Kiosk with Vintage Computer Ads

  • syssrc
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 17 7:39 PM
      I'm building a kiosk for the System Source Computer Museum.

      A prototype is at http://www.syssrc.com/kiosk

      (You Can see a bit of our museum at warp speed. (row 2, column 3) We
      have also gotten some positive feedback on our old invoice on our
      home page (www.syssrc.com))

      So far, I have slurped the content from youtube.com, but I'm looking
      to make a fairly decent library.

      I'd really like to find a short demo of an Altair, and IMSAI, data
      processing equipment etc. Any volunteers?

      I need 3 things for an entry:
      1) A SHORT video. I'm aiming to keep them all < 1 minute
      2) A photo for the menu.
      3) Tags for the menu.

      I'll be happy to host.
      You are welcome to replicate it at MARCH.

      Bob Roswell
      broswell at syssrc.com
      (410) 771-5544 ext 4336
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18 5:58 AM
        Thanks for the offer Bob.

        For those of you who do not know this, Bob's company, System Source, has an
        extensive computer museum on display at his company. There are
        representatives of almost every kind of computing device and system from
        the 1900's through to today. It's worth the trip. System Source used to
        be one of the first Computer Land stores before it changed focus in the
        80's and the company itself retains a bit of "vintage computing" with its
        museum. The number of systems easily rivals what we have at
        InfoAge. There are still a few unsold and unopened cases of systems from
        the 70's in the storeroom, I believe I saw shipping crate full of
        Cromemco's or an IMSAI's on a shelf, but I don't recall exactly. There are
        a few DEC systems on display, Altairs, etc.

        System Source is located in Hunt Valley, Maryland which is just north of
        Baltimore on rte 83.

        Making videos of your working vintage computers is something we should
        discuss more often. This is a great way for people who can't make the trip
        to InfoAge to contribute. I attempted to make my own IMSAI 8080 video for
        class last semester, and it was OK for a first try.
        (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cW5TVNu6VP8) ...not very exciting. Just
        like any video you have to have some sort of a plan, or it looks like a
        home video. Also, if we remember to include with the beginning credits
        "Video brought to you by [your name here] and the Mid Atlantic Retro
        Computing Hobbyists" we could make more of a name for ourselves.

        Bill

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 18 5:51 PM
          Bill wrote, >>>> Making videos of your working vintage computers is
          something we should discuss more often.

          Good timing for this discussion. InfoAge recently picked up a
          father-and-son volunteer team -- Norm and Ryan Lemonde -- who are starting a
          project to document the various groups' exhibits on video. Then the groups
          could use kiosks as complements to exhibits for times when group volunteers
          are not around. The kiosks could be activated by visitors or by tour guides
          who aren't as knowledgeable as we are. On the other hand, we don't want to
          rely on too much video -- we don't want people to enter an exhibit and walk
          past the computers to see what's on the TV!