Re: [midatlanticretro] Trenton

  • Bryan Pope
    Message 1 of 50 , Feb 5, 2008
      Evan Koblentz wrote:
      > A few people brought up Trenton ... tonight I spoke with our main
      > contact on the Trenton organizing committee ... told him we'd like to
      > do the same thing as the past few years, i.e. have a couple of demo
      > tables on the exhibit floor amongst the other UGs.
      >
      > He said "there are a few things going on with TCF this year", which
      > he'll explain to me another time (he was busy tonight), but he didn't
      > indicate any problems with us doing the usual thing. They like us. :)
      Hopefully the "few things going on with TCF" are *good* things...

      > This year's event is April 26-27.
      >
      > So, whoever would like to staff our tables, please speak up sooner
      > rather than later, and say which day(s) you are available.

      I look forward to being there on both days.. I will start practicing my
      oohs and aahs now.... :D

      > This biggest lesson for ME this year is to bring the correct banner
      > supports! Andy is quite on this list but he will (rightfully) kick my
      > ass if I make THAT mistake again.
      Don't you mean the crossbar that went along the top?? <duck>

      Cheers,

      Bryan
    • s100doctor
      Message 50 of 50 , Mar 16, 2014
        The TCF Flea Market was small but in a single large room; better than searching half a building as in the last few years. There was little "vintage" there but a few people had pre-1985 computing items for sale, and not expensive. I bought one. Parts vendors were there, I bought useful parts for vintage or replica work. There were a few small microkit vendors also. I'd compare it to a "local hamfest" event overall. Also, the Sarnoff Collection was nearby, and they showed some of their collection of RCA's computing history, including early 1802 devices.

        But TCF always brings out the "old school" of 70's and 80's microcomputer participants. They are worth meeting and some gave talks. There's how-to-make events for current "makers", the 3D printer and Arduino/RaspPi crowd. You can obtain a ham radio license in one day. And TCF always spoke to popular use of computing technology; that's simply become ordinary rather than extraordinary. The event was satisfactory and has value; the value has changed.

        Herb Johnson
        retrotechnology.com