Reviving my OSI C2OEM

  • relayer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
      After seven years of sitting in storage. I finally decided to power up
      my Ohio Scientific C2-OEM. This is the first time ever using it. It
      was given to me long ago and I did nothing with it since taking posession.

      After cleaning most of the major dust and cat hair out of the thing
      (it was once sitting in a basement, a favorite hiding spot for our
      cats), I got the thing hooked up to the OSI dumb terminal and powered
      it up.

      Just a solid white cursor....

      I pressed the Yellow button on the front of the machine, nothing
      happened. I pressed the White button on the front of the machine. I saw

      H/M/D?

      (or something to that effect) appear on the terminal screen. However,
      everything I type causes the typed character to appear followed by a
      CR/LF. No more than one character appears per line or can I get any
      other response from the machine.

      There are two DB25 female connectors on the back of the machine. I'm
      pretty sure I have the proper connector in use for the terminal.

      What's my next step in troubleshooting?

      Thanks,
      Jeff
    • billdeg@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
        Jeff,
        Can you set the baud rate of the terminal to 300 baud? Try that.
        bill

        In a message dated 6/16/2005 4:52:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
        relayer@... writes:

        > After seven years of sitting in storage. I finally decided to power up
        > my Ohio Scientific C2-OEM. This is the first time ever using it. It
        > was given to me long ago and I did nothing with it since taking posession.
        >
        > After cleaning most of the major dust and cat hair out of the thing
        > (it was once sitting in a basement, a favorite hiding spot for our
        > cats), I got the thing hooked up to the OSI dumb terminal and powered
        > it up.
        >
        > Just a solid white cursor....
        >
        > I pressed the Yellow button on the front of the machine, nothing
        > happened. I pressed the White button on the front of the machine. I saw
        >
        > H/M/D?
        >
        > (or something to that effect) appear on the terminal screen. However,
        > everything I type causes the typed character to appear followed by a
        > CR/LF. No more than one character appears per line or can I get any
        > other response from the machine.
        >
        > There are two DB25 female connectors on the back of the machine. I'm
        > pretty sure I have the proper connector in use for the terminal.
        >
        > What's my next step in troubleshooting?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jeff
      • Bill Sudbrink
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
          > I pressed the Yellow button on the front of the machine, nothing
          > happened. I pressed the White button on the front of the machine. I saw
          >
          > H/M/D?

          If you're getting the prompt, your terminal settings are correct.
          You have 3 options:

          H) Hard disk boot. If you don't have a spinning hard disk, you
          won't get far.

          M) Monitor. A very crude ROM monitor program that will allow you
          to view and modify memory and to jump to an address.

          D) Disk (floppy) boot. You'll need a boot disk OS-65D (single user)
          or OS-65U (multi user).

          Note that this prompt only recognizes UPPER CASE.

          If you get as far as the monitor, when you enter the monitor,
          you are in address mode (keep that CAPS LOCK on). Any hex
          character (0-9, A-F) will alter the address in a kind of rotating
          fashion. Pressing the period will switch you to data mode.
          Hex characters will change the data value, the enter key will
          store the data value and advance the address. Dave's OSI pages
          have the scanned docs:

          http://www.osiweb.org/osiweb/

          If you get to the point of needing boot disks, I can help you out.

          Bill Sudbrink
        • relayer
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 16, 2005
            --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Sudbrink"
            > H) Hard disk boot. If you don't have a spinning hard disk, you
            > won't get far.

            I definately don't have a hard disk for it

            > M) Monitor. A very crude ROM monitor program that will allow you
            > to view and modify memory and to jump to an address.

            I did discover that I was able to freely type something in this mode.
            Mostly lower case

            > D) Disk (floppy) boot. You'll need a boot disk OS-65D (single user)
            > or OS-65U (multi user).

            I have to dig up some more disks. I have some program disks in another
            box in storage. According to documentation I have, I should at least
            have the WP6502 Word Processor and AMCAP Level II Accounting Package.
          • relayer
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 17, 2005
              OOPS!!!

              I think I managed to short something out. There's no observable
              damage, but now I'm not getting any response or boot prompt on the
              terminal.

              I found my boot disks and was trying to get the thing running. The
              disk would just spin and spin after hitting "D" at the boot prompt and
              a boot disk in the drive. The head wouldn't even move from the first
              track (although the drive did seek to the starting track).

              I wanted to switch drives and noticed there were jumpers on the drive
              circuit board, at least on one of the drives. The other drive had wire
              wrapped jumpers from strange locations, so I couldn't really swap them
              yet. While I had the drives out to clean, etc., I saw after a time the
              terminal screen throwing out a continuous stream of garbage
              characters. I didn't realize I had it on. The C2 was off and
              unplugged, but the RS-232 connector was still hooked up to the C2. I
              turned off the terminal and finished up with the drives. I go to turn
              everything on and notice no terminal response, just the cursor. I hit
              the white button several times to no avail. Then I noticed that two
              boards 'may' have been touching. Apparently the last owner didn't
              believe in bolting down the ends of the boards. I probably shorted out
              the 505 board against the 535 board.

              I suppose troubleshooting is in order now. I'll need to break out my
              oscilloscope and find a service manual. Hopefully, I didn't blow out a
              rare component. I probably fried the U1A 6820 UART.