Re: [midatlanticretro] Re: Want to get back into this...

  • Christian Liendo
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
      Memories!

      I used to fix SGIs in the 90s..

      I did training in the SGI building that is now housing
      the computer history museum in Mountain View CA. I did
      Origin 2000 and Onyx2 maintenance.

      I still have the complete manual set for Irix 6.2

      Hack, I still have a SGI jacket that when I wear
      people stop me about.

      When I did the training I took all these pictures of
      Silicon Valley, of Apple and Taligent and all the
      companies.. I went back about 2005 and took more
      pictures of all the places that closed.

      Weird.

      --- B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

      > > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi,
      > I'm Brian
      > > Cirulnick, and my website is
      > http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
      > > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o
      > crap also spans
      > > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old
      > "laptops" and the
      > > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
      > >
      > > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you
      > fill *that* up?
      > >
      > > ;-)
      > >

      > nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse
      > full of surplus SUN,
      > Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late
      > 80's early 90's if
      > anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom
      > prices. Located in
      > South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
      > bd

      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
        Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
        wrong. :)

        Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast someplace? (All
        are welcome, of course.)

        > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
        >
        > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
        > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
        > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
        > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
        > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
        >
        > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
        >
        > ;-)
        >
        > TTYL
        > Brian C.
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Kelly Leavitt
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
          Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
            I will see what I can do.
            BD

            > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price
            > and condition.

          • Mike Loewen
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
              On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:

              > nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
              > Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
              > anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
              > South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.

              I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
              in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.

              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                OK

                bd

                > On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:
                >
                >> nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                >> Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                >> anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                >> South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                >
                > I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                > in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.
                >

                > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

              • Brian Cirulnick
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                  wrote:

                  > Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                  > wrong. :)
                  >
                  > Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast
                  someplace? (All
                  > are welcome, of course.)
                  >

                  > > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                  > >
                  > > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                  > > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                  > > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                  > > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                  > > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                  > >
                  > > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                  > >
                  > > ;-)
                  > >
                  > > TTYL
                  > > Brian C.
                  ---------------------------

                  Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark
                  NJ area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in
                  Whippany, and get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live
                  in Jersey City, but moved because I needed a garage for all my
                  Volkswagen projects. Of course, my new larger place also allows me to
                  consider building my personal computer history museum.

                  TTYL
                  Brian C.
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                    >>> Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark NJ
                    area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in Whippany, and
                    get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live in Jersey City, but
                    moved because I needed a garage for all my Volkswagen projects. Of course,
                    my new larger place also allows me to consider building my personal computer
                    history museum.

                    Ah ... Close indeed, I live in Springfield. Let me know anytime that you'd
                    like to visit our museum!! (I also work near you in Rockaway.)

                    >>> building my personal computer history museum

                    Allow me to urge you not to do that. :) I think you'll be suitably
                    impressed with our MARCH group museum.
                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 6, 2008
                      Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                      > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                      Me too.

                      Peace... Sridhar