California Technology International 1008-A Computer pics

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2008
      California Technology International 1008-A Computer
      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/CTI/1008-A/

      Any one ever used one of these before? I just replaced the drive belt, it
      uses an OEM Exatron Stringy Floppy for storage. Mid 1979 appears to be the
      manuf. date.

      Note pics, there's a 5 1/4" type drive connector in the back behind the
      LCD display. hmmm. I have never tried to hook one of these up to a TRS 80
      using a drive cable. Mid 1979 is just about when the Exatron Stringy
      Floppy first appeared. Aside from the key for loading a ESfloppy, the
      remaining keys only beep at me, no other response on the LCD display. When
      successfully (but nothing happens) What you'd expect from a blank wafer.
      I believe that the programs are loaded from ROM, the wafer is only for
      storage.

      I *think* that this is a video input unit. A person would use this
      computer to add text to video. I am not sure how a person would have
      cabled this computer to a video system however.

      I wonder if it's possible to load an assembler or get to some sort of
      monitor with this, or if an onboard ROM is required. In theory a person
      could create a BASIC ROM, there are spaces. There are a lot of
      possibilities. Almost looks like an early laptop (with the addition of a
      battery back)? ha ha

      Original thread here:
      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/browse_thread.cfm?id=44