Wow! Very interesting "rescure" ... FW: InfoAge

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 9, 2008
      Message
      Hi everyone, check out the email below ... this machine was found today when a small army of InfoAge volunteers were moving random items from one of the "H" buildings to another so that the Army could fix some windows.  I immediately Googled for "Amdahl 4705" and one of the top links was to an InfoAge page!  Huh, how could THAT be without us knowing about it!?  Turns out it was buried from 1997.

      I'll have to ask Fred about this.  :-)

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 9, 2008
        Message
        Heh ... upon further review, the Amdahl system is * empty * inside.  But it's still a nice exhibit piece.

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 9, 2008
          Message
          This keeps getting more interesting -- http://www.infoage.org/a5890.html -- so, where are these 3 tons of mainframe hardware??  I'll have to investigate this!!

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 9, 2008
            Ok, I'm just a little curious... How did it get into the men's room?

            That's pretty small for an Amdahl CPU. It must be a controller or communications unit of some sort.

            Jim

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 9, 2008
              Message
              In the H-buildings, things were put all over the place ... I'll have to ask Fred if he knows how this particular thing ended up there ... from what I gather it's not the CPU in the picture, just some sort of control system.  But Dave S. sent another email saying he thinks he DID see the full setup.  I'm just baffled how it could be there and we didn't know about it!  (Or how I/Andy/etc. could've forgotten?)

              Hopefully I'll get some answers tomorrow.