Re: Want to get back into this...

  • Brian Cirulnick
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 3, 2008
      --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
      <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

      > Is that an open invitation?
      >
      > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
      > that.
      >
      > Anyone doing TCF this year?
      >
      > I haven't gone in a while.
      >
      > --- billdeg@... wrote:
      >
      > > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
      > > bd
      > >

      > > > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
      > > on hold, due mainly to
      > > > school and other things that have made my life
      > > crazy. But now, I feel I
      > > > can
      > > > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
      > > where I could pick up
      > > > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
      > > area?

      ---------------------

      I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.

      Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
      Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
      Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
      Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
      occasional thing that I can't readily identify.

      And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?

      ;-)

      TTYL
      Brian C.
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008

        > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
        > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
        > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
        > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
        > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
        >
        > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
        >
        > ;-)

        nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
        Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
        anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
        South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
        bd
      • Christian Liendo
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
          Memories!

          I used to fix SGIs in the 90s..

          I did training in the SGI building that is now housing
          the computer history museum in Mountain View CA. I did
          Origin 2000 and Onyx2 maintenance.

          I still have the complete manual set for Irix 6.2

          Hack, I still have a SGI jacket that when I wear
          people stop me about.

          When I did the training I took all these pictures of
          Silicon Valley, of Apple and Taligent and all the
          companies.. I went back about 2005 and took more
          pictures of all the places that closed.

          Weird.

          --- B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

          > > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi,
          > I'm Brian
          > > Cirulnick, and my website is
          > http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
          > > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o
          > crap also spans
          > > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old
          > "laptops" and the
          > > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
          > >
          > > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you
          > fill *that* up?
          > >
          > > ;-)
          > >

          > nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse
          > full of surplus SUN,
          > Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late
          > 80's early 90's if
          > anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom
          > prices. Located in
          > South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
          > bd

          Looking for last minute shopping deals?
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
            Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
            wrong. :)

            Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast someplace? (All
            are welcome, of course.)

            > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
            >
            > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
            > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
            > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
            > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
            > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
            >
            > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
            >
            > ;-)
            >
            > TTYL
            > Brian C.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Kelly Leavitt
            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
              Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                I will see what I can do.
                BD

                > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price
                > and condition.

              • Mike Loewen
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                  On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:

                  > nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                  > Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                  > anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                  > South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.

                  I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                  in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.

                  Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                    OK

                    bd

                    > On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:
                    >
                    >> nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                    >> Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                    >> anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                    >> South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                    >
                    > I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                    > in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.
                    >

                    > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                  • Brian Cirulnick
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                      wrote:

                      > Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                      > wrong. :)
                      >
                      > Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast
                      someplace? (All
                      > are welcome, of course.)
                      >

                      > > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                      > >
                      > > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                      > > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                      > > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                      > > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                      > > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                      > >
                      > > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                      > >
                      > > ;-)
                      > >
                      > > TTYL
                      > > Brian C.
                      ---------------------------

                      Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark
                      NJ area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in
                      Whippany, and get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live
                      in Jersey City, but moved because I needed a garage for all my
                      Volkswagen projects. Of course, my new larger place also allows me to
                      consider building my personal computer history museum.

                      TTYL
                      Brian C.
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                        >>> Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark NJ
                        area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in Whippany, and
                        get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live in Jersey City, but
                        moved because I needed a garage for all my Volkswagen projects. Of course,
                        my new larger place also allows me to consider building my personal computer
                        history museum.

                        Ah ... Close indeed, I live in Springfield. Let me know anytime that you'd
                        like to visit our museum!! (I also work near you in Rockaway.)

                        >>> building my personal computer history museum

                        Allow me to urge you not to do that. :) I think you'll be suitably
                        impressed with our MARCH group museum.
                      • Sridhar Ayengar
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 6, 2008
                          Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                          > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                          Me too.

                          Peace... Sridhar