Re: [midatlanticretro] Summary so far of requests from those whocannot make the DataLink Trip March 8th

    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 27, 2008
      to that end, hopefully there will be an internet connection on site, so you
      can look things up
      bd

      At 07:13 PM 2/27/2008 -0500, you wrote:
      > > M Loewen is looking for an older SUN workstation
      >
      >It would help if you listed specific model types/model numbers.
      >Neither the warehouse people nor most of the "landing party"
      >will know what is old without some help.
      >I can recognize Suns from 1981-1986 or so but not others,
      >and not down to the actual year. Pick your cut-off for old.
      >
      > > ... how much will they cost?
      >
      >A big bottom-line for this warehouse that I deduced during the phonecall
      >was that a system with no possibility of rental will still go for scrap
      >value -at least-. If your system has no possibility of rental and weighs
      >EG 200 lbs then they will ask $50 minimum. A lighter system will likely
      >be newer than they want to scrap and a price set higher. *
      >
      > > There is a partial spreadsheet in the directory above as well as pictures.
      >
      >That line item that says "DEC verrry old" is of particular interest to me
      >but Jim suggested that it may not be findable.
      >
      > > Is all that stuff going to get thrown away if it doesn't get taken?
      >
      >Jim said to me at least that the warehouse will not be closing soon.
      >
      >John A.
      >
      >(* Aside:
      > acting too competant or too interested can sometimes tend to drive prices
      >up)
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 27, 2008
        On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, John Allain wrote:

        >> M Loewen is looking for an older SUN workstation
        >
        > It would help if you listed specific model types/model numbers.
        > Neither the warehouse people nor most of the "landing party"
        > will know what is old without some help.
        > I can recognize Suns from 1981-1986 or so but not others,
        > and not down to the actual year. Pick your cut-off for old.

        I didn't go into detail, because I was waiting to see if anyone was
        interested in picking up a few for me. According to Bill's inventory
        spreadsheet, the following Sun systems fit my criteria for "interesting"
        in order by priority:

        Sun 3/80
        386i (only if it has the keyboard)
        Sparcstation 10 (especially if multiprocessor)
        Sparcstation 1
        Sparcstation 1+
        Sparcstation 2
        Sparcstation 5
        Sparcstation IPX
        Ultra 1
        Ultra 5
        Ultra 60 (especially if multiprocessor)
        Ultra 80 Elite 3D

        The older systems (Sparc 1, 1+, 2, 5, 10, IPX and 3/80, 386i) are only
        worth about $10 each or less on the open market. Same for the Ultra 1.
        Ultra 5 is maybe worth $40-$50, Ultra 60 maybe $100 and Ultra 80 $100 or
        more depending on the configuration.

        I don't need keyboards, mice or monitors for any of these (except
        386i). Hard drives are nice but not necessary. CPUs and memory are a
        must.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 27, 2008
          >386i (only if it has the keyboard)
          >
          > I don't need keyboards, mice or monitors for any of these (except
          >386i). Hard drives are nice but not necessary. CPUs and memory are a
          >must.

          I used to work withthe 386i when I worked at ICI/Zeneca in the early 90's.

          Bill
        • Sridhar Ayengar
          Message 4 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
            B. Degnan wrote:
            >> 386i (only if it has the keyboard)
            >>
            >> I don't need keyboards, mice or monitors for any of these (except
            >> 386i). Hard drives are nice but not necessary. CPUs and memory are a
            >> must.
            >

            > I used to work withthe 386i when I worked at ICI/Zeneca in the early 90's.

            I have a working one in my collection.

            Peace... Sridhar
          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
              On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, B. Degnan wrote:

              >> 386i (only if it has the keyboard)
              >
              > I used to work withthe 386i when I worked at ICI/Zeneca in the early 90's.

              Starting in 1989, I worked with everything from a Sun 3/60 through all
              the SPARCstations up to the Sparc 10. I was working for a CAD VAR,
              setting up networks and teaching Unix. The 386i was surely the weirdest
              machine that Sun built, with a 386-20 or 386-25 CPU, running SunOS 4.0.2
              (a BSD Unix variant) and a full size SCSI hard drive.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
            • Sridhar Ayengar
              Message 6 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
                Mike Loewen wrote:
                > On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, B. Degnan wrote:
                >
                >>> 386i (only if it has the keyboard)
                >> I used to work withthe 386i when I worked at ICI/Zeneca in the early 90's.
                >
                > Starting in 1989, I worked with everything from a Sun 3/60 through all
                > the SPARCstations up to the Sparc 10. I was working for a CAD VAR,
                > setting up networks and teaching Unix. The 386i was surely the weirdest
                > machine that Sun built, with a 386-20 or 386-25 CPU, running SunOS 4.0.2
                > (a BSD Unix variant) and a full size SCSI hard drive.

                The 486i might have been stranger.

                Peace... Sridhar
                Message 7 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
                  If there is an Internet connection, it is likely to be for their computer. If someone brings a wireless router, they might let you plug it in and then many people can look stuff up.

                  Jim

                  to that end, hopefully there will be an internet connection on site, so you
                  can look things up
                  bd

                  At 07:13 PM 2/27/2008 -0500, you wrote:

                  M Loewen is looking for an older SUN workstation

                  >It
                  would help if you listed specific model types/model numbers.
                  >Neither
                  the warehouse people nor most of the "landing party"
                  >will
                  know what is old without some help.
                  can recognize Suns from 1981-1986 or so but not others,
                  >and
                  not down to the actual year.  Pick your cut-off for old.

                  ... how much will they cost?

                  big bottom-line for this warehouse that I deduced during the phonecall
                  >was
                  that a system with no possibility of rental will still go for scrap
                  >value
                  -at least-.  If your system has no possibility of rental and weighs
                  >EG
                  200 lbs then they will ask $50 minimum.  A lighter system will likely
                  >be
                  newer than they want to scrap and a price set higher. *

                  There is a partial spreadsheet in the directory above as well as pictures.

                  >That
                  line item that says "DEC verrry old" is of particular interest to me
                  >but
                  Jim suggested that it may not be findable.

                  Is all that stuff going to get thrown away if it doesn't get taken?

                  >Jim
                  said to me at least that the warehouse will not be closing soon.

                  >John
                  A.

                  >(*
                  Aside:
                  acting too competant or too interested can sometimes tend to drive prices
                  >up)
                  >

                  >Yahoo!
                  Groups Links

                  <*> Your email settings:
                      Individual Email | Traditional

                  <*> To change settings online go to:
                      (Yahoo! ID required)

                  <*> To change settings via email:

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                • Christian Liendo
                  Message 8 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
                    I was checking out the SGI stuff.

                    I used to repair those, and the indigo was on my eye.

                    I would love to get my hands on an iris 1000

                    Be a better friend, newshound, and
                  • Bob Applegate
                    Message 9 of 23 , Feb 28, 2008
                      Most companies aren't fond of outsiders coming into their building, rummaging around and then asking to
                      plug into their network.  I wouldn't ask to do that.  I'm hoping that if we're professional and courteous, they
                      might let us take more for less $$$.

                      Perkin-Elmer stuff... Evan told me about the large collection at InfoAge, but I just never have time on weekends
                      to head up and take a good look at it.  PE's computer division was in that general area, although I can never
                      remember the town name, so it's certainly an NJ computer manufacturer.

                      PE was known for lab equipment.  When they bough the computer line from Interdata, they added a lot of
                      peripherals to make it connect to lab equipment and do data processing.  They were probably the first
                      32 bit mini computer and were big number crunchers.

                      Back in the 80s, I worked for a company that did network performance collection on a bunch of Z80 based
                      embedded systems (my job) and sent the results to PE machines for crunching, reporting, etc.  We used
                      everything from the 3205, 3210, 3220 and eventually I managed the biggest machine: a 3250 MPS with
                      6 APUs (arithmetic processing units) and 8 or 9 big disk drives (maybe 300 MB).  We used them to write
                      and assembly Z80 assembly language code.  We had a rep from PE in every week, and he installed all
                      sorts of experimental software like a C compiler (FORTRAN was their normal language).

                      All PE machines ran an interesting OS called OS/32.  The same OS ran on all machines.

                      The first time I visited the Very Large Array (big radio telescope system in Socorro, NM), I noticed all their
                      computers were PEs.  The data processing people thought they were the greatest machines ever built
                      for that application.  I didn't have the heart to tell them I'd spent a year justifying why we should scrap the
                      PE in favor of a series of HP HP-UX machines.

                      Bob

                          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/midatlanti cretro/

                          http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/midatlanti cretro/join
                          (Yahoo! ID required)

                      <*> To change settings via email:
                          mailto:midatlanticretro- digest@yahoogrou ps.com
                          mailto:midatlanticretro- fullfeatured@ yahoogroups. com

                          http://docs. yahoo.com/ info/terms/

                    • Brian Cirulnick
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
                        --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                        <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                        > I was checking out the SGI stuff.
                        >
                        > I used to repair those, and the indigo was on my eye.
                        >
                        > I would love to get my hands on an iris 1000
                        --------------------

                        I'm leaning towards going (what is the schedule for this event?
                        Meeting there at 1pm? 10am? Midnight?), as I'm interested in some of
                        the items, but $500 per "box" seems kind of steep, especially when
                        you consider some of that stuff was going for $5 plus $50 shipping on
                        eBay.

                        I guess the trick is to pick the lightest items.

                        Although it would be curious to see the scrapman justifying $200 for
                        a HP Kayak, which I know for a fact is a standard Pentium II-based
                        computer you can pick up at any garage sale for $10 (there are
                        several here, under my desk at work, currently serving as foot-
                        warmers).

                        I'd like to go. I just need to get my ducks in a row regarding some
                        other people I promised my Saturday to, so in the interests of me
                        being everywhere all the time, what time is the get-together, so I
                        can either have breakfast with my other group, and/or meet back with
                        them later in the afternoon for my Volkswagen welding sessions.

                        Thanks!!!
                        Brian C.
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 2, 2008
                          I don't plan to go, but I'd be happy to host anyone afterward who wants to
                          see the museum. Takes me about 45 mins to get from home to the museum so
                          just give me a heads-up.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                            we're talking about entire racks of SUN servers and associated I/O units,
                            or an RS 6000 rack with servers/storage weighing enough to equal $500
                            *perhaps* in scap weight. Work your way down from there. This is a a
                            by-the-pound sale, price = scrap value.
                            Bill

                            At 05:27 AM 3/3/2008 +0000, you wrote:
                            >--- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                            ><christian_liendo@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I was checking out the SGI stuff.
                            > >
                            > > I used to repair those, and the indigo was on my eye.
                            > >
                            > > I would love to get my hands on an iris 1000
                            >--------------------
                            >
                            >I'm leaning towards going (what is the schedule for this event?
                            >Meeting there at 1pm? 10am? Midnight?), as I'm interested in some of
                            >the items, but $500 per "box" seems kind of steep, especially when
                            >you consider some of that stuff was going for $5 plus $50 shipping on
                            >eBay.
                            >
                            >I guess the trick is to pick the lightest items.
                            >
                            >Although it would be curious to see the scrapman justifying $200 for
                            >a HP Kayak, which I know for a fact is a standard Pentium II-based
                            >computer you can pick up at any garage sale for $10 (there are
                            >several here, under my desk at work, currently serving as foot-
                            >warmers).
                            >
                            >I'd like to go. I just need to get my ducks in a row regarding some
                            >other people I promised my Saturday to, so in the interests of me
                            >being everywhere all the time, what time is the get-together, so I
                            >can either have breakfast with my other group, and/or meet back with
                            >them later in the afternoon for my Volkswagen welding sessions.
                            >
                            >Thanks!!!
                            >Brian C.
                            >

                            >Yahoo! Groups Links

                          • Bob Applegate
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                              I'd like to get there around 10 and probably be done in time to have lunch back home with my family.

                              Do we know what sort of payment methods are acceptable?  Businesses can go either way; either
                              cash so the stuff just disappears or they might want to issue receipts which means they might be
                              willing to take plastic.

                              I agree that $500 seems pretty steep for anything we're going to be able to haul away with cars and
                              vans.

                              I'll bring a handtruck.

                              Bob

                              ------------ --------

[...]

                            • Herb Johnson
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                                "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                > we're talking about entire racks of SUN servers and associated I/O
                                units,
                                > or an RS 6000 rack with servers/storage weighing enough to equal $500
                                > *perhaps* in scap weight. Work your way down from there. This is a a
                                > by-the-pound sale, price = scrap value.
                                > Bill

                                I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized computers, and don't
                                have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500 in scrap value,
                                even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression is that the
                                owner's representatives expect each participant to make a purchase of
                                that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going to the DataLink
                                event, even to just look. That's contrary to my previous post, but
                                based on this information.

                                I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up this situation.
                                Thanks to them.

                                Herb Johnson
                                retrotechnology.com
                              • Mike Loewen
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                                  Besides the Restoration Committee activities the weekend of the 29/30,
                                  what else is going on with MARCH at Infoage? Evan had also mentioned the
                                  possibility of staying overnight in the cottages - anything more on this?
                                  It would be a stronger incentive for me to drive in from Central PA if I
                                  had a place like this to stay. :-)

                                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                                • Christian Liendo
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                                    Er.. Is that what they are expecting?

                                    I thought that we were taking them off their hands
                                    before they went to scrap.

                                    Can we find out?

                                    Not to sound whiny.

                                    For one thing, I don't have $500.00

                                    Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
                                    are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
                                    Ebay.

                                    http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

                                    Yea, if they are expecting $500/person.. Not much
                                    reason to go.

                                    > I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized
                                    > computers, and don't
                                    > have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500
                                    > in scrap value,
                                    > even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression
                                    > is that the
                                    > owner's representatives expect each participant to
                                    > make a purchase of
                                    > that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going
                                    > to the DataLink
                                    > event, even to just look. That's contrary to my
                                    > based on this information.
                                    >
                                    > I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up
                                    > this situation.
                                    > Thanks to them.
                                    >
                                    > Herb Johnson
                                    > retrotechnology.com

                                    Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                                  • Bob Applegate
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                                      I hope they're not expecting everyone to spend $500... I'm there to look for specific items for myself and
                                      a few others, not to blow a lot of money.

                                      As someone else stated, they were willing to sell stuff on eBay for $1 with hefty S&H costs.  Since we're
                                      doing the S&H for them on the items we buy, I'd expect a decent price.  I'm hoping the people there don't
                                      have to do anything other than point to where they think stuff is, ie, I'm hoping they don't have to do any
                                      physical work.

                                      So is everyone going to bail out?  I still plan on going, but not if everyone else nixes the day.

                                      Bob

                                      I thought that we were taking them off their hands
                                      before they went to scrap.

                                      Can we find out?

                                      Not to sound whiny.

                                      For one thing, I don't have $500.00

                                      Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
                                      are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
                                      Ebay.

                                      http://cgi.ebay. com/Silicon- Graphics- SGI-Iris- Indigo-CMNB003- XS24-CHEAP_ W0QQitemZ3001647 65916QQihZ020QQc ategoryZ11223QQr dZ1QQssPageNameZ WD1VQQ_trksidZp1 638.m118. l1247QQcmdZViewI tem

                                      Yea, if they are expecting $500/person. . Not much
                                      reason to go.

                                      > I don't have a truck, don't collect rack-sized
                                      > computers, and don't
                                      > have space for them. I would not expect to buy $500
                                      > in scrap value,
                                      > even at today's HIGH PRICES FOR SCRAP. My impression
                                      > is that the
                                      > owner's representatives expect each participant to
                                      > make a purchase of
                                      > that amount or more. Therefore, I will not be going
                                      > to the DataLink
                                      > event, even to just look. That's contrary to my
                                      > based on this information.
                                      >
                                      > I appreciate Bill and others who found and sized up
                                      > this situation.
                                      > Thanks to them.
                                      >
                                      > Herb Johnson
                                      > retrotechnology. com

                                      Looking for last minute shopping deals?

                                    • Bob Grieb
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                                        Bob,

                                        I was planning to join you if I am around,
                                        but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                                        to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

                                        Bob

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                                          Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :

                                          > Bob,
                                          >
                                          > I was planning to join you if I am around,
                                          > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                                          > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.

                                          I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                                          there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                                          might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.

                                          Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                                          $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                                          Bob

                                          ___________________________________
                                          NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                                        • Brian Cirulnick
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                                            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Bob Applegate <bob@...>
                                            wrote:

                                            > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
                                            >
                                            > > Bob,
                                            > >
                                            > > I was planning to join you if I am around,
                                            > > but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                                            > > to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
                                            >
                                            > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                                            > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                                            > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
                                            >
                                            > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                                            > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                                            --------------------

                                            I guess the next question to ask is how many of us are going, as it
                                            seems as if the guys at the warehouse are hoping to make at least
                                            $2000 for showing up on a Saturday.

                                            Somehow I think that 5 people hoping to spend about $100 each is not
                                            going to equal $2000.

                                            But since we're talking about older machines, here's a system that I
                                            *would* be willing to pay good money for:

                                            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superbrain

                                            I used to own one of these (still have the floppies for it), but
                                            alas, when I moved out of Queens 15 or 16 years ago I was forced to
                                            dump it. Now I miss it.

                                            So, if anyone spots one, let me know!

                                            TTYL
                                            Brian C.
                                          • Brian Cirulnick
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 3, 2008
                                              <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                                              > Second the SGIs I saw are not huge Mini computers and
                                              > are worth like $50.00 I can get them for that much on
                                              > Ebay.
                                              >
                                              > http://cgi.ebay.com/Silicon-Graphics-SGI-Iris-Indigo-CMNB003-XS24-
                                              CHEAP_W0QQitemZ300164765916QQihZ020QQcategoryZ11223QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZ
                                              WD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

                                              ----------------

                                              Chris,
                                              Let's not forget that TCF might be good this year because eBay has
                                              essentially killed itself.

                                              A long time ago, TCF was a great source of good junk because eBay
                                              didn't exist. Then eBay decimated the flea market at TCF because
                                              everyone kept their good stuff for eBay sales and sold garbage at TCF.

                                              Now the situation is reversed because between eBay's fees and the
                                              astronomical cost of shipping computers, selling an old computer on
                                              eBay is not economically feasible anymore. Nobody wants to pay $100
                                              in shiping for a machine worth at most $50.

                                              So now it's very likely that people will be selling decent stuff at
                                              TCF again, assuming that TCF isn't charging enormous fees for a flea
                                              market spot (if you can't make back your money for the spot, no sense
                                              in going, right?).

                                              So there's a good possibility of finding what you want at TCF this
                                              year, and, at a price that's not sky-high. But, that also may be just
                                              me being too optimistic. ;-)

                                              TTYL
                                              Brian C.
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Mar 4, 2008
                                                > Bob Grieb <bobgrieb@...> wrote :
                                                >
                                                >> Bob,
                                                >>
                                                >> I was planning to join you if I am around,
                                                >> but it's not sounding good. When the guy refers
                                                >> to their systems as "rare" that's not a good sign.
                                                >
                                                > I figure I can go look at the "rare" systems and say "no thanks" if
                                                > there is nothing I care care about or was asked to look for. There
                                                > might be a gem in the pile that I'm interested in.
                                                >
                                                > Bill, were payment methods discussed? I don't feel like taking
                                                > $500 cash if there's nothing of interest.

                                                Bob,
                                                Being that Jim mentioned cash specifically that's the only method of
                                                payment I know for sure, but I assume they'd take credit card as well.
                                                They're a business, I would assume any money is good. Cash will could get
                                                you a better price?