Back on the subject of BBS'es

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 19, 2008
      About a week ago the subject of the BBS came up. If anyone is
      interested, I do run a BBS, and have been running the same one since
      around 1993 -- It's a "First Class" BBS system, and you can find out
      more about it by hitting my website and reading the docs page:

      http://www.obsolyte.com/fc/

      First Class is/was a graphical client/server system developed by a
      company named Softarc. It allowed a Mac or Windows PC to use the
      mouse "online" clicking on icons and stuff well before the Web made
      this possible.

      Note the the Windows Client was originally intended for Win 3.1, and
      thus, isn't Y2k compatible, thus, current messages show with the date
      as being in the year "1908", although it works fine on the server
      side, and the Mac client is unaffected.

      It can be accessed by downloading the client and entering the server
      name as "techrat.is-a-geek.com" and making sure that the TCP.IP setup
      is set to use port 3000.

      I was thinking about setting up a modem again on my home phone, which
      if nothing else, will drive away the telemarketers, but also allow
      dial-in access to the BBS for people that prefer the relative
      slowness.

      Either that, or I'll dust off the C=64 and set up something else on
      the phone line for people that really like slow (1200 baud!)

      TTYL
      Brian C.
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 19, 2008
        Brian,
        My BBS project has been a little delayed, but I still plan to have a
        working dial-up BBS online by the end of this month. "..It WILL be at my
        work, our phone will not be ringing 24 hours a day..", as my wife pointed
        out. That did not originally occur to me, but she sometimes she needs to
        remind me of the real world. :-)
        bd