cirulnick
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
            <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

            > I was checking out the SGI stuff.
            >
            > I used to repair those, and the indigo was on my eye.
            >
            > I would love to get my hands on an iris 1000
            --------------------

            I'm leaning towards going (what is the schedule for this event?
            Meeting there at 1pm? 10am? Midnight?), as I'm interested in some of
            the items, but $500 per "box" seems kind of steep, especially when
            you consider some of that stuff was going for $5 plus $50 shipping on
            eBay.

            I guess the trick is to pick the lightest items.

            Although it would be curious to see the scrapman justifying $200 for
            a HP Kayak, which I know for a fact is a standard Pentium II-based
            computer you can pick up at any garage sale for $10 (there are
            several here, under my desk at work, currently serving as foot-
            warmers).

            I'd like to go. I just need to get my ducks in a row regarding some
            other people I promised my Saturday to, so in the interests of me
            being everywhere all the time, what time is the get-together, so I
            can either have breakfast with my other group, and/or meet back with
            them later in the afternoon for my Volkswagen welding sessions.

            Thanks!!!
            Brian C.
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
              I don't plan to go, but I'd be happy to host anyone afterward who wants to
              see the museum. Takes me about 45 mins to get from home to the museum so
              just give me a heads-up.

              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                we're talking about entire racks of SUN servers and associated I/O units,
                or an RS 6000 rack with servers/storage weighing enough to equal $500
                *perhaps* in scap weight. Work your way down from there. This is a a
                by-the-pound sale, price = scrap value.
                Bill

                At 05:27 AM 3/3/2008 +0000, you wrote:
                >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                ><christian_liendo@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > I was checking out the SGI stuff.
                > >
                > > I used to repair those, and the indigo was on my eye.
                > >
                > > I would love to get my hands on an iris 1000
                >--------------------
                >
                >I'm leaning towards going (what is the schedule for this event?
                >Meeting there at 1pm? 10am? Midnight?), as I'm interested in some of
                >the items, but $500 per "box" seems kind of steep, especially when
                >you consider some of that stuff was going for $5 plus $50 shipping on
                >eBay.
                >
                >I guess the trick is to pick the lightest items.
                >
                >Although it would be curious to see the scrapman justifying $200 for
                >a HP Kayak, which I know for a fact is a standard Pentium II-based
                >computer you can pick up at any garage sale for $10 (there are
                >several here, under my desk at work, currently serving as foot-
                >warmers).
                >
                >I'd like to go. I just need to get my ducks in a row regarding some
                >other people I promised my Saturday to, so in the interests of me
                >being everywhere all the time, what time is the get-together, so I
                >can either have breakfast with my other group, and/or meet back with
                >them later in the afternoon for my Volkswagen welding sessions.
                >
                >Thanks!!!
                >Brian C.
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Bob Applegate
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                  I'd like to get there around 10 and probably be done in time to have lunch back home with my family.

                  Do we know what sort of payment methods are acceptable?  Businesses can go either way; either
                  cash so the stuff just disappears or they might want to issue receipts which means they might be
                  willing to take plastic.

                  I agree that $500 seems pretty steep for anything we're going to be able to haul away with cars and
                  vans.

                  I'll bring a handtruck.

                  Bob

                  ------------ --------

[...]

                • Herb Johnson
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                    "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                    > we're talking about entire racks of SUN servers and associated I/O
                    units,
                    > or an RS 6000 rack with servers/storage weighing enough to equal $500
                    > *perhaps* in scap weight. Work your way down from there. This is a a
                    > by-the-pound sale, price = scrap value.
                    > Bill

                    I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized computers, and don't
                    have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500 in scrap value,
                    even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression is that the
                    owner's representatives expect each participant to make a purchase of
                    that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going to the DataLink
                    event, even to just look. That's contrary to my previous post, but
                    based on this information.

                    I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up this situation.
                    Thanks to them.

                    Herb Johnson
                    retrotechnology.com
                  • Mike Loewen
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                      Besides the Restoration Committee activities the weekend of the 29/30,
                      what else is going on with MARCH at Infoage? Evan had also mentioned the
                      possibility of staying overnight in the cottages - anything more on this?
                      It would be a stronger incentive for me to drive in from Central PA if I
                      had a place like this to stay. :-)

                      Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    • Christian Liendo
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                        Er.. Is that what they are expecting?

                        I thought that we were taking them off their hands
                        before they went to scrap.

                        Can we find out?

                        Not to sound whiny.

                        For one thing, I don't have $500.00

                        Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
                        are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
                        Ebay.

                        http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

                        Yea, if they are expecting $500/person.. Not much
                        reason to go.

                        > I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized
                        > computers, and don't
                        > have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500
                        > in scrap value,
                        > even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression
                        > is that the
                        > owner's representatives expect each participant to
                        > make a purchase of
                        > that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going
                        > to the DataLink
                        > event, even to just look. That's contrary to my
                        > based on this information.
                        >
                        > I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up
                        > this situation.
                        > Thanks to them.
                        >
                        > Herb Johnson
                        > retrotechnology.com

                        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                      • Bob Applegate
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                          I hope they're not expecting everyone to spend $500... I'm there to look for specific items for myself and
                          a few others, not to blow a lot of money.

                          As someone else stated, they were willing to sell stuff on eBay for $1 with hefty S&H costs.  Since we're
                          doing the S&H for them on the items we buy, I'd expect a decent price.  I'm hoping the people there don't
                          have to do anything other than point to where they think stuff is, ie, I'm hoping they don't have to do any
                          physical work.

                          So is everyone going to bail out?  I still plan on going, but not if everyone else nixes the day.

                          Bob

                          I thought that we were taking them off their hands
                          before they went to scrap.

                          Can we find out?

                          Not to sound whiny.

                          For one thing, I don't have $500.00

                          Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
                          are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
                          Ebay.

                          http://cgi.ebay. com/Silicon- Graphics- SGI-Iris- Indigo-CMNB003- XS24-CHEAP_ W0QQitemZ3001647 65916QQihZ020QQc ategoryZ11223QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZ WD1VQQ_trksidZp1 638.m118. l1247QQcmdZViewI tem

                          Yea, if they are expecting $500/person. . Not much
                          reason to go.

                          > I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized
                          > computers, and don't
                          > have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500
                          > in scrap value,
                          > even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression
                          > is that the
                          > owner's representatives expect each participant to
                          > make a purchase of
                          > that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going
                          > to the DataLink
                          > event, even to just look. That's contrary to my
                          > based on this information.
                          >
                          > I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up
                          > this situation.
                          > Thanks to them.
                          >
                          > Herb Johnson
                          > retrotechnology. com

                          Looking for last minute shopping deals?

                        • Bob Grieb
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                            Bob,

                            I was planning to join you if I am around,
                            but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                            to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

                            Bob

                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                              Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :

                              > Bob,
                              >
                              > I was planning to join you if I am around,
                              > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                              > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

                              I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                              there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                              might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.

                              Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                              $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                              Bob

                              ___________________________________
                              NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                            • Brian Cirulnick
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Applegate <bob@...>
                                wrote:

                                > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
                                >
                                > > Bob,
                                > >
                                > > I was planning to join you if I am around,
                                > > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                                > > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
                                >
                                > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                                > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                                > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
                                >
                                > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                                > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                                --------------------

                                I guess the next question to ask is how many of us are going, as it
                                seems as if the guys at the warehouse are hoping to make at least
                                $2000 for showing up on a Saturday.

                                Somehow I think that 5 people hoping to spend about $100 each is not
                                going to equal $2000.

                                But since we're talking about older machines, here's a system that I
                                *would* be willing to pay good money for:

                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbrain

                                I used to own one of these (still have the floppies for it), but
                                alas, when I moved out of Queens 15 or 16 years ago I was forced to
                                dump it. Now I miss it.

                                So, if anyone spots one, let me know!

                                TTYL
                                Brian C.
                              • Brian Cirulnick
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                                  <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                                  > Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
                                  > are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
                                  > Ebay.
                                  >
                                  > http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-
                                  CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZ
                                  WD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

                                  ----------------

                                  Chris,
                                  Let's not forget that TCF might be good this year because eBay has
                                  essentially killed itself.

                                  A long time ago, TCF was a great source of good junk because eBay
                                  didn't exist. Then eBay decimated the flea market at TCF because
                                  everyone kept their good stuff for eBay sales and sold garbage at TCF.

                                  Now the situation is reversed because between eBay's fees and the
                                  astronomical cost of shipping computers, selling an old computer on
                                  eBay is not economically feasible anymore. Nobody wants to pay $100
                                  in shiping for a machine worth at most $50.

                                  So now it's very likely that people will be selling decent stuff at
                                  TCF again, assuming that TCF isn't charging enormous fees for a flea
                                  market spot (if you can't make back your money for the spot, no sense
                                  in going, right?).

                                  So there's a good possibility of finding what you want at TCF this
                                  year, and, at a price that's not sky-high. But, that also may be just
                                  me being too optimistic. ;-)

                                  TTYL
                                  Brian C.
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                                    > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
                                    >
                                    >> Bob,
                                    >>
                                    >> I was planning to join you if I am around,
                                    >> but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                                    >> to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
                                    >
                                    > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                                    > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                                    > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
                                    >
                                    > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                                    > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                                    Bob,
                                    Being that Jim mentioned cash specifically that's the only method of
                                    payment I know for sure, but I assume they'd take credit card as well.
                                    They're a business, I would assume any money is good. Cash will could get
                                    you a better price?