More toys for MARCH

  • Evan
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 23, 2008
      Tomorrow's the normal museum day, but today I gave a full tour to a couple of guests ... One of which brought us more Amiga gear and a nice DECwriter. We didn't have one of those so I am happy.
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 28 , Feb 23, 2008
        Great score for MARCH. So, is there any "official" gatherings coming up. I've got a van load of great stuff to drop off, but I will need help unloading it all.

        I have all the Osborne Executive stuff we picked up in Yonkers, and just about the same amount again in DEC stuff. Mostly VT-103 systems and parts, and a LOT of manuals too.

        Kelly

        Message 3 of 28 , Feb 23, 2008
          > One of which brought us ... a nice DECwriter.

          If it's one of the floor standing units that's a nice score.
          If ribbons are still available I'll spring for a few.

          John A.
        • Evan
          Message 4 of 28 , Feb 23, 2008
            Yup, a floor standing model.

            Subj: Re: [midatlanticretro] More toys for MARCH
            Date: Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:17 pm
            Size: 808 bytes
            To: <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

            Message 5 of 28 , Feb 23, 2008
              March 29/30 we're talking about a get together.  I know some have said that this is a weekend they'll try to make the trip, any confirmations?  What dates?

              Bill

              Message 6 of 28 , Feb 23, 2008
                Message
                I'll ask Fred if some people can stay in one of the cottages.  They're nice inside.

                Message 7 of 28 , Feb 24, 2008

                  I'll still make it then too
                  With the AC for the big room and a few other house-warming goodies.

                  =Dan

                  B. Degnan wrote:
                  March 29/30 we're talking about a get together.  I know some have said that this is a weekend they'll try to make the trip, any confirmations?  What dates?

                  Bill

                  At 09:08 PM 2/23/2008 -0500, you wrote:
                  Great score for MARCH. So, is there any "official" gatherings coming up. I've got a van load of great stuff to drop off, but I will need help unloading it all.

                  I have all the Osborne Executive stuff we picked up in Yonkers, and just about the same amount again in DEC stuff. Mostly VT-103 systems and parts, and a LOT of manuals too.

                  Kelly

                  No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.9/1294 - Release Date: 2/22/2008 6:39 PM
                • Kelly Leavitt
                  Message 8 of 28 , Feb 24, 2008
                    I vote for the 29th.

                    March 29/30 we're talking about a get together.  I know some have said that this is a weekend they'll try to make the trip, any confirmations?  What dates?

                    Bill

                    At 09:08 PM 2/23/2008 -0500, you wrote:

                    Great score for MARCH. So, is there any "official" gatherings coming up. I've got a van load of great stuff to drop off, but I will need help unloading it all.

                    I have all the Osborne Executive stuff we picked up in Yonkers, and just about the same amount again in DEC stuff. Mostly VT-103 systems and parts, and a LOT of manuals too.

                    Kelly

                    Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                  • Dan Roganti

                      Message 10 of 28 , Feb 24, 2008
                        Message
                        You mean the cottage?

                        It's pretty well stocked already.  Many people have stayed there.  Fred's wife handles the housekeeping duties.

                        Fred told me today that he'll need to know exactly how many people want to stay over and on which nights.  So let me know ASAP.

                        Message 11 of 28 , Feb 24, 2008

                          Oh, I meant for the museum.
                          Just something that could sit in the hallway or somewhere.
                          Refreshments makes it more cozy :)

                          =Dan

                          Evan Koblentz wrote:
                          Message
                          You mean the cottage?

                          It's pretty well stocked already.  Many people have stayed there.  Fred's wife handles the housekeeping duties.

                          Fred told me today that he'll need to know exactly how many people want to stay over and on which nights.  So let me know ASAP.
                          Is there any incidentals you could use there to make the place a little more cozy ?

                          I have a big coffee urn that I can bring.

                          =Dan

                          B. Degnan wrote: March 29/30 we're talking about a get together.  I know some have said that this is a weekend they'll try to make the trip, any confirmations?  What dates?

                          Message 12 of 28 , Feb 24, 2008
                            Bill,

                            Is it still ok to stop by then ?
                            I realize you'll have your hands full with the new baby next month.

                            =Dan
                            P.S. don't forget the cigars :)

                            Message 13 of 28 , Feb 24, 2008
                              Message
                              Ah.  I think there is a coffee machines somewhere, maybe in the upstairs kitchen ... there is definitely a working fridge ... and plenty of convenience stores nearby.

                              Message 14 of 28 , Feb 24, 2008
                                Yes, please do stop by.  The baby is not due for 7.5 months.
                                Bill

                                At 09:29 PM 2/24/2008 -0500, you wrote:
                                Bill,

                                Is it still ok to stop by then ?
                                I realize you'll have your hands full with the new baby next month.

                                =Dan
                                P.S. don't forget the cigars :)

                                [ Pittsburgh ---
                                http://www2.applegate.org/~ragooman/
                                ]

                              • Herb Johnson
                                Message 15 of 28 , Feb 25, 2008

                                  I have a conflicting event that weekend. So I can choose, what will
                                  happen that weekend? I don't expect a schedule, just some clues.

                                  Herb Johnson
                                  retrotechnology.com
                                  Message 16 of 28 , Feb 25, 2008
                                    Evan,

                                    Never turn down a coffee maker. It would make group projects "more cozy". Dan, a 30-cup urn may be a little large, but 20 cups or smaller would be really nice.

                                    Jim

                                    Message 17 of 28 , Feb 25, 2008
                                      All,

                                      One event of the weekend is supposed to be a real sit down face to face meeting of the MARCH board. Other MARCH members would be welcome to attend. We need a simple group event like to this to get people like me on the road.

                                      Beyond that, it is an opportunity to donate stuff to MARCH. I have a wagonload of machines, documentation, etc., that was donated to MARCH over the last year - the Zerox 860, DEC VT180, etc. I really need to get this stuff out of my basement to make room for more stuff. ;-)

                                      I may have been the original instigator of this event. Now, unfortunately, it looks like I will be in Chicago from mid March until at least the end of April on a family matter. I will probably also miss TCF.

                                      Message 18 of 28 , Feb 25, 2008
                                        Kelly,

                                        The idea is to have the entire weekend. Hopefully the entire board would be there on the same day for the board meeting. Others could be there either or both days.

                                        I was planning to come down a couple days before, however... (see my last post)

                                        Jim

                                        Message 19 of 28 , Feb 25, 2008
                                          March 29/30 at InfoAge - Restoration Committee kickoff

                                          We have a lot of unknown status items at InfoAge. Being that we as a group
                                          are attempting to bring life to antique computers in a effort to preserve
                                          history, restoring as many of these systems as possible is a worthy effort.

                                          In addition to whatever else we do that weekend, we're going to have our
                                          first "restoration committee" meeting. The goal is to pick and assign
                                          systems that are serviceable candidates for restoration projects that can
                                          be finished by VCF/InfoAge weekend, Sept 13/14. There is a *possibly* of
                                          take-home assignments. This will give restorers April through Sept to
                                          research, scrounge, and repair at home.

                                          This is an opportunity for those want to exhibit at the VCF but don't have
                                          their own systems.

                                          I will be there both days, but exactly when I don't know yet. My role is
                                          to keep track of who's doing what. If interested and you can be there on
                                          the 29th or 30th, let me know. I have to work out some details with the
                                          MARCH board, but I think you have the idea...let me know if you have questions.

                                          Message 20 of 28 , Feb 25, 2008
                                            Hola, MARCHins.

                                            Sorry if my replies (in general) have been slow these past few weeks. I
                                            started a new job last month which is keeping me MUCH busier than my
                                            previous job. On the other hand, it's more fun, too. (Tomorrow through
                                            Thursday I will be on a business trip and probably won't respond at all.)

                                            With that out of the way, I'll say this: thumbs-up to BD for taking the lead
                                            on this next work weekend! I really appreciate MARCH folks doing things on
                                            their own without my prodding. :) Too many times in the past year or two or
                                            three, I tried doing everything myself, and that wasn't a good decision.

                                            Everything BD said in his message is spot-on.

                                            Just a few comments of my own:

                                            - If/when we decide to let individual members take systems home with them
                                            for restoration, then we'll need the work completed in August, not
                                            September, so we still have time to get the exhibits together for Sept.
                                            13-14. We don't want to be rushing to get everything together when we have
                                            the big show happening. The main reason for the September timeframe is to
                                            give us EXTRA time for the museum, so waiting until the last week wouldn't
                                            be healthy.

                                            - We'll try as a group to decide which systems should be restored by which
                                            members. I think it'd be terrific if some of our older/more experienced
                                            members could mentor some of our younger/less experienced members in that
                                            regard. So working in small teams is a plus!

                                            - My personal plan is to get there early and be there the whole damn time
                                            re: March 29-30. We certainly should all plan to have some fun the evening
                                            of the 29th.

                                            - I'll try to make time for tours of InfoAge, especially for anyone who
                                            still hasn't been there and/or for anyone who just hasn't been there lately
                                            ... lots of exciting things happening on campus. Then again, we don't want
                                            to dilly-dally like we have in past work days (myself included).

                                            Message 21 of 28 , Feb 25, 2008
                                              >>> what will happen that weekend? I don't expect a schedule, just some
                                              clues.

                                              Please see the more recent emails from Bill D. and myself.

                                              Basically: we'll decide what MARCH systems to include in our first wave of
                                              exhibits, we'll assign systems-to-people for assessments and/or
                                              restorations, and hopefully we'll do some organizing of our exhibit rooms.
                                              And of course we will socialize, inevitably quote from nerdy cult movies,
                                              and ingest beer.

                                              I'd rather see us get done with 75% of the plans and have lots of fun, as
                                              opposed to getting done with 100% of the plans but take ourselves way too
                                              seriously.

                                              Message 22 of 28 , Feb 25, 2008
                                                Thanks Evan.

                                                At 08:13 PM 2/25/2008 -0500, you wrote:
                                                >Hola, MARCHins.
                                                >
                                                >Sorry if my replies (in general) have been slow these past few weeks. I
                                                >started a new job last month which is keeping me MUCH busier than my
                                                >previous job. On the other hand, it's more fun, too. (Tomorrow through
                                                >Thursday I will be on a business trip and probably won't respond at all.)
                                                >
                                                >With that out of the way, I'll say this: thumbs-up to BD for taking the lead
                                                >on this next work weekend! I really appreciate MARCH folks doing things on
                                                >their own without my prodding. :) Too many times in the past year or two or
                                                >three, I tried doing everything myself, and that wasn't a good decision.
                                                >
                                                >Everything BD said in his message is spot-on.
                                              • Ryan Harvey
                                                Message 23 of 28 , Feb 25, 2008
                                                  This isn't too new, is it?

                                                  I've got a Tandy 1000SX sitting in my closet, and has been there for a few months. I also have assorted Tandy accessories, all of which I purchased(they weren't gifts) and have the right to sell. Here is the original post I posted, which has more info, a list of the Tandy stuff for sale, and a picture of the system unit. Can provide pics of accesories or more info on request.

                                                  --Ryan
                                                  Available for pickup in Lewisville, TX(DF/W) or more likely, seems this is MID-ATLANTIC retro, for shipping. The thing is of no use for me. I am in to the older AIO TRS-80s and Tandy's newer 8086s and up. This one is an 8088.

                                                • jack99rubin
                                                  Message 24 of 28 , Feb 26, 2008
                                                    --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Jim Scheef <jscheef@...> wrote:
                                                    . ;-)

                                                    > I may have been the original instigator of this event. Now,
                                                    unfortunately, it looks like I will be in Chicago from mid March until
                                                    at least the end of April on a family matter. I will probably also miss
                                                    TCF.

                                                    > Jim

                                                    Jim (or any other MARCHians),

                                                    Don't forget that there is a MARCH outpost in the Midwest. If you're in
                                                    or near Chicago, please feel free to give me a call. Email me offlist
                                                    for my phone number and travel info.

                                                    Jack
                                                  • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
                                                    Message 25 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
                                                      Where precisely is InfoAge?
                                                      I've got some work to do on Saturday that will take most of the day
                                                      but I have stuff to bring up that might amuse you. I still would
                                                      like to know if the Amiga and Wang can be made to do more than
                                                      turn on. Once I see that, you can have them.
                                                      bs

                                                      Message 26 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
                                                        see: infoage.org
                                                        Wall, NJ

                                                        At 10:28 AM 3/1/2008 -0500, you wrote:
                                                        >Where precisely is InfoAge?
                                                        >I've got some work to do on Saturday that will take most of the day
                                                        >but I have stuff to bring up that might amuse you. I still would
                                                        >like to know if the Amiga and Wang can be made to do more than
                                                        >turn on. Once I see that, you can have them.
                                                        >bs
                                                      • Evan
                                                        Message 27 of 28 , Mar 1, 2008
                                                          2201 Marconi Rd.
                                                          Wall, N.J. 07719

                                                          Sometimes in GPS databases they list it as Belmar instead of Wall.

                                                          However it's best NOT to show up unannounced because you might find the campus locked up with nobody there (except Sunday 1-4) ... or you might see evidence of people there (cars in the lot) but not be able to find the actual humans ... or perhaps they'd be in different buildings than where MARCH lives ... etc.

                                                          So, it's always best to let me know when you plan to visit. If I can't be there, then I can arrange for Steve or a slew of other volunteers to meet you there.

                                                          I'm at 646-546-9999.

                                                          Evan

                                                          Subj: Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: March 29/30 at InfoAge - who's coming?
                                                          Date: Sat Mar 1, 2008 10:28 am
                                                          Size: 1K
                                                          To: "midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com" <midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com>

                                                          Where precisely is InfoAge?
                                                          I've got some work to do on Saturday that will take most of the day
                                                          but I have stuff to bring up that might amuse you. I still would
                                                          like to know if the Amiga and Wang can be made to do more than
                                                          turn on. Once I see that, you can have them.
                                                          bs

                                                          On Mon, 25 Feb 2008, Jim Scheef wrote:

                                                          > All,
                                                          >
                                                          > One event of the weekend is supposed to be a real sit down face to face meeting of the MARCH board. Other MARCH members would be welcome to attend. We need a simple group event like to this to get people like me on the road.
                                                          >
                                                          > Beyond that, it is an opportunity to donate stuff to MARCH. I have a wagonload of machines, documentation, etc., that was donated to MARCH over the last year - the Zerox 860, DEC VT180, etc. I really need to get this stuff out of my basement to make room for more stuff. ;-)
                                                          >
                                                          > I may have been the original instigator of this event. Now, unfortunately, it looks like I will be in Chicago from mid March until at least the end of April on a family matter. I will probably also miss TCF.
                                                          >
                                                          > Jim

                                                          Yahoo! Groups Links
                                                        • schwepes@moog.netaxs.com
                                                          Message 28 of 28 , Mar 2, 2008
                                                            The web site for infoage led me through 2007. Someone needs sorely to
                                                            update the site. At least I have a good idea where it is and it's not
                                                            a difficult run from where I will end up that Saturday, to wit
                                                            Navy Federal Credit Union just outside of Haddonfield.
                                                            bs