minis and mainframe pictures

    Message 1 of 18 , Feb 5, 2008
      I visited the seller of a huge quantity of late 80's early 90's era mini
      computers. Here is a link to pictures. I also have an inventory
      spreadsheet of parts

      http://www.vintagecomputer.net/temp/

      ooo ahh

      too new for me, but eventually these are going to be sought-after machines.

      I am going to put the inventory of parts online and will keep you
      posted. There is plenty to go around.

      Bill
    • Christian Liendo
      Message 2 of 18 , Feb 5, 2008
        Do you think so?

        I mean I got into classic computers because these are
        the computers from my youth and well they bring back
        memories.

        Many of us grew up during the time of home computer
        beginning, so the machines we grew up with are the
        ones that are so sought after.

        I mean you could be right, I guess I have a narrow
        focus.

        --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

        > too new for me, but eventually these are going to be
        > sought-after machines.

        Be a better friend, newshound, and
        Message 3 of 18 , Feb 5, 2008
          From time to time, there is a discussion here and elsewhere about "what is
          vintage" and in the end it boils down to personal opinion.

          Purely from a *value* standpoint, these servers are at their low point.
          If there someday is something called "90's vintage" computers, this room
          is full of it. There were a number of firsts that came about in this era.

          It's not really part of our group, but someday there will be an Internet
          Dawn vintage subgroup. When I started my business in 1995 I had a P90
          laptop, HP laserjet 4L, Windows 95, and I thought I was cutting edge. Web
          hosting was not defined yet, but you could get space on a Sun, which
          allowed web page development with perl and text file databases. 33.6
          Modem..

          Maybe 20 years from now I will kick myself for not picking up one of those
          Suns? Maybe my son (he's 4) will wish I did?

          bd

          > Do you think so?
          >
          > I mean I got into classic computers because these are
          > the computers from my youth and well they bring back
          > memories.
          >
          > Many of us grew up during the time of home computer
          > beginning, so the machines we grew up with are the
          > ones that are so sought after.
          >
          > I mean you could be right, I guess I have a narrow
          > focus.
          >

          > --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:
          >
          >> too new for me, but eventually these are going to be
          >> sought-after machines.

        • Mike Loewen
          Message 4 of 18 , Feb 5, 2008
            On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:

            > Maybe 20 years from now I will kick myself for not picking up one of those
            > Suns? Maybe my son (he's 4) will wish I did?

            I'm not so much interested in Sun servers as I am workstations, since I
            started working with them in the late '80s. I'll pick up one occasionally
            for next to nothing, even newer models because some day they'll be more
            desireable.

            Mike Loewen mloewen@...
          • Ryan Harvey
            Message 5 of 18 , Feb 5, 2008
              Ah, so I am not the only person looking to the future? I look at these vintage machines not only as computers, or workstations, or otherwise useful things. I also look at them as little investments. Being 15, you would be surprised how far ahead I am looking! I pick up as many of these bundles of joy as I can, and I fix them up, not just because I like to, or the feeling of accomplishment I get, but because the parts are still available today. In the future, they won't be. So I figure if I repair, restore, and collect as many PCs as I can(and parts) they will be worth ALOT in the future. There are only a handful of us collecters as-is, and by time I am 55 or so, most of you guys will be dead(real bring-down, eh?). These PCs will be worth ALOT of money. Also, would it not be cool to get to let people see and maybe use things from the 80s? That would be to us like using something from...oh, the EARLY 1900s. I just hope a) I live that long b) the world doesn't end in 2012 c)the power requirements and such are still the same and d)my collection is unharmed in the future, whether by natural causes, or my own stupidity. When I am approaching retirement, I plan to sell off many of my computers for $$$$, but keep the very best ones, ones I particurally am attached to, and ones that are sentimental to.

              --Ryan

              Message 6 of 18 , Feb 5, 2008
                Message
                >>>  by time I am 55 or so, most of you guys will be dead

                Now wait a sec ... you'll be 55 in 40 years from now ... which means I'll only 73.  I sure hope I'm not dead by then!

                >>> These PCs will be worth ALOT of money. ... When I am approaching retirement, I plan to sell off many of my computers for $$$$

                Good luck with that.

                Message 7 of 18 , Feb 5, 2008
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I visited the seller of a huge quantity of late 80's early 90's era
                  mini
                  > computers. Here is a link to pictures. I also have an inventory
                  > spreadsheet of parts
                  >
                  > http://www.vintagecomputer.net/temp/
                  >
                  > ooo ahh
                  >
                  > too new for me, but eventually these are going to be sought-after
                  machines.
                  ---------------

                  I hate to say it, but it looks very much like where I work, except
                  our computers are all plugged in and running. I wouldn't mind having
                  one or two of those mid-sized SUN boxen to run my website from.
                  What's the cheapest this guy's willing to go for some of that cool
                  junk?
                • Mike Loewen
                  Message 8 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                    On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Brian Cirulnick wrote:

                    > I hate to say it, but it looks very much like where I work, except
                    > our computers are all plugged in and running. I wouldn't mind having
                    > one or two of those mid-sized SUN boxen to run my website from.
                    > What's the cheapest this guy's willing to go for some of that cool
                    > junk?

                    He's been selling the larger systems on Ebay, seller 'dlcs3'. Maybe
                    you could contact him.

                    Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                    Message 9 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                      I have been in contact with "Jim" and I think that a group buy might be in
                      order. I am working to help him get his entire inventory online, similar
                      to this web site I made for Campbell's Soup in 1999:
                      campbells-equipment.com.

                      There are some parts I am interested in, maybe an IBM system, I don't know
                      the costs of anything. I will find out soon.

                      Bill

                      At 07:14 AM 2/6/2008 -0500, you wrote:
                      >On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, Brian Cirulnick wrote:
                      >
                      > > I hate to say it, but it looks very much like where I work, except
                      > > our computers are all plugged in and running. I wouldn't mind having
                      > > one or two of those mid-sized SUN boxen to run my website from.
                      > > What's the cheapest this guy's willing to go for some of that cool
                      > > junk?
                      >
                      > He's been selling the larger systems on Ebay, seller 'dlcs3'. Maybe
                      >you could contact him.
                      >

                      >Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      >Old Technology http://sturgeon.css.psu.edu/~mloewen/Oldtech/
                      >

                      >Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Mike Loewen
                      Message 10 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                        On Wed, 6 Feb 2008, B. Degnan wrote:

                        > I have been in contact with "Jim" and I think that a group buy might be in
                        > order. I am working to help him get his entire inventory online, similar
                        > to this web site I made for Campbell's Soup in 1999:
                        > campbells-equipment.com.

                        Sounds reasonable. I'd be interested in Sun workstations, rather than
                        servers.

                        Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                      • Ian King
                        Message 11 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                          In addition to being a geek, I'm also a biker.  I'm still chuckling every time I see one of those 100th Anniversary Harleys go by - the ones that everyone who bought them thought would become invaluable collectibles over time.  Too bad Harley sold so many of them, that their chances of ever being anything more than a good motorcycle to ride are slim to none.  Same thing is true of my car, a Mercedes 450SL: so many were built that they're not at all collectible, just a cool car to drive.

                          And neither of those approaches the commodity status of the "personal computer".

                          Ryan, I'd suggest a good 401(k) plan.  :-)  Oh, and I don't plan to be dead at 88, sorry to disappoint....  -- Ian

                          Message 12 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                            From: Mike Loewen, February 06, 2008 7:14 AM
                            > He's been selling the larger systems on Ebay, seller 'dlcs3'.
                            > Maybe you could contact him.

                            10 of the LARGE'er machines are up on eBay right now
                            for $100 each.

                            Location: Westampton, NJ
                            "I'm not a tech so I have no way of testing these babies so they are going
                            to be sold on an As-Is basis..IF you have any questions feel fre to email or
                            call 609-702-9300 X 220 Jim" (from 160204758512)

                            John A.

                            re: http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZdlcs3
                          • Bob Applegate
                            Message 13 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                              John Allain <allain@...> wrote :

                              > From: Mike Loewen, February 06, 2008 7:14 AM
                              > > He's been selling the larger systems on Ebay, seller 'dlcs3'.
                              > > Maybe you could contact him.
                              >
                              > 10 of the LARGE'er machines are up on eBay right now
                              > for $100 each.
                              >
                              > Location: Westampton, NJ
                              > "I'm not a tech so I have no way of testing these babies so they are going
                              > to be sold on an As-Is basis..IF you have any questions feel fre to email or
                              > call 609-702-9300 X 220 Jim" (from 160204758512)

                              Hmmm... Westampton is very close to here. I wonder who this fellow is? If
                              someone wants me to take a look at something, maybe I could call this guy and
                              ask if I could go over to see it. If someone on the list wins something, let
                              me know and I could meet you there to load it.

                              Bob

                              ___________________________________
                              NOCC, http://nocc.sourceforge.net
                              Message 14 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                                That's him...Maybe we should have a field trip and take some trucks.
                                bd

                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 6, 2008
                                  At 06:07 PM 2/6/2008 -0500, you wrote:
                                  >John Allain <allain@...> wrote :
                                  >
                                  > > From: Mike Loewen, February 06, 2008 7:14 AM
                                  > > > He's been selling the larger systems on Ebay, seller 'dlcs3'.
                                  > > > Maybe you could contact him.
                                  > >
                                  > > 10 of the LARGE'er machines are up on eBay right now
                                  > > for $100 each.
                                  > >
                                  > > Location: Westampton, NJ
                                  > > "I'm not a tech so I have no way of testing these babies so they
                                  > are going
                                  > > to be sold on an As-Is basis..IF you have any questions feel fre to
                                  > email or
                                  > > call 609-702-9300 X 220 Jim" (from 160204758512)
                                  >
                                  >Hmmm... Westampton is very close to here. I wonder who this fellow is? If
                                  >someone wants me to take a look at something, maybe I could call this guy and
                                  >ask if I could go over to see it. If someone on the list wins something, let
                                  >me know and I could meet you there to load it.

                                  I have seen for myself, there are 4500 parts and/or systems. It's a huge
                                  warehouse of late 80's early 90's pre-vintage servers. Dawn of moden
                                  Internet stuff. Early web hosting servers, etc.

                                  see vintagecomputer.net/temp/

                                  If anyone wants to go, let me know any maybe we can organize a group
                                  buy/assist in identification.

                                  It's just off the Jersey Turnpike exit for rt 541/ 630 in between
                                  Willingboro and Mt. Holly. What I call Pemberton or Lumberton. I have
                                  space in my Honda for one mini, heck a $100 it's worth it.

                                  Bill
                                • Bob Grieb
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 7, 2008
                                    Bill,

                                    I'm not interested in a Sun server, but
                                    since I live maybe 20 mins or so from there,
                                    I could perhaps pick up something and store it
                                    temporarily, or just help someone else load
                                    stuff if needed.

                                    Bob Grieb

                                    --- "B. Degnan" <billdeg@...> wrote:

                                    > At 06:07 PM 2/6/2008 -0500, you wrote:
                                    > >John Allain <allain@...> wrote :
                                    > >
                                    > > > From: Mike Loewen, February 06, 2008 7:14 AM
                                    > 'dlcs3'.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > 10 of the LARGE'er machines are up on eBay right now
                                    > > > for $100 each.
                                    > > >
                                    > > > Location: Westampton, NJ
                                    > > > "I'm not a tech so I have no way of testing these babies so
                                    > they
                                    > > are going
                                    > > > to be sold on an As-Is basis..IF you have any questions feel fre
                                    > > email or
                                    > > > call 609-702-9300 X 220 Jim" (from 160204758512)
                                    > >
                                    > >Hmmm... Westampton is very close to here. I wonder who this fellow
                                    > is? If
                                    > >someone wants me to take a look at something, maybe I could call
                                    > this guy and
                                    > >ask if I could go over to see it. If someone on the list wins
                                    > something, let
                                    > >me know and I could meet you there to load it.
                                    >

                                    > I have seen for myself, there are 4500 parts and/or systems. It's a
                                    > huge
                                    > warehouse of late 80's early 90's pre-vintage servers. Dawn of moden
                                    >
                                    > Internet stuff. Early web hosting servers, etc.
                                    >
                                    > see vintagecomputer.net/temp/
                                    >
                                    > If anyone wants to go, let me know any maybe we can organize a group
                                    > buy/assist in identification.
                                    >
                                    > It's just off the Jersey Turnpike exit for rt 541/ 630 in between
                                    > Willingboro and Mt. Holly. What I call Pemberton or Lumberton. I
                                    > have
                                    > space in my Honda for one mini, heck a $100 it's worth it.
                                    >
                                    > Bill

                                    Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                                  • Bob Applegate
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 7, 2008
                                      I deleted the long chain of emails...

                                      I got word back from this fellow.  He says we're welcome to come tour the warehouse and see what's of interest:
                                          "Yes you can come on out any day of the week and see my wonderful 15,000 sq ft. "Computer Junkyard."
                                          I'm at 609-702-9300 X220 "

                                      If others want to go see it, let me know and we can try to meet up there.

                                      Bob

                                    • Herb Johnson
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 8, 2008
                                        "Bob Applegate" <bob@...> wrote:

                                        > I deleted the long chain of emails...
                                        >
                                        > I got word back from this fellow. He says we're welcome to come
                                        tour the warehouse and see what's of interest:

                                        > If others want to go see it, let me know and we can try to meet up
                                        there.

                                        > Bob

                                        I am not far from there. I emailed Bob my schedule, I'd probably meet
                                        others there on the selected day. Not much there to interest me but it
                                        would be a nice outing. Some odd stuff there might be saleable by me
                                        in the Apple Mac world. The Sun and SGI stuff (most often mentioned
                                        here) that I saw in the photos was either too big or already common
                                        and not valuable.

                                        No comments on "someday it will be valuable".

                                        Herb Johnson
                                        retrotechnology.com