Re: minis and mainframe pictures

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 5, 2008
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...>
      wrote:

      > I visited the seller of a huge quantity of late 80's early 90's era
      mini
      > computers. Here is a link to pictures. I also have an inventory
      > spreadsheet of parts
      >
      > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/temp/
      >
      > ooo ahh
      >
      > too new for me, but eventually these are going to be sought-after
      machines.
      ---------------

      I hate to say it, but it looks very much like where I work, except
      our computers are all plugged in and running. I wouldn't mind having
      one or two of those mid-sized SUN boxen to run my website from.
      What's the cheapest this guy's willing to go for some of that cool
      junk?
    • Mike Loewen
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
        On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Brian Cirulnick wrote:

        > I hate to say it, but it looks very much like where I work, except
        > our computers are all plugged in and running. I wouldn't mind having
        > one or two of those mid-sized SUN boxen to run my website from.
        > What's the cheapest this guy's willing to go for some of that cool
        > junk?

        He's been selling the larger systems on Ebay, seller 'dlcs3'. Maybe
        you could contact him.

        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
          I have been in contact with "Jim" and I think that a group buy might be in
          order. I am working to help him get his entire inventory online, similar
          to this web site I made for Campbell's Soup in 1999:
          campbells-equipment.com.

          There are some parts I am interested in, maybe an IBM system, I don't know
          the costs of anything. I will find out soon.

          Bill

          At 07:14 AM 2/6/2008 -0500, you wrote:
          >On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Brian Cirulnick wrote:
          >
          > > I hate to say it, but it looks very much like where I work, except
          > > our computers are all plugged in and running. I wouldn't mind having
          > > one or two of those mid-sized SUN boxen to run my website from.
          > > What's the cheapest this guy's willing to go for some of that cool
          > > junk?
          >
          > He's been selling the larger systems on Ebay, seller 'dlcs3'. Maybe
          >you could contact him.
          >

          >Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          >Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
          >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
            On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, B. Degnan wrote:

            > I have been in contact with "Jim" and I think that a group buy might be in
            > order. I am working to help him get his entire inventory online, similar
            > to this web site I made for Campbell's Soup in 1999:
            > campbells-equipment.com.

            Sounds reasonable. I'd be interested in Sun workstations, rather than
            servers.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Ian King
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
              In addition to being a geek, I'm also a biker.  I'm still chuckling every time I see one of those 100th Anniversary Harleys go by - the ones that everyone who bought them thought would become invaluable collectibles over time.  Too bad Harley sold so many of them, that their chances of ever being anything more than a good motorcycle to ride are slim to none.  Same thing is true of my car, a Mercedes 450SL: so many were built that they're not at all collectible, just a cool car to drive.

              And neither of those approaches the commodity status of the "personal computer".

              Ryan, I'd suggest a good 401(k) plan.  :-)  Oh, and I don't plan to be dead at 88, sorry to disappoint....  -- Ian

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                From: Mike Loewen, February 06, 2008 7:14 AM
                > He's been selling the larger systems on Ebay, seller 'dlcs3'.
                > Maybe you could contact him.

                10 of the LARGE'er machines are up on eBay right now
                for $100 each.

                Location: Westampton, NJ
                "I'm not a tech so I have no way of testing these babies so they are going
                to be sold on an As-Is basis..IF you have any questions feel fre to email or
                call 609-702-9300 X 220 Jim" (from 160204758512)

                John A.

                re: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdlcs3
              • Bob Applegate
                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                  John Allain <allain@...> wrote :

                  > From: Mike Loewen, February 06, 2008 7:14 AM
                  > > He's been selling the larger systems on Ebay, seller 'dlcs3'.
                  > > Maybe you could contact him.
                  >
                  > 10 of the LARGE'er machines are up on eBay right now
                  > for $100 each.
                  >
                  > Location: Westampton, NJ
                  > "I'm not a tech so I have no way of testing these babies so they are going
                  > to be sold on an As-Is basis..IF you have any questions feel fre to email or
                  > call 609-702-9300 X 220 Jim" (from 160204758512)

                  Hmmm... Westampton is very close to here. I wonder who this fellow is? If
                  someone wants me to take a look at something, maybe I could call this guy and
                  ask if I could go over to see it. If someone on the list wins something, let
                  me know and I could meet you there to load it.

                  Bob

                  ___________________________________
                  NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                    That's him...Maybe we should have a field trip and take some trucks.
                    bd

                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                      At 06:07 PM 2/6/2008 -0500, you wrote:
                      >John Allain <allain@...> wrote :
                      >
                      > > From: Mike Loewen, February 06, 2008 7:14 AM
                      > > > He's been selling the larger systems on Ebay, seller 'dlcs3'.
                      > > > Maybe you could contact him.
                      > >
                      > > 10 of the LARGE'er machines are up on eBay right now
                      > > for $100 each.
                      > >
                      > > Location: Westampton, NJ
                      > > "I'm not a tech so I have no way of testing these babies so they
                      > are going
                      > > to be sold on an As-Is basis..IF you have any questions feel fre to
                      > email or
                      > > call 609-702-9300 X 220 Jim" (from 160204758512)
                      >
                      >Hmmm... Westampton is very close to here. I wonder who this fellow is? If
                      >someone wants me to take a look at something, maybe I could call this guy and
                      >ask if I could go over to see it. If someone on the list wins something, let
                      >me know and I could meet you there to load it.

                      I have seen for myself, there are 4500 parts and/or systems. It's a huge
                      warehouse of late 80's early 90's pre-vintage servers. Dawn of moden
                      Internet stuff. Early web hosting servers, etc.

                      see vintagecomputer.net/temp/

                      If anyone wants to go, let me know any maybe we can organize a group
                      buy/assist in identification.

                      It's just off the Jersey Turnpike exit for rt 541/ 630 in between
                      Willingboro and Mt. Holly. What I call Pemberton or Lumberton. I have
                      space in my Honda for one mini, heck a $100 it's worth it.

                      Bill
                    • Bob Grieb
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 7, 2008
                        Bill,

                        I'm not interested in a Sun server, but
                        since I live maybe 20 mins or so from there,
                        I could perhaps pick up something and store it
                        temporarily, or just help someone else load
                        stuff if needed.

                        Bob Grieb

                        --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                        > At 06:07 PM 2/6/2008 -0500, you wrote:
                        > >John Allain <allain@...> wrote :
                        > >
                        > > > From: Mike Loewen, February 06, 2008 7:14 AM
                        > 'dlcs3'.
                        > > >
                        > > > 10 of the LARGE'er machines are up on eBay right now
                        > > > for $100 each.
                        > > >
                        > > > Location: Westampton, NJ
                        > > > "I'm not a tech so I have no way of testing these babies so
                        > they
                        > > are going
                        > > > to be sold on an As-Is basis..IF you have any questions feel fre
                        > > email or
                        > > > call 609-702-9300 X 220 Jim" (from 160204758512)
                        > >
                        > >Hmmm... Westampton is very close to here. I wonder who this fellow
                        > is? If
                        > >someone wants me to take a look at something, maybe I could call
                        > this guy and
                        > >ask if I could go over to see it. If someone on the list wins
                        > something, let
                        > >me know and I could meet you there to load it.
                        >

                        > I have seen for myself, there are 4500 parts and/or systems. It's a
                        > huge
                        > warehouse of late 80's early 90's pre-vintage servers. Dawn of moden
                        >
                        > Internet stuff. Early web hosting servers, etc.
                        >
                        > see vintagecomputer.net/temp/
                        >
                        > If anyone wants to go, let me know any maybe we can organize a group
                        > buy/assist in identification.
                        >
                        > It's just off the Jersey Turnpike exit for rt 541/ 630 in between
                        > Willingboro and Mt. Holly. What I call Pemberton or Lumberton. I
                        > have
                        > space in my Honda for one mini, heck a $100 it's worth it.
                        >
                        > Bill

                        Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                      • Bob Applegate
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 7, 2008
                          I deleted the long chain of emails...

                          I got word back from this fellow.  He says we're welcome to come tour the warehouse and see what's of interest:
                              "Yes you can come on out any day of the week and see my wonderful 15,000 sq ft. "Computer Junkyard."
                              I'm at 609-702-9300 X220 "

                          If others want to go see it, let me know and we can try to meet up there.

                          Bob

                        • Herb Johnson
                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 8, 2008
                            "Bob Applegate" <bob@...> wrote:

                            > I deleted the long chain of emails...
                            >
                            > I got word back from this fellow. He says we're welcome to come
                            tour the warehouse and see what's of interest:

                            > If others want to go see it, let me know and we can try to meet up
                            there.

                            > Bob

                            I am not far from there. I emailed Bob my schedule, I'd probably meet
                            others there on the selected day. Not much there to interest me but it
                            would be a nice outing. Some odd stuff there might be saleable by me
                            in the Apple Mac world. The Sun and SGI stuff (most often mentioned
                            here) that I saw in the photos was either too big or already common
                            and not valuable.

                            No comments on "someday it will be valuable".

                            Herb Johnson
                            retrotechnology.com