Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Slow modems

  • Sridhar Ayengar
    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
      sicaproductions wrote:
      >> A 300 baud modem must've been awful!
      >
      > In a way, the slow modem just made for a different reality, but it
      > was the only thing we knew. It didn't seem "awful" 'cause this was as
      > good as it had ever been and as fast as it had ever been. Before
      > that, if we needed faster than the U.S. mail, we were Telexing things
      > and having a secretary re-type it on a Selectric.
      >
      > At 300 baud, I can clearly recall being able to read the text as it
      > scrolled past you on the green screen. You didn't have to save it to
      > disk or print it out if you didn't want to, you could just read it as
      > it came in! Since it was going by just about as fast as I could read
      > it, I didn't see any advantage to a faster modem at the time :-)
      > (seriously!) I did eventually upgrade to a "hot" new 1200 baud unit.

      I remember upgrading from 110 to 300. It felt sooooo much faster!

      Peace... Sridhar
    • Kelly Leavitt
      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 6, 2008
        Sridhar:
        Congrats!! You don't look old enough to remember upgrading from 110 to 300. Either you started real young or aged real well.

        I'm 41, started with computers in 1981, and I think my first modem was 300 baud even then. But the upgrade to 1200. WOW! Does anyone else remember RLE graphics on Genie (or was it Compuserver)?

        I still remember my last Genie (XTH43602) and compuserve (70145,1013) accounts.

        Kelly

        > In a way, the slow modem just made for a different reality, but it
        > was the only thing we knew. It didn't seem "awful" 'cause this was as
        > good as it had ever been and as fast as it had ever been. Before
        > that, if we needed faster than the U.S. mail, we were Telexing things
        > and having a secretary re-type it on a Selectric.
        >
        > At 300 baud, I can clearly recall being able to read the text as it
        > scrolled past you on the green screen. You didn't have to save it to
        > disk or print it out if you didn't want to, you could just read it as
        > it came in! Since it was going by just about as fast as I could read
        > it, I didn't see any advantage to a faster modem at the time :-)
        > (seriously!) I did eventually upgrade to a "hot" new 1200 baud unit.

        I remember upgrading from 110 to 300. It felt sooooo much faster!

        Peace... Sridhar
      • Mason Taube