Re: [midatlanticretro] Field Trip to the Surplus MiniComputer @ DataLink

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 2008
      B Degnan wrote:
      > Hi everyone
      > Let me know if anyone'd like to go to DataLink in Westhampton, NJ to grab

      I think you may mean Westampton, which is between Willingboro and Mt.
      Holly..

      > a minicomputer from the surplus inventory. 08060 is the zip. The prices
      > are $20-250 per computer. I was thinking of picking up an RS6000, or an
      > old SUN hosting server. You'll need a truck!
      >
      > The whole inventory is eventually going to be scrapped at 18 cents a pound.
      > I'd like to schedule something before the end of Feb.
      >
      > Contact me directly by email to coordinate. Send me your best days and
      > times. I will try to finalize a date/time by the end of the day Monday.

      I am not as interested in these systems, but since it is pretty close to
      where I live, I could be there to help out as long as it was on a
      weekend day...

      Cheers,

      Bryan
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 2008
        Bill and all,

        An RS 6000 would be within our bailiwick, although I would rather find an AS/400. I believe I saw some DEC stuff in the list that would also be good for the museum. Remember that most minicomputers were manufactured in smaller numbers than even the rarest of micros. These machines will disappear in the blink of an eye. Here we have a chance to "collect" something that should be fairly easy to get running and that will fit in with the PDP and VAX we already have.

        BTW, bidding on the "IBM RS 6000 No Reserve!!!" auction has not reached the reserve!

        Jim

        Let me know if anyone'd like to go to DataLink in Westhampton, NJ to grab
        a minicomputer from the surplus inventory.  08060 is the zip.  The prices
        are $20-250 per computer.  I was thinking of picking up an RS6000, or an
        old SUN hosting server.  You'll need a truck!

        The whole inventory is eventually going to be scrapped at 18 cents a pound.
        I'd like to schedule something before the end of Feb.

        Contact me directly by email to coordinate.  Send me your best days and
        times.  I will try to finalize a date/time by the end of the day Monday.

        http://www.vintagecomputer.net/temp/

        Bill

      • Greg N Shari (GMail)
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 2008
          Keep me posted on the date of the trip and I would like to meet up as well. I saw a couple of things on the list and pics I might be interested in. If nothing else, it would be a good chance to meet some of you who are going.

          Greg

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 10, 2008
            wrote:

            > Sure, it sounds like a fun trip. Not sure what if anything I'd
            buy, but
            > might as well look. Maybe you could chime on what, if anything,
            would be
            > good for the MARCH collection. We don't normally like to buy stuff
            > (donations are key!) but if something is important for us to have --
            and
            > not too pricey -- then I wouldn't hesitate to buy it myself and
            donate it.

            -------------------

            I have an old Sun 3/60 that I could donate to MARCH, if it's looking
            for a SUN workstation -- this is a wide, flat Pizzabox-shaped machine
            consisting of a single VME card (Motorola 68020-based).

            The thing is -- I've never tested if the thing works (very likely
            dead NVRAM, but that's easily fixable). I *might* also have the
            period-correct keyboard for it.

            Let me know. If you're interested, I'll try and plug it in sometime
            this weekend and find out if we're dealing with a dead machine or
            not. (D'oh, in 20/20 hindsight, I probably should have found out if
            it's working before offering to donate, but, that's sleep deprivation
            for ya')

            TTYL
            Brian C.