Re: [midatlanticretro] OT: Anyone know of a source for a PPC 603e or 604 machine

  • William Pechter
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 15, 2005
      Yup... The Thinkpad ran AIX IIRC and was used for Sales Demos of
      software on AIX4.x...

      I think the other boxes were also sold as low-end AIX workstations
      with RS6000 model numbers... but I don't remember.

      The higher end RS6000's ran with SCSI controllers but the OS/2 boxes
      were IDE (IIRC) and also could run AIX v4.1.x.

      I think the workstations were PowerPC 604.

      Been a long time since I worked for IBM (and I ordered a bunch of the
      surplus SCSI versions of the workstations internally for my group)

      Bill

      --- madodel@... wrote:

      > In, on 05/28/05 at 03:21 PM,
      > madodel@... said:
      >

      > Correction to my previous post. My source was wrong on the PPC
      > version.
      > According to
      > http://www.os2voice.org/VNL/past_issues/VNL0205H/vnewsf5.htm
      > there were only four models which supported OS/2 PPC -
      >
      > "Personal Computer Power Series 830 (PowerPC 604) $2,795
      > Series 850 (PowerPC 604) under $6,000
      >
      > ThinkPad Power Series 820 (PowerPC 603e - less than $6000
      > Series 850 - (PowerPC 603e) - annoucned for sale Jul
      > 1995"
      >
      > Has anyone ever seen any of these machines?
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > --
      >
      > From the eComStation Desktop of: Mark Dodel
      >
      > Warpstock 2005, Hershey, Pennsylvania, October 6 - 9, 2005
      > http://www.warpstock.org
      > Warpstock Europe 2005, Dresden, Germany, Nov. 18-20
      > http://www.warpstock.net
      >
      > For a choice in the future of personal computing, Join VOICE -
      > http://www.os2voice.org
      >
      > "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the
      > growth of private power to a point where it becomes stronger than
      > their democratic State itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism -
      > ownership of government by an individual, by a group or by any
      > controlling private power." Franklin Delano Roosevelt, Message
      > proposing the Monopoly Investigation, 1938

      Discover Yahoo!
      http://discover.yahoo.com/weekend.html