Amiga 1000 info for "new member"

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25, 2008
      Hi everyone, sorry I've been busy the last few days and have not had
      a chance to read messages here for close to a week -- just spent the
      last hour catching up.

      New Member with the Amiga 1000 -- Yes, it should be asking for a
      Kickstart Disk. Kickstart is essentially the bootloader before the
      OS. Workbench is the OS, but Kickstart is (in PC terms) the "BIOS".
      It's the bootloader program. So the 1000 will ask for two disks,
      first Kickstart, and then it will prompt for Workbench. The 1000
      won't work as a desktop computer without these (unless you're really
      handy writing assembler for the 68000).

      Also, someone else mentioned the 500 was cooler... I disagree. From a
      hardware hacker standpoint, the design of the 1000 internally is way
      more awesome, plus the case is cool too, and you can put the monitor
      on top and hide the keyboard underneath. In my opinion, the 1000 had
      the best keyboard of the all the Amiga variants. The Amiga 1000 also
      had color NTSC out while the 500 was B/W. The 500 was less
      expandable, had the power supply as a seperate box, the floppy drive
      was in a bad position and the monitor blocked your printer port.

      If you're in need of Kickstart and Workbench disks, contact me, I'll
      see what I can do. I have at least three A1000's someplace in my
      house, and if worse comes to worse, there's the 1000 that's still in
      the box. I should be able to set up a working system and make copies.
      I just need to find some regular 720k diskettes that are blank!

      As for the trip on March 8th, I'd like to participate, although if no
      one else is going, then I'll wait until we're all on the same page.

      Rich Cini -- Thanks! You should have told me you're looking for
      diskette labels. Let me rummage around my house and see what I can
      find. I owe you some favors anyhow.

      Sorry I had to throw all this in one post, but that's my way of being
      efficient -- take notes and then respond to everyone at once.

      TTYL
      Brian C.