Re: Field Trip to the Surplus MiniComputer @ DataLink

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 10, 2008
      wrote:

      > Sure, it sounds like a fun trip. Not sure what if anything I'd
      buy, but
      > might as well look. Maybe you could chime on what, if anything,
      would be
      > good for the MARCH collection. We don't normally like to buy stuff
      > (donations are key!) but if something is important for us to have --
      and
      > not too pricey -- then I wouldn't hesitate to buy it myself and
      donate it.

      -------------------

      I have an old Sun 3/60 that I could donate to MARCH, if it's looking
      for a SUN workstation -- this is a wide, flat Pizzabox-shaped machine
      consisting of a single VME card (Motorola 68020-based).

      The thing is -- I've never tested if the thing works (very likely
      dead NVRAM, but that's easily fixable). I *might* also have the
      period-correct keyboard for it.

      Let me know. If you're interested, I'll try and plug it in sometime
      this weekend and find out if we're dealing with a dead machine or
      not. (D'oh, in 20/20 hindsight, I probably should have found out if
      it's working before offering to donate, but, that's sleep deprivation
      for ya')

      TTYL
      Brian C.