Anniversary..Re: [midatlanticretro] IMSAI spotted...

  • Dan Roganti
    Message 1 of 11 , Feb 10, 2008

      2008 is also the 40th anniv in the founding of Intel, 1968
      goomba Federico Faggin

      =Dan

      Evan wrote:
      Sounds great!  And 2008 is the 30th anniversary of the first BBS.  We'll have to ask Jason Scott to give a talk or make an exhibit this year ... Maybe we could even get Ward C. to be our big speaker...

    • Evan
      Message 2 of 11 , Feb 10, 2008
        True, and a few other things as well ... I have a list around here somewhere.

        Message 3 of 11 , Feb 10, 2008

          1968,
          The 'Mouse'
          Standford Univ.
          Here's some video from that day
          http://sloan.stanford.edu/MouseSite/1968Demo.html

          =Dan

          Date:  Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:26 pm
          Size:  2K
          To:  midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

           2008 is also the 40th anniv in the founding of Intel, 1968
           goomba Federico Faggin

           =Dan

           Evan wrote:  Sounds great!  And 2008 is the 30th anniversary of the first BBS.  We'll have to ask Jason Scott to give a talk or make an exhibit this year ... Maybe we could even get Ward C. to be our big speaker...

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Message 4 of 11 , Feb 11, 2008
            Message
            A few more:
            1938 - HP formed
            1978 - BBS (already mentioned), VisiCalc, TCP/IP, Spam, 5.25 became popular, Wordstar, the 8086

            And as Dan already mentioned, 1968 saw the mouse and the founding of Intel.

            So maybe we should make the theme of VCF East 5.0 be "The Eights" ... which also includes 8-inch disks, 8-bit computers, data on 8-track tapes ... what else?

            Message 5 of 11 , Feb 12, 2008
              Re: Anniversary..Re: [midatlanticretro] IMSAI spotted... Other 8’s:

              8080
              Z80
              6800
              Magic 8-Ball (had to throw that one in there)

              Rich

              Date:  Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:26 pm
              Size:  2K
              To:  midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

              --
              Rich Cini
              Collector of Classic Computers
              Message 6 of 11 , Feb 12, 2008
                Message
                >>> Magic 8-Ball (had to throw that one in there)
                LOL ... same reason I mentioned the 8-track tape.   :)

                Message 7 of 11 , Feb 12, 2008
                  Don't forget the PDP-8 !!! (which I believe will be 43 this year).

                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "Richard A. Cini"

                  Message 8 of 11 , Feb 12, 2008
                    Here's a few more anniversaries,

                    1958, First Video Game - another little well know anniv.(it's analog, but still)
                    http://www.bnl.gov/bnlweb/history/higinbotham.asp

                    1958, First Integrated Circuit, Jack Kilby
                    http://www.ti.com/corp/docs/kilbyctr/jackbuilt.shtml

                    1888, Analytical Engine, built first time by Henry Babbage, Charles' son, Computes Pi to 29 digits
                    http://www.fourmilab.ch/babbage/hpb1910.html

                    1928, Philo T. Farnswoth, electronic television -- Does Television count ?
                    (after all we wouldn't have monitors to look at)

                    1983, Apple Lisa -- Is there room for a Silver anniv too ?

                    =Dan

                    Date:  Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:26 pm
                    Size:  2K
                    To:  midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                     2008 is also the 40th anniv in the founding of Intel, 1968
                     goomba Federico Faggin

                     =Dan

                     Evan wrote:  Sounds great!  And 2008 is the 30th anniversary of the first BBS.  We'll have to ask Jason Scott to give a talk or make an exhibit this year ... Maybe we could even get Ward C. to be our big speaker...

                    <*> Your email settings:
                        Individual Email | Traditional

                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                        (Yahoo! ID required)

                    <*> To change settings via email:

                        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.2/1271 - Release Date: 2/11/2008 8:16 AM
                    Message 9 of 11 , Feb 12, 2008
                      Message
                      Does anyone think we're taking this "8s" idea too far?   :)

                      Message 10 of 11 , Feb 12, 2008

                        I was thinking about what you can have at the museum.

                        Since almost every year there's some sort of anniversary, it can be difficult to build an exhibit for each one.
                        Maybe you can have some kind of small glass kiosk which you can fill up with memorabilia from the anniversaries each year. It could be anything, pictures, placards, etc. that you can reproduce with a good printer.

                        Just something to give recognition to all the historical events.

                        =Dan

                        Date:  Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:26 pm
                        Size:  2K
                        To:  midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com

                         2008 is also the 40th anniv in the founding of Intel, 1968
                         goomba Federico Faggin

                         =Dan

                         Evan wrote:  Sounds great!  And 2008 is the 30th anniversary of the first BBS.  We'll have to ask Jason Scott to give a talk or make an exhibit this year ... Maybe we could even get Ward C. to be our big speaker...

                        <*> Your email settings:
                            Individual Email | Traditional

                        <*> To change settings online go to:
                            (Yahoo! ID required)

                        <*> To change settings via email:

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                        No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.2/1271 - Release Date: 2/11/2008 8:16 AM

                        No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.2/1273 - Release Date: 2/12/2008 9:31 AM
                        Message 11 of 11 , Feb 12, 2008
                          Message
                          Good idea.  We'll have plenty of room for this kind of thing and any other mini-exhibits ("exhibitettes?") that we can conjure...