Re: [midatlanticretro] Want to get back into this...

  • billdeg@degnanco.com
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
      Yes. I almost always have free stuff available for people who want to get
      into vintage computing and need a system to tinker with. Most have a
      problem that is not worth (to me) fixing. For example I have to MAC SE's
      that need new hard drives that are free for the taking. I have two
      Toshiba laptops (3100 and 3200) that I will sell for next-to nothing,
      various printers, a box of hard drives and disk drives that need
      restoration/dead..etc..
      Bill

      > Is that an open invitation?
      >
      > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
      > that.
      >
      > Anyone doing TCF this year?
      >
      > I haven't gone in a while.
      >
      > --- billdeg@... wrote:
      >
      >> Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
      >> bd
      >>

      >> > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
      >> on hold, due mainly to
      >> > school and other things that have made my life
      >> crazy. But now, I feel I
      >> > can
      >> > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
      >> where I could pick up
      >> > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
      >> area?

    • Ryan Harvey
      Message 2 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
        Mac SEs, eh? I never thought to look here. I have a Macintosh SE FDHD that needs either a new PSU or PSU board. Would you be willing to let me have one of yours for shipping?

        --Ryan
        (CountryRiotNOSPAM@...)

      • billdeg@degnanco.com
        Message 3 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
          You have to come get it. Landenberg, PA or Wilmington, DE
          bd

          > Mac SEs, eh? I never thought to look here. I have a Macintosh SE FDHD that
          > needs either a new PSU or PSU board. Would you be willing to let me have
          > one of yours for shipping?
          >
          > --Ryan
          > (CountryRiotNOSPAM@...)
          >

          > ---------------------------------
          > now.
        • Ryan Harvey
          Message 4 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
            Dang. I am in Texas. Got family in central WV, though

            --Ryan.

            Message 5 of 26 , Feb 1, 2008
              Don't forget that the "MA" in MARCH stands for "Mid-Atlantic" ...

              > Dang. I am in Texas. Got family in central WV, though
              >
              > --Ryan.
              >

              > ---------------------------------
              > now.
            • jack99rubin
              Message 6 of 26 , Feb 2, 2008
                --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, billdeg@... wrote:

                > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                > bd

                if you want to give away that AIM development system, I'm on my way to
                the airport ...

                Jack
              • Brian Cirulnick
                Message 7 of 26 , Feb 3, 2008
                  --- In midatlanticretro@yahoogroups.com, Christian Liendo
                  <christian_liendo@...> wrote:

                  > Is that an open invitation?
                  >
                  > Just kidding.. Although I know a guy who would jump at
                  > that.
                  >
                  > Anyone doing TCF this year?
                  >
                  > I haven't gone in a while.
                  >
                  > --- billdeg@... wrote:
                  >
                  > > Come down to my house, I can fill up your car
                  > > bd
                  > >

                  > > > Until recently, I'd put my vintage computing hobby
                  > > on hold, due mainly to
                  > > > school and other things that have made my life
                  > > crazy. But now, I feel I
                  > > > can
                  > > > take this on again. Does anyone have an idea as to
                  > > where I could pick up
                  > > > some basic vintage hardware and software in the NJ
                  > > area?

                  ---------------------

                  I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.

                  Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                  Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                  Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                  Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                  occasional thing that I can't readily identify.

                  And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?

                  ;-)

                  TTYL
                  Brian C.
                  Message 8 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008

                    > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                    > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                    > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                    > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                    > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                    >
                    > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                    >
                    > ;-)

                    nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                    Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                    anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                    South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                    bd
                  • Christian Liendo
                    Message 9 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                      Memories!

                      I used to fix SGIs in the 90s..

                      I did training in the SGI building that is now housing
                      the computer history museum in Mountain View CA. I did
                      Origin 2000 and Onyx2 maintenance.

                      I still have the complete manual set for Irix 6.2

                      Hack, I still have a SGI jacket that when I wear
                      people stop me about.

                      When I did the training I took all these pictures of
                      Silicon Valley, of Apple and Taligent and all the
                      companies.. I went back about 2005 and took more
                      pictures of all the places that closed.

                      Weird.

                      --- B Degnan <billdeg@...> wrote:

                      > > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi,
                      > I'm Brian
                      > > Cirulnick, and my website is
                      > http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                      > > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o
                      > crap also spans
                      > > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old
                      > "laptops" and the
                      > > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                      > >
                      > > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you
                      > fill *that* up?
                      > >
                      > > ;-)
                      > >

                      > nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse
                      > full of surplus SUN,
                      > Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late
                      > 80's early 90's if
                      > anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom
                      > prices. Located in
                      > South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                      > bd

                      Looking for last minute shopping deals?
                      Message 10 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                        Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                        wrong. :)

                        Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast someplace? (All
                        are welcome, of course.)

                        > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                        >
                        > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                        > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                        > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                        > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                        > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                        >
                        > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                        >
                        > ;-)
                        >
                        > TTYL
                        > Brian C.
                        >

                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                      • Kelly Leavitt
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                          Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                            I will see what I can do.
                            BD

                            > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price
                            > and condition.

                          • Mike Loewen
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                              On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:

                              > nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                              > Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                              > anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                              > South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.

                              I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                              in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.

                              Mike Loewen mloewen@...
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                OK

                                bd

                                > On Mon, 4 Feb 2008, B Degnan wrote:
                                >
                                >> nice site. I know of a massive (massive) warehouse full of surplus SUN,
                                >> Silicon Graphics, IBM RS6000, servers from the late 80's early 90's if
                                >> anyone is interested in these beasts at rock-bottom prices. Located in
                                >> South NJ. I have pics if interested. Let me know.
                                >
                                > I'd be interested in seeing what they have. I have 5 Sun workstations
                                > in my collection: IPC, LX, SS20, Ultra 2 and Ultra 10.
                                >

                                > Mike Loewen mloewen@...

                              • Brian Cirulnick
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                  wrote:

                                  > Brian, welcome to our group. We have another Bryan but he spells it
                                  > wrong. :)
                                  >
                                  > Do you live near us here in the mid-Atlantic / northeast
                                  someplace? (All
                                  > are welcome, of course.)
                                  >

                                  > > I think I'm that "guy".... Hi Chris... I'm on.
                                  > >
                                  > > Introduction for anyone that doesn't know me: Hi, I'm Brian
                                  > > Cirulnick, and my website is http://www.obsolyte.com -- devoted to
                                  > > Vintage Workstations, although my collection 'o crap also spans
                                  > > Commodore equipment, Apple II's, really old "laptops" and the
                                  > > occasional thing that I can't readily identify.
                                  > >
                                  > > And Bill, I own a Volkswagen Vanagon... Can you fill *that* up?
                                  > >
                                  > > ;-)
                                  > >
                                  > > TTYL
                                  > > Brian C.
                                  ---------------------------

                                  Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark
                                  NJ area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in
                                  Whippany, and get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live
                                  in Jersey City, but moved because I needed a garage for all my
                                  Volkswagen projects. Of course, my new larger place also allows me to
                                  consider building my personal computer history museum.

                                  TTYL
                                  Brian C.
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 4, 2008
                                    >>> Oh yeah, I'm in the northeast alright (assuming that the NYC/Newark NJ
                                    area counts as northeast). I live in Belleville NJ, work in Whippany, and
                                    get into Manhattan as often as possible. I used to live in Jersey City, but
                                    moved because I needed a garage for all my Volkswagen projects. Of course,
                                    my new larger place also allows me to consider building my personal computer
                                    history museum.

                                    Ah ... Close indeed, I live in Springfield. Let me know anytime that you'd
                                    like to visit our museum!! (I also work near you in Rockaway.)

                                    >>> building my personal computer history museum

                                    Allow me to urge you not to do that. :) I think you'll be suitably
                                    impressed with our MARCH group museum.
                                  • Sridhar Ayengar
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 6, 2008
                                      Kelly Leavitt wrote:
                                      > Well, I'd be interested in pics and buying some units depeding on price and condition.

                                      Me too.

                                      Peace... Sridhar